$1,300/Hr I should have been a pool table mover

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were running a business and had to deploy 2 guys, who probably get a minimum of 4 hours pay...by law, to go and disassemble a pool table that is worth thousands of dollars and relocate it, and then go back later to put it back where it was, and you had to cover the gas for both trips, and you were responsible for any damage to the table or the house, and you pay workers comp for those guys, and you have to carry a million dollar liability policy, and you have a family who likes to do extravagant things such as...eat and have a roof over their head, and you have a storefront that has a lease, and you have a phone bill because you'd like to be able to receive a call from the next potential customer, and you maybe even want to make a profit...how much would you have charged?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nobody took anything "apart". 16 zips of a power tool to remove the legs is all.

So here's the way we did it in my last house. We used two floor jacks to raise the table legs a few inches off the ground and I had two guys (one at each end) keeping it balanced while me and a buddy wheeled it over about six feet, and then flooring was laid down in half of the room. Then we wheeled the table over onto the new flooring the next day and completed the flooring in the other half of the room. After we were done the table was put back in place and re-leveled. I called in a pro to do that job. He came out to my house and spent an hour getting it zeroed in perfectly. He charged me $75 and I gave him a $25 tip for doing such a good job. That was my total cost to move a 9' table to put in new flooring. Nothing was ever dismantled.

All three guys were friends of mine who played pool at my house frequently. I bought lunch for all of us after we finished the job on day two. It probably took us less than an hour to move the table each time (more like 30 minutes).

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What state dictates someone be paid 4 hours minimum? If employed in an at will state the grunt would get minimum wage if the business owner plans on making any profit, sounds more like someone got bent over on that deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were running a business and had to deploy 2 guys, who probably get a minimum of 4 hours pay...by law, to go and disassemble a pool table that is worth thousands of dollars and relocate it, and then go back later to put it back where it was, and you had to cover the gas for both trips, and you were responsible for any damage to the table or the house, and you pay workers comp for those guys, and you have to carry a million dollar liability policy, and you have a family who likes to do extravagant things such as...eat and have a roof over their head, and you have a storefront that has a lease, and you have a phone bill because you'd like to be able to receive a call from the next potential customer, and you maybe even want to make a profit...how much would you have charged?

I see what your saying. I think the word disassemble and relocate is a little strong for what they actually did.(See previous posts.) My H.S. guidance counselor really screwed up. Thank you for the thoughtful response.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never forget when I owned a 9 foot Olhausen in my basement when I lived in Ct and we decided to carpet the floor- the guys came and did not have the right jacks for my table- their solution?
They sent out for a guy who was about 6ft. 4in and built as big as any pro linebacker you ever saw- he had a long reach with Huge hands and -- honestly- this guy just reached under each corner of the table and lifted it straight off the ground as the pulled the carpet in place! he did this almost effortlessly as I stood there in amazement- no damage to my slates and the table sat very level on the carpet! I will always remember that day and that guy as someone definitely not to mess with at all!

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never forget when I owned a 9 foot Olhausen in my basement when I lived in Ct and we decided to carpet the floor- the guys came and did not have the right jacks for my table- their solution?
They sent out for a guy who was about 6ft. 4in and built as big as any pro linebacker you ever saw- he had a long reach with Huge hands and -- honestly- this guy just reached under each corner of the table and lifted it straight off the ground as the pulled the carpet in place! he did this almost effortlessly as I stood there in amazement- no damage to my slates and the table sat very level on the carpet! I will always remember that day and that guy as someone definitely not to mess with at all!

Awesome story, I know guys like that, should have called one.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here's the way we did it in my last house. We used two floor jacks to raise the table legs a few inches off the ground and I had two guys (one at each end) keeping it balanced while me and a buddy wheeled it over about six feet, and then flooring was laid down in half of the room. Then we wheeled the table over onto the new flooring the next day and completed the flooring in the other half of the room. After we were done the table was put back in place and re-leveled. I called in a pro to do that job. He came out to my house and spent an hour getting it zeroed in perfectly. He charged me $75 and I gave him a $25 tip for doing such a good job. That was my total cost to move a 9' table to put in new flooring. Nothing was ever dismantled.

All three guys were friends of mine who played pool at my house frequently. I bought lunch for all of us after we finished the job on day two. It probably took us less than an hour to move the table each time (more like 30 minutes).

Thanks for the response Jay, you know, the money doesn't really matter, but I was a little curious on people's thoughts. I know I came off salty. I just got the pics back from my living room and it looks great, so I'm happy again.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

That is spot on! It is tough to make it with a small business these days. Workman's comp is a killer.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm not sure why the rain is being discussed. I'm sure it wasn't the mover's job to decide where to put the table, and they certainly didn't cause the rain.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response Jay, you know, the money doesn't really matter, but I was a little curious on people's thoughts. I know I came off salty. I just got the pics back from my living room and it looks great, so I'm happy again.

Similar experience to Jay's. I called the guys that worked on tables in the local pool hall. They put the 9ft olhausen on dollies and wheeled into breakfast area. I had a problem with their relevelling job so for 650 make sure that is done perfectly.

Edit:. Dont remember how much it cost because insurance paid for it. Floors were damaged by water.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why the rain is being discussed. I'm sure it wasn't the mover's job to decide where to put the table, and they certainly didn't cause the rain.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Because I felt like it. Moisture was just an added bummer. Its being discussed because I thought the table was going to moved off site with four walls and brought back, I should have asked more questions.