Who is a fan of 60" cues?

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
68" cue for me. I am 6' tall and had Jacoby make the butt 31" and 4 shafts, each 31". I also use a 6" extension in the middle with no wrap. It isn't for everyone, but I like it.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only use cues (except for test purposes) that i make. They tend to be 59-1/2" long counting tip, not counting rubber. I have made 2 pc cues as long as 63" for others. As Joey notes, more work and risk, all out of proportion to only a couple-3 more inches.

Funny, when i actually shot pool a lot in my 20's/30's, i preferred 57" sticks, held them loose and "threw" them more. Trying again in my late 60's i don't have the control or casual consciousless fluidity for a short stick anymore.

If i used one up to the bottom of my bottom lip it would be about 65" long.

smt

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have grown to like them.
More so with wrapless cues though.
There's less adjustment needed to figure out hand placement.
My stroke feels a bit better and I can poke at balls without a rake.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only 5'7" and I play with a 70" cue. It works great for me since I have essential tremors and the added weight in the back helps my hand from shaking. I have a standard butt and shaft that are 29" and then I had an extension of 8" made. I then bought the Balance Rite mid extension which is 4" making the length 70".

Someone on this forum suggested the longer cue when I asked if anyone had any idea how to control my hand from shaking.

What a coincidence.
I'm 6-2 and have a wing span of 6-2.

I too have the same cue length as you describe above.
8" butt extension (home made - slip on) and balance rite mid extension.

With the butt extension I now feel weight behind my grip hand rather than in my grip hand. Allowing for me to pull the cue forward rather than pushing the cue forward.

Earl Strickland was way ahead of his time when he came up with this.
Now many pros are following his idea.

John :)

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with my 58" cue with an 5.5" extension on full time for the past 2 years. Makes total sense to me and seems to balance things out better for me. I only take it off for masse or some jack up shots.

I'd guess that 1 in 4 shots I take, I'm gripping on or mostly on the extension.

It also lets you not have to stretch for shots much at all.... I think people don't realize how often they are stretching a little bit for shots that I just play with a slightly longer bridge, but keep everything the same.

Next cue will definitely be slightly longer or with a custom extension that works seamlessly with it.

If it works for Shane, Jason, Earl, etc., it can't be all wrong.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 60" cue that I may put up for sale or trade at some point and I'm just trying to get an idea if there are many people in the market for 60" cues.

I have always played with 58" cues for the last few decades and the 60" is a bit long for my liking.

Also, the wrap on this cue is made of Spanish bull leather and is further toward the butt than my normal cues, so I'm usually gripping way at the top of the grip.

This cue is made for somebody with a longer arm span than mine or a longer bridge.

Anybody like long cues?

A lot of players like them, but I found out that my ideal is a 30" butt with a 29" shaft. Have not played with a 30" shaft I liked yet.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang-the-9, if you get a chance, you should try the Jacoby Ultra 12.75 in 30", fantastic shaft. I have a 30" Schon shaft that I turned down to about 12.65 that I really like also. Just as crisp as when it was 13 mm. A little more crisp hit with the Schon.

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'4" and always played with a 58" cue (never really thought about length). But like others have commented, I was typically holding the cue on the bumper without even thinking about it...it's just where my hand comfortably gravitated to.

A few years back I picked up a few 59" and 60" cues and now play with those regularly. If I try playing with a 58" cue now, it feels uncomfortable. I probably won't be switching back.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Dale Teague who was Cue-maker in Phoenix made 60” Cues mostly.

Then poof he disappeared like full moon one night.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Stellman also known for making Sailor Cues was an accomplished straight pool player. In his cue making time his early cues were 57 inches them They progressed to 58 inches and in the latter part of his building he was making 59 inch cues.

After playing with one of his cues I went to his shop in Racine and took a lesson from him and spent the whole afternoon with him chatting about his career and pool in general. On that day he told me I would improve my potting if I went from a 58 inch cue to a 59 inch cue.. I did so and he was correct.. All my cues are now 59 inches and I have one with a balance rite that makes it 62 inches..

Now I am considering a new all carbon fiber Becue due to their flexibility of lengths and I want to try an all carbon fiber cue...

In the end it is what feels good in your hand and I prefer a longer cue...

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I'm 73.5" tall with a 75' wing span. I enjoy and have since 1961 either a 57 or 58 inch cue.
My grip is in the wrap area. rarely do I get on to the butt area below the wrap. At my local
VFW there is one guy that is 5'3" and shoots a 58' cue and has his rear hand almost on the
bumper. Shoots a mean game of 8 ball on a Valley he does.
Reckon it's one of those what you're used to and if it's comfortable then ya got it deals.

hank

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I'm 73.5" tall with a 75' wing span. I enjoy and have since 1961 either a 57 or 58 inch cue.
My grip is in the wrap area. rarely do I get on to the butt area below the wrap. At my local
VFW there is one guy that is 5'3" and shoots a 58' cue and has his rear hand almost on the
bumper. Shoots a mean game of 8 ball on a Valley he does.
Reckon it's one of those what you're used to and if it's comfortable then ya got it deals.

hank

I'm an inch shorter than you in height and wingspan, and also love 57"-58" cues. As soon as my hand finds the buttsleeve, my stroke goes to hell. A short cue reminds me to keep my grip hand correct.

Last edited:

Nyquil

I have a 60" cue that I may put up for sale or trade at some point and I'm just trying to get an idea if there are many people in the market for 60" cues.

I have always played with 58" cues for the last few decades and the 60" is a bit long for my liking.

Also, the wrap on this cue is made of Spanish bull leather and is further toward the butt than my normal cues, so I'm usually gripping way at the top of the grip.

This cue is made for somebody with a longer arm span than mine or a longer bridge.

Anybody like long cues?
I am around 6'2 I like longer cues at 58 I am gripping the very end of the cue fairly frequently on a 9ft table. Some of this admittedly is caused by poor position play. The 2 inches can def a make big difference playing on a full size table.

Rusty in Montana

My first custom made pool cue was a Sneaky Pete made by my good friend Billy Saunders from a Dufferin bar cue that he added 6" of another Dufferin cue butt to long before Earl or Shane started playing with over length cues .
Billy made the first one for his brother Lance who was a super tough player with it , I believe he used a 12 mm shaft and had maybe 6 extra shafts if needed .

I broke a shaft for my cue once when i got home I glued it back together and used it ever since , yes this is still one of my all time favorite pool cues still to this day .

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anybody like long cues?
I had Randy Mobley make me a 60” cue and now I can’t imagine shooting with anything shorter. When Chris in NC was thinking about selling his Gus (that was a standard length of 58”) I actually had the flight booked to go look at it when I realized I may want to try playing with a standard cue before I make that investment. So I pulled an old Joss West out and started hitting them around. After ten minutes I realized I could never use a 58” cue again.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang-the-9, if you get a chance, you should try the Jacoby Ultra 12.75 in 30", fantastic shaft. I have a 30" Schon shaft that I turned down to about 12.65 that I really like also. Just as crisp as when it was 13 mm. A little more crisp hit with the Schon.

I don't like the Jacoby shafts much, all the ones I played with felt dead and thunky, same issue I have with many Predator shafts.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old thread has came back to life. I play with a sixty inch cue. Nobody ever comments about it's length when they try it, only it's weight. It is sixteen ounces and while sixty inches long with a wrapless butt the balance point is the same from the tip as a 58 inch cue usually is. While we call out the balance point from the end of the butt, the distance from the tip is what matters. I could have another six inches behind the balance point and nobody would notice it in the hit if balance points stayed the same.

Two things about the 57" and 58" cues being standard back in the day. The distance from tip to a person's preferred bridge was shorter, naturally positioning the back hand further forward too. Also, as a general statement people were shorter. As prenatal care and childhood nutrition improved each generation was getting taller rapidly, now I think height has largely stabilized.

While we want to imitate top pro's most would play better if they shortened up their bridge. If they did their back hand would naturally move forward on the cue. Moving the back hand forward makes speed control easier. Taken to extremes I call it bunting a ball. I play with a wrapless cue although I prefer a wrap. The reason is that I find two different surfaces under my grip hand a distraction and really hate being half on and half off a wrap which is where my back hand naturally falls with the longer bridge that I use too. If I get back to playing post covid scare I am going to shorten my bridge. Being lazy I keep letting it stretch out on nine foot tables. My old mentor from the sixties and early seventies was a big man playing with a short cue but he also played with a six or eight inch bridge and advocated even shorter.

Hu