Playing Under the Influence

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bout the same here. I wouldnt go into a serious game, money or tournament, stoned. But its really nice the rest of the time. :thumbup:

On the flip side, I have a tremor that is worse at times than others, due to getting hit in the head a lot (a couple of times with a baseball bat when I was a kid). So in money or tournaments, Ill have a double Jager before play to stop the tremor.

Life is funny sometimes. :D

Life is freaking awesome "sometimes". Other times, life is just "almost" to much to handle. The rest of the time, life in general is usually took for granted since it's not in the "awesome" or "to much to handle" category.

Some of us know all to well, that unfortunately it's the "almost to much to handle" part of life that ends up shaping us in the long run.

IMO.....^^^^^^^^^^^ part of our life is when we need a little of that "funny"....Funny is damn hard to come by at times.

Some of us....like you sir!....have earned a lot more "funny" than we seem to get.

Jeff

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
finding inner peace
and fulfilling one's potential
must ultimately happen "sober"
I think

affected by all
but decided by one

I like experimenting for small stakes
and letting those experiments coalesce
as part of a "clear" mind
for the big cheese

of course things don't always work out as planned
but this seems like a good way

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're a one pocket player.

pj
chgo

PJ, we're all one pocket players.

We may not play the game 1hole but, we do all just shoot at one pocket. Sure, the next shot may go into another pocket but, it will still be "one" pocket we're shooting at.

For the record, I'm not crazy about playing 1hole because it takes forever with some people.

This is my experience:

As soon as someone that plays mostly 1hole ask me to play, I already know the game will take forever. How do I know that? Well, because they (all 1hole enthusiasts) always play on our (people that play all games...not just 1hole) weaknesses and 99% of the time, that weakness will be impatience.....which always leads to forrrrreeevvvvver.

I've experienced more sharking attempts by 1hole player's stalling than I have in all other games combined.

Jeff....>>>>>> likes a shot clock for 1hole.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^

Very true.

I'm on huge doses of all sorts of meds. One type being pain meds and I assure you folks that I cannot play my best while taking it. On the other hand, I can't walk to the mailbox if I don't take it so, for some of us, meds in lots of forms are "necessary" just to function.

Accidents, injuries, illnesses etc...etc can and will at least hinder your game ...or stop it all together.

<<<<<<<pain management patient for years.

My game suffers bigtime.

Jeff

After making this post, I called a guy I met in the Navy. We had a conversation about a guy we played a few times. We later found out that he was a chem player.

We both remembered that when the guy had the mix right, man-O-man....he could hang with anyone.

We sat and watched him beat the ever loving crapp out of the earthquake playing BB 9 ball at some bar in San Diego. It was in the mid eighties. The guy busted the entire joint. Nobody thought he could actually beat Keith head up...he did though. I was based in San Diego (Navy) at the time.

Point being, later on...the same guy couldn't beat me if he wasn't using. At the same time, even if he used, if the mix wasn't right.....lol.....he was still dead in the water. After figuring his game/drug use out....me and a couple others hit him hard one weekend.

I remember thinking, "how could anyone play so well and then not be able to make a ball just because of the lack of drugs or because the drug mix wasn't right"???

At the time, I really didn't understand but, it turned out the guy was ex military and had an injury that required surgery. After surgery, he took meds and ended up getting hooked and as far as we know, it killed him later.

I've known a ton of people that played better if they used "x" substance for a while but, at some point....it never failed, each and everyone of them had problems because eventually, they had to up the dose to keep it going and at a point the dose crossed a line to where it not only didn't work as well....it actually made them play worse. It didn't matter at that point. Regardless of their game, they had to use "x" whether they played well or not...as a matter of fact, they had to use even when they didn't play....

Addiction is no fun......and pool isn't worth taking risks for.

I don't mean to come across as an a55hat or preaching. It's just that I know first hand what it's like to "have to have" something everyday just to walk to the mailbox and back.

Bottom line is, if you medically "have to have" a drug because you can't stand, bend or even walk without it...well, we do what we have to do. But, if you can function in daily life without such, well, you would be smart to avoid taking ANYTHING just because it may or may not help you play better TODAY.

Remember, even if "it" works today, it won't be very long until "it" causes you and maybe people you love a lot of problems.

Again, don't mean to preach to anyone but, we don't know who is lurking....

Jeff

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love to play people who are stoned, nobody ever said the stuff makes you smarter, more energetic or bolder.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
been about 45 years

Been about 45 years. I could play for small cash stoned, never tried it with major dollars on the line. Seen more than one goofy peckerhead that couldn't make a ball in the ocean think they were playing lights out when they were stoned. Absolutely screws with reflexes for anything else, and did make friends very sharkable.

When playing other people that were playing enhanced I just went into grind mode. Few if any can keep their mix right for hours at a time. They either went up into lala land trying to fight fatigue with drugs or they crashed hard.

I would bet pretty big that legalizing pot doesn't bump up skill levels at the local pool hall.

Hu

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing one pocket getting 9-7.
And I can play pretty good.
My opponent was stoned and kept going out to his car to toke up.
I really didn't care that he did this.
We played 7 games and I wound up stuck 2 games to a stoner.LOL

I think you mis-counted, amigo.

Please explain?

With an odd number of games played, you would have won, or been stuck an odd number of games.

Were you playing a race to 7 by chance?

I for one, am ready to drill down to the granular level to get to the bottom of this match report discrepancy. :eek:

Just kidding, I dont give a shit either way. :thumbup:

Pangit

Banned
Try to focus. Pre-shot routine, etc...

8f347bf8fe401ba1028cc14cc6b8603b--philippines-angeles.jpg
ed12f24850b5f2142eff6ec1aea726d6--play-pool-pretty-girls.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

432628140_d2f2efffbc.jpg

She got the Jack

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Anyone know who is the stoniest top pool player? I have no idea about SVB, but he doesn't seem to be the type to dabble in the weed.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With an odd number of games played, you would have won, or been stuck an odd number of games.

Were you playing a race to 7 by chance?

I for one, am ready to drill down to the granular level to get to the bottom of this match report discrepancy. :eek:

Just kidding, I dont give a shit either way. :thumbup:

Si, señor. We need to get to the bajo of this. haha

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always play worse when I'm stoned.

However, I recommend practicing stoned every once in a while. Sometimes it gives you a new perspective on your game and how to improve.

For example, when I'm stoned I get really focused the detailed mechanics of the stroke and how it feels to hit the shot. This is great for practice but horrible for competition.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just hate the thought of orange cue balls.

You know, Cheetos dust.

Why would someone ask if drugs will make them play a sport better? It's like asking if you will drive better if you close your eyes.

The entire attraction of pot is that it makes you feel lackadaisical; you become pliable which is how the Govt wants you. That's why it's legal. That and the new revenue stream from taxing the crap out of it.

NOT because it's harmless.

PJ, I am NOT judging and don't care one bit if folks want to smoke every day. Truly don't care.

But don't hide your vices in a "better pool performance" wrapper because that's pure garbage.

-von

Marijuana directly affects the brain’s dopamine levels. Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter that is involved in mental awareness, focus, and memory.

Smoking or ingesting pot will increase dopamine levels but be careful not to get your dopamine levels too high. That’s when memory and focus become impaired.

So, in the right amount, it can help players. You don't think a few pool world champions made a living at this game while not lighting up ? I know for a FACT they did and continue to do it.

Might be a reason why it's illegal in all sports. Heck, you don't think some of those young gun poker players are not smoking pot before they play marathon poker games. Concentration :)

I don't know, I've never tried it, but it seems to work for some folks.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Know a guy who won the BCAPL title here in Michigan. He plays in the masters division.

One day I'm in the bar, he's playing on one table I'm on the other. One of his friends ask him how he's been playing lately?

He tells he's been playing great, better than ever. His friend asks what kind of changes he's made. Answers, "just one, I quit smoking". He was talking pot, he doesn't smoke tobacco.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...when I'm stoned I get really focused the detailed mechanics of the stroke and how it feels to hit the shot.
Me too - in particular I become more aware of how it feels when I'm in proper stance. As I said, I'd rather get to that level of focus/awareness without the dope, but sometimes it helps remind me what I'm striving for.

pj
chgo

Muddog

Registered
Never tried it
If it’s like alcohol I’d say it all depends on just the right amount

Whether it’s billiards or bowling I’ve found having just enough to drink gets me out of my head lets me relax and actually play better

Sober I tend to over think things sometimes and in an effort to be perfect can psych myself out after my second drink I’m more relaxed and trust my first instinct and generally play better
After 5 I would probably shoot better slower as vision/coordination become impaired

I now when sober often repeat to myself something an old friend used to tell me..,. Don’t think twice.... if you didn’t get it the first time you probably be even more clueless the second