SJM and Jennifer Barretta

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"While Barretta says many people helped her with mechanics, sighting and other physical parts of the game, she gives credit to Stu Mattana for all of her position play, strategy, kicking, and defense. “None of this could have happened without my coach and mentor, Stu Mattana"

Read more here: Barretta takes Top WPBA Points List Spot

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,087

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She said the same in an episode of The Hustlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting!

Congratulations to Jen! Congratulations to Stu! seems like the two of you make a powerful team. Stu supplied a little extra in the skill department, Jen was and is able to handle the heat in an arena. No question that the player is doing the heavy lifting but a good coach makes it easier to play with confidence.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks, JAM, and to the others who've brought positive attention to me.

Though I pushed her and pushed her over the years to hone a very complete set of skills, and I kept her on course, the truth is that most of the credit belongs to Jennifer. Despite only taking up pool in her late 20's, she worked her tail off to become the player she is today.

Her play has drawn rave reviews from the likes of Darren Appleton, Alex Pagulayan and Mika Immonen, all of them World 9-ball Champions, so she knows she's come along well. Nonetheless, she also knows there's more to learn and she is committed to continuing on a course of development.

And so, I'll chime in with all the others and say "congrats to Jennifer." When she and I met, I was giving her four games on the wire in a race to nine and I was a slight favorite. Now, playing even, I'm absolutely outclassed. Ah, how times have changed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Though I pushed her and pushed her over the years to hone a very complete set of skills, and I kept her on course, the truth is that most of the credit belongs to Jennifer. Despite only taking up pool in her late 20's, she worked her tail off to become the player she is today.

Her play has drawn rave reviews from the likes of Darren Appleton, Alex Pagulayan and Mika Immonen, all of them World 9-ball Champions, so she knows she's come along well. Nonetheless, she also knows there's more to learn and she is committed to continuing on a course of development.

And so, I'll chime in with all the others and say "congrats to Jennifer." When she and I met, I was giving her four games on the wire in a race to nine and I was a slight favorite. Now, playing even, I'm absolutely outclassed. Ah, how times have changed.
Jennifer has clearly improved over the past 10 years, I’m sure in large part thanks to Stu as well as all her hard work. I was a bit struck when reading her quote in that article that she finally feels like she’s mastered the game. I’m guessing she didn’t mean to come across quite that way.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We now know who to blame for her slow play! And apparently her excellent play too.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jennifer has clearly improved over the past 10 years, I’m sure in large part thanks to Stu as well as all her hard work. I was a bit struck when reading her quote in that article that she finally feels like she’s mastered the game. I’m guessing she didn’t mean to come across quite that way.

No, she didn't mean it that way, she just meant that her confidence is high and that, for the very first time, she has an inner feeling of comfort about what she's doing. Trust me, the very best thing about Jennifer is that she always tries to learn new things about the game and is always excited to try new shots, techniques and strategies.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always loved Stu’s insight to the game. Hey Stu how about. Couple of your favorite drills.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Stu has been my personal 3 cushion coach since 2013. He gives me ten points on the wire in a race to twenty, Stu also gives me advice on every shot I take during the match.
We play dead even.;):eek::eek::eek:

Congrats JB your game is awesome.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

great story of success through perseverance
congrats to y'all on the team effort
the few years I've been hip, I've admired jen's approach to the game

it's amazing that she started shooting in her late 20's
according to azb, she was born in 1968(sure doesn't look it)
so she would have started in the late 90's
stu, were you working with her then?
with some talk lately about nature/nurture
I wonder if you think she was "born to play pool"
had good people around her and just worked really hard
or some combination of all- ?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu has been my personal 3 cushion coach since 2013. He gives me ten points on the wire in a race to twenty, Stu also gives me advice on every shot I take during the match.
We play dead even.;):eek::eek::eek:

Congrats JB your game is awesome.

Cuebuddy is being far too humble here. He and I were a three cushion scotch doubles team against our friend John and his partner, Mike Massey. We beat them, but it was Cuebuddy who shined brightest in this match.

We'll be back at it during the US Open 9-ball in April. Cuebuddy, you may consider this a challenge.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
great story of success through perseverance
congrats to y'all on the team effort
the few years I've been hip, I've admired jen's approach to the game

it's amazing that she started shooting in her late 20's
according to azb, she was born in 1968(sure doesn't look it)
so she would have started in the late 90's
stu, were you working with her then?
with some talk lately about nature/nurture
I wonder if you think she was "born to play pool"
had good people around her and just worked really hard
or some combination of all- ?

No, I wasn't there at the start. Jenn and I met in 2000 and have worked together since 2001.

Not born to play pool, Jenn had aspired to be a pro tennis player first. Pool came after that dream wasn't realized, and that's why she started so late. Really not my role to tell her life story, though, so I'll say no more.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I wasn't there at the start. Jenn and I met in 2000 and have worked together since 2001.

Not born to play pool, Jenn had aspired to be a pro tennis player first. Pool came after that dream wasn't realized, and that's why she started so late. Really not my role to tell her life story, though, so I'll say no more.

thanks for the reply stu
I didn't know she was a tennis player
as a tennis fan/player myself (also before pool)
I can see where one ball could be traded for another
neat stuff..thanks again

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, she didn't mean it that way, she just meant that her confidence is high and that, for the very first time, she has an inner feeling of comfort about what she's doing. Trust me, the very best thing about Jennifer is that she always tries to learn new things about the game and is always excited to try new shots, techniques and strategies.
Yes, I figured that quote was misleading to what she meant to say.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
One of my personal favorites is found in post #7 of this thread from 2005. It's pretty difficult.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=16353

Well, I didn’t see that coming...but it was obvious Jennifer has a work ethic.
...I just didn’t know she had Stu going for her.....:idea:

I did some reading off your link....I enjoyed it....I miss Chef Jeff...hasn’t been posting.
...my wandering took me to other threads...all before my time....
..DaveK had introduced me to Williebettmore and Breakup...
..and Barbara (Wilson stole my avatar) :smile:.....I’ll be reading more...
...thanx, Stu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Deeper Pool

Well, I didn’t see that coming...but it was obvious Jennifer has a work ethic.
...I just didn’t know she had Stu going for her.....:idea:

I did some reading off your link....I enjoyed it....I miss Chef Jeff...hasn’t been posting.
...my wandering took me to other threads...all before my time....
..DaveK had introduced me to Williebettmore and Breakup...
..and Barbara (Wilson stole my avatar) :smile:.....I’ll be reading more...
...thanx, Stu

I start reading the old stuff by old friends now and then. Reminds me that the pool really was deeper. Some great posters now, but not nearly as many.

It seems to be the life of 99% of internet forums. If they take off, they bloom, they have a life, they fade. Just the way it seems to be after being on the Net over thirty years. I miss the heyday of many sites, not just pool.

Hu