PPV Streams Are A Crap-Shoot

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It would be eye opening to follow all the PPV streams for a year and see what % of them have trouble by a good % of those that bought them. I think we would see a picture of failure after more than 15 years of streaming pool. I no nothing about streaming, but I do know if the streamer knows a place has low bandwith, not to try and do a PPV from it. That's just greed where I come from. Johnnnyt

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
It would be eye opening to follow all the PPV streams for a year and see what % of them have trouble by a good % of those that bought them. I think we would see a picture of failure after more than 15 years of streaming pool. I no nothing about streaming, but I do know if the streamer knows a place has low bandwith, not to try and do a PPV from it. That's just greed where I come from. Johnnnyt

I agree that some streaming output is real bad. The lockup and freeze problem is big with some streamers. I have been told to use Chrome instead of Safari. No difference. I have been told it is my router when my router works fine on other streams. I have been told it is my slow internet speed when it works fine on other streams. I have come to conclude it is on the streamer's end that lies the problem. But none will admit it. Granted, good equipment costs money.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably due to people trying to reinvent the wheel so others don't get a cut of the small proceeds. Understandable but unfortunate for consumers.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, 15 years ago, none of us could even spell PPV.

And what we have now is considerably better than nothing. People pissing and moaning because it's not like watching it on cable make me laugh. These guys aren't getting rich and do the best they can with what they have. If you think it's so easy then go out and do it yourself and you can corner the market. Otherwise quit *****ing or watch something else.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
And what we have now is considerably better than nothing. People pissing and moaning because it's not like watching it on cable make me laugh. These guys aren't getting rich and do the best they can with what they have. If you think it's so easy then go out and do it yourself and you can corner the market. Otherwise quit *****ing or watch something else.

People who pay for pool streams are just like anyone else in this country. They want to get what they pay for. They were told it will be a live stream. They were not told it will be robotic, lock up or freeze up.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know from first hand experience having spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours in the streaming booth keeping score, changing camera angles, watching over guest speakers incase they miss click, and watching the output signal to make sure the stream is going public. You know immediately when the connection dies. Plenty of shows have gone off without a hitch but viewers still have an issue. It could be their computer, their internet provider, or a number of other things that the viewer or provider can do nothing about. That is why some streamers (like Pool Action TV) have live technical support you can email or call and offer a no questions asked refund if you are not satisfied with the stream. They also have a chat box you can open and communicate directly with other viewers and the guys in the booth. That is the best they can do because both the viewer and the streamer have to rely on multiple companies and people from all over the country, and sometimes it is just out of their hands. There is a thread over on 1p. org where Helpdesk voluntarily got ahold of a viewer last night who was having issues and helped him out. They are simply trying to do the best they can with the technology available to them.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People who pay for pool streams are just like anyone else in this country. They want to get what they pay for. They were told it will be a live stream. They were not told it will be robotic, lock up or freeze up.

News flash- some will be better than others. It is what it is.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Here is a simple way to figure out if it is you or them. If everyone in the chat room is losing their minds it is the streamer, if everyone in the chat room is fine and you are losing your mind then it is you. ;)

As per quality, I stream in HD on YouTube and 480p on Ustream. YouTube has an auto detect for the bandwidth of the person watching so it will adjust from 240p up to 1080. So if all of a sudden you are watching YouTube and it goes from clear to pixelated it is detecting a weak connection on your end.

Lots of variables in streaming. I personally don't do PPVs but give sponsors and events good bang for the buck they are charged so we can keep it free for the viewers. Good for the game, exposure of sponsors and the event. Pool is still alive and well and streamers have certainly helped the game grow and give exposure to it. I will pat myself on the back and my fellow comrades fighting the good fight. FREE stream tomorrow at 5pm MST at www.ontherailtv.com . :thumbup:

Attachments

• 21740435_1957247721157005_3272827192831147976_n.jpg
    21740435_1957247721157005_3272827192831147976_n.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 398

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rolled the bones last night for the Chohan/Orcollo for the 1st time for PPV,,, and lost. lol

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think we should pay $14.95 and just go watch regular TV or pull up an old one-pocket match? I paid to watch Chohan/Orcollo live on Oct 5th and didn't get to enjoy it. Should I just GIVE 'em another $14.95 for tonight and then just watch regular TV with the wife? Reread your comment and you'll have to agree it's stupid!

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Here’s my $0.02 that nobody asked for, and which is probably worth much less.

Rather than b*tch and moan, I try and support those giving the effort. So many people are concerned about "me me me" that they forget someone is out there trying to do something self-supported. Pool is never going to get to the "next level" without viewers. And ESPN has given pool the boot. So, where are we? Live streams seem like the next best thing. In my mind, any contribution might help with better equipment, so next time the feed will be better, the venue better, the match bigger, etc. etc.

You think it’s hard to travel road as a pool player, lugging around your cue case and that's it. Try hauling around a NASA surveillance system and setting it up every other weekend. Surely can’t be easy.

It’s 2017. Speak with your wallet. All this millennial social media “look at me” “the world owes me” “I complain but have no contribution to the solution” junk has gotten about as far as it needs to.

-td [bought the PPV stream, watched the whole thing without any issues]

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s my $0.02 that nobody asked for, and which is probably worth much less.

Rather than b*tch and moan, I try and support those giving the effort. So many people are concerned about "me me me" that they forget someone is out there trying to do something self-supported. Pool is never going to get to the "next level" without viewers. And ESPN has given pool the boot. So, where are we? Live streams seem like the next best thing. In my mind, any contribution might help with better equipment, so next time the feed will be better, the venue better, the match bigger, etc. etc.

You think it’s hard to travel road as a pool player, lugging around your cue case and that's it. Try hauling around a NASA surveillance system and setting it up every other weekend. Surely can’t be easy.

It’s 2017. Speak with your wallet. All this millennial social media “look at me” “the world owes me” “I complain but have no contribution to the solution” junk has gotten about as far as it needs to.

-td [bought the PPV stream, watched the whole thing without any issues]
The irony of posting a rant against social media..... on social media.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got 3 words for anyone that is still naive to think streams can't always run smoothly.

Xtreme...Pool...Challenge

XPC streams a lot of events here in Florida. Multiple tables, HD quality, and I have never had one single issue with one of their streams. Not one. They even stream like 95% of their events for free. They'll actually be streaming 5 tables at a tournament today starting at 2PM Est.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF80er2eS8ruvKA9Nn5ZfA

I'm more than happy to shell out some money for a good match, but if I'm paying for something, it better be damn near perfect.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, 15 years ago, none of us could even spell PPV.

Actually ; to be fair while we're being fair, PPV has been around a lot longer than 15 years - think boxing, Wrestlemania, etc.Also streaming Johan been around awhile too - streaming is just running around naked ( streaking ) but while waving around streamers ☺