Was SVB The Last American out in China

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The small picture here is that Shane would have made more money, net of expense, by staying in America and playing the Turning Stone event. The big picture, however, is that the greater opportunity was at the eight ball event in Asia, and Shane understands that becoming proficient at this game will offer major money-making opportunities in the future.

.... so I'll give Shane some credit here for making the right choice.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he is also obligated to play one or two tournaments each year in China with a recent endorsement deal.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The small picture here is that Shane would have made more money, net of expense, by staying in America and playing the Turning Stone event. The big picture, however, is that the greater opportunity was at the eight ball event in Asia, and Shane understands that becoming proficient at this game will offer major money-making opportunities in the future.

And the fact that he has a very lucrative endorsement deal with the table company! :wink:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We paid out $1920 to 1st place in our Wednesday Night Pre Turning Stone event at Salt City Billiards. Billy Thorpe won,it again and then snaps off TS...10k is a good 5 days.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
If he want's to get better a C8B he needs to lose the long cue and long bridge. He does not have the accuracy of the top players. They pot balls at acute angles far better and have much better CB control, this enabled them to run out the trickier racks. He also needs to stop trying to beat the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he want's to get better a C8B he needs to lose the long cue and long bridge. He does not have the accuracy of the top players. They pot balls at acute angles far better and have much better CB control, this enabled them to run out the trickier racks. He also needs to stop trying to beat the table.
The way the Chinese players control whitey is crazy. Some of the best speed-control you're likely to see. In SVB's defense he does not play this full-time. Makes a HUGE difference.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member

I was pretty impressed he made it as far as he did, especially considering it's so rare for him to compete in C8B tournies.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I was pretty impressed he made it as far as he did, especially considering it's so rare for him to compete in C8B tournies.

His break won him a lot of racks, he was able to run out the easier ones but stumbled on the tight position and precision pocketing.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Agree 100% and more.
I have said it many times on here. Shane does not have Short Stroke Technique in his arsenal.
His Mid Stroke is bad to worse, if you can call it a Mid Stroke.

He can keep the long bridge, just deliver shorter, although shortening would not hurt.
Look at a few of the best players out there past and present.
Many have very long bridges but pull back short and deliver.
Look at Alex P, Dennis O, and Lee Van, very long bridge, short pull, smooth transition and follow through.
They all posess, long, short and midstroke and use them as needed.

This has cost him two World Championships if I recall correctly.
He over cooks the speed with that long stroke. He loses control of the mass, and runs too long, rarely does he fall short, if ever.
He lands on the 50,60, 70 yard line too many times. You can only recover so many times before it bites you.

To his credit, with his style and what he has accomplished is amazing, a fantastic player.
He has to be hitting on all 12 cylinders physically and mentally to get through an event.
I believe if he had the other stroke techniques he may have 2 or more World Championships to his credit.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Agree 100% and more.
I have said it many times on here. Shane does not have Short Stroke Technique in his arsenal.
His Mid Stroke is bad to worse, if you can call it a Mid Stroke.

He can keep the long bridge, just deliver shorter, although shortening would not hurt.
Look at a few of the best players out there past and present.
Many have very long bridges but pull back short and deliver.
Look at Alex P, Dennis O, and Lee Van, very long bridge, short pull, smooth transition and follow through.
They all posess, long, short and midstroke and use them as needed.

This has cost him two World Championships if I recall correctly.
He over cooks the speed with that long stroke. He loses control of the mass, and runs too long, rarely does he fall short, if ever.
He lands on the 50,60, 70 yard line too many times. You can only recover so many times before it bites you.

To his credit, with his style and what he has accomplished is amazing, a fantastic player.
He has to be hitting on all 12 cylinders physically and mentally to get through an event.
I believe if he had the other stroke techniques he may have 2 or more World Championships to his credit.

That's the thing, in American rotation games you can get away with cueing errors because the pockets are big and you are playing into zones, C8B you don't have this luxury you have to be bang on position. I also believe it is what fails him under the extreme pressure of the MC.
Any tension or movement in the back arm is magnified with the long bridge.
Mark Selby upped his game from low ranked pro in very short order after shortening his bridge.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
That's the thing, in American rotation games you can get away with cueing errors because the pockets are big and you are playing into zones, C8B you don't have this luxury you have to be bang on position. I also believe it is what fails him under the extreme pressure of the MC.
Any tension or movement in the back arm is magnified with the long bridge.
Mark Selby upped his game from low ranked pro in very short order after shortening his bridge.

Maybe he will read this and and realize he needs us.

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Right ... It was a great tournament for him.. He played great on those goofy snooker pocket tables. I think he outlasted every Japanese, European, Filipino, Taiwanese.. Only ones left were the top Chinese in the world..Sponsors very happy..

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love how people act all surprised that Shane is doing what's good for his sponsor. That's what sponsorship entails - you sometimes have to do things you may not want to do, because they are paying you. What's good for you is good for them, and vice versa. Phil Mickelson would rather not spend a few days a year schmoozing with KPMG clients but that's part of what he's paid for.

Meanwhile, in America putatively professional players show up to tournaments in ill-fitting clothes that let you see their butt crack when they take a shot and complain about how there's no money in pool...

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love how people act all surprised that Shane is doing what's good for his sponsor. That's what sponsorship entails - you sometimes have to do things you may not want to do, because they are paying you. What's good for you is good for them, and vice versa. Phil Mickelson would rather not spend a few days a year schmoozing with KPMG clients but that's part of what he's paid for.

Meanwhile, in America putatively professional players show up to tournaments in ill-fitting clothes that let you see their butt crack when they take a shot and complain about how there's no money in pool...

perhaps if there was more money in pool they'd be able to afford a belt.