Buying a Cue, I need specific advice - Please help

robkat

Registered
I am looking to buy what I will refer to as my "first collector / professional cue."

My budget is $1200 but I would rather stay under $1,000 if I can. I figure i'll turn this over to the experts, and when I say experts, I mean folks who buy and sell / play more than I do. Here is my brief story:

I'm a good solid pool player. 9-Ball is my game, however, I can hold my own in 8-Ball as well. I have run "a rack" before, but am not a pro obviously. I spent the last 20 years using a 1990's Falcon Cue which I LOVE (thinner tapered shaft for english). I used one other cue in my life that I instantly fell in love with... and needless to say, i'm trying to find it again, but it's out of my reach currently. ($$$)

It was a 1985-1995 Tim Scruggs, Collector, Fancy Cue, ebony stain, black points, *vory and gold inlay with the railroad tracks, it was outstanding. A "Monster" I guess? I want to find something as close to that cue as I can, in looks but also playability.

Here is my preferences for a new cue:
1. I love the look of a 4-point, not interested in the merry widows.
2. I love *vory for the ferrule, i'm guessing it's the hit?
3. White butt, I know that is picky, but the Tim Scruggs white butt is the sexiest thing ever. Once they yellow they never look the same to me.
4. I'd prefer black, white, grays in color. I do like the Bushka style and I have seen some with color veneers that are nice, but I know i'm being picky.

So here is the question: If I look to buy a cue in that price range, with those parameters, what is the best cue for the money I can find that hits like a Scruggs?

(New Schon, Used Jacoby, Used Gilbert, Knock-Off Balabushka from Adams, New Pechauer?)

IMG FOR REFERENCE ONLY
attachment.php

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you want something that plays like the TS did maybe you should contact Bob Frey. Not sure of his pricing or if he is making anything besides sneakies anymore but he worked many years with TS.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say go for a production joss or schon.

And as your lawyer, I must encourage you against stained maple. In cas I ever need to borrow it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Production Schon and Joss cues will not hit like a Scruggs, unless it's purely coincidental.
Stick to what was suggested & contact Bob Frey or get a used Glbert cue before the others.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a used Runde cue and use that,,one of the greatest hits that I ever picked up and wished I had gone of and bought. My cue is a Szamboti that was built for me in the late 70's,,it will stay with me as long as I am here,,those original Runde cues are what I would look for, and you might get lucky and find one for the money your speaking of.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Oliver

Contact Jerry Oliver. I was just at his shop and he has two cues that are very similar to the one in the photo that you posted, I think it was priced at $1100.

He can build it to your design, I think he offers two shaft tapers and any tip. He is the sponsor of the ladies Gulf Coast Tour, has a complete shop and a world class reputation for customer service.

Email: jocues@flash.net
Phone: 713-542-7276
Shipping Address: 2302-A County Road 124, Pearland TX 77581

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bhq

Test hit only. Plays good. $980 and I will cover shipping.

Attachments

• EC3E6501-4E23-4E46-9E98-C8FDE4C0E802.jpeg
    EC3E6501-4E23-4E46-9E98-C8FDE4C0E802.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,088

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
First off and most important - NOTHING will hit like the Scruggs, except another Scruggs with same specs.

I agree with Frey, also Jerry Rauenzahn (Jerry -R-) makes a great hitting cue in/near your price range.

-von

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josey , i just have a feeling it will fit you real good.

He wants the crisp hit of a Scruggs and the fast play of Ebony.
Plus he has a Budget to abide by

Josey full splice 4 point Ebony into Maple will play like his old Scruggs.
And he stays in his Budget.

Josey , fits the bill.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
He wants the crisp hit of a Scruggs and the fast play of Ebony.
Plus he has a Budget to abide by

Josey full splice 4 point Ebony into Maple will play like his old Scruggs.
And he stays in his Budget.

Josey , fits the bill.

Not if he wants traditional 4 point cue

robkat

Registered
You guys are amazingly helpful. That was tremendous and more than I thought i'd get as feedback.

My challenge is exactly as you pointed out... if nothing will hit like the Scruggs I had, the problem is, I don't know all the original specs. I know it was a steel joint, but no idea what size. I know the ferrule was *vory, but no idea what kind of tip.

I'd love a TS but I don't want to settle for design and style just for the hit. To me, the style is just as important, so i'm trying to budget in the middle I suppose. I will check out each of the ideas you guys have gave me. I'm hesitant to have a cue custom made for me, even if the price is right, for fear of a lesser-named cue maker not holding a value like a used Gilbert or TS would.

So the bulk of the responses say I should stick to a used cue, something good quality rather than a new Schon or Joss or something...? I suppose that makes sense if the cue is clean.

Well, if you all have anything in that price range for sale that fits the bill, let me know as well! The cue BigTony has is close in style but over $4k.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
A few things to note: you're looking for a "ping-y", steel jointed, ivory ferruled, four point cue, for around a grand. I'd find a nice, second-hand Jenson. About as close to a steel joined Scruggs you'll find.

Josh

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking to buy what I will refer to as my "first collector / professional cue."

My budget is $1200 but I would rather stay under $1,000 if I can. I figure i'll turn this over to the experts, and when I say experts, I mean folks who buy and sell / play more than I do. Here is my brief story:

I'm a good solid pool player. 9-Ball is my game, however, I can hold my own in 8-Ball as well. I have run "a rack" before, but am not a pro obviously. I spent the last 20 years using a 1990's Falcon Cue which I LOVE (thinner tapered shaft for english). I used one other cue in my life that I instantly fell in love with... and needless to say, i'm trying to find it again, but it's out of my reach currently. ($$$)

It was a 1985-1995 Tim Scruggs, Collector, Fancy Cue, ebony stain, black points, *vory and gold inlay with the railroad tracks, it was outstanding. A "Monster" I guess? I want to find something as close to that cue as I can, in looks but also playability.

Here is my preferences for a new cue:
1. I love the look of a 4-point, not interested in the merry widows.
2. I love *vory for the ferrule, i'm guessing it's the hit?
3. White butt, I know that is picky, but the Tim Scruggs white butt is the sexiest thing ever. Once they yellow they never look the same to me.
4. I'd prefer black, white, grays in color. I do like the Bushka style and I have seen some with color veneers that are nice, but I know i'm being picky.

So here is the question: If I look to buy a cue in that price range, with those parameters, what is the best cue for the money I can find that hits like a Scruggs?

(New Schon, Used Jacoby, Used Gilbert, Knock-Off Balabushka from Adams, New Pechauer?)

IMG FOR REFERENCE ONLY
attachment.php

Rob, cues are very subjective. My only advice would be Try Before You Buy!

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rob, cues are very subjective. My only advice would be Try Before You Buy!

Yep. I’ve bought 50 cues. They all hit different.

If your looking for your player try it before you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
A frey or a low end Scruggs are in your price range. I personally think older joss and schon cues feel about the same as well.