Revo deflection...curious

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just got a 12.4 Revo, Radial pin, up and running. I've been playing with a 3/8-10 joint with a 4" mid extension, into a 314-3. I took my 314-3 down a little bit to about 12.6mm. It seems to have super low deflection. Now using the Revo (with an identical mid extension in every way except a Radial pin on the male end), I seem to get significantly more deflection with the Revo. It is not a small difference. I love the way the Revo hits and plays, but am a bit disappoint that I will now have to adjust to way more deflection.

Anyone have any thoughts or personal experiences with this? I was under the impression that the Revo would have well less deflection than a 314-3, even one a bit smaller diameter.

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jon21588

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched from the z2 with the same results as you. It’s almost like shots with extreme side spin don’t deflect very much, but a tip of right or left deflect like a maple shaft. It’s definitely taking some practice to get used to it.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just got a 12.4 Revo, Radial pin, up and running. I've been playing with a 3/8-10 joint with a 4" mid extension, into a 314-3. I took my 314-3 down a little bit to about 12.6mm. It seems to have super low deflection. Now using the Revo (with an identical mid extension in every way except a Radial pin on the male end), I seem to get significantly more deflection with the Revo. It is not a small difference. I love the way the Revo hits and plays, but am a bit disappoint that I will now have to adjust to way more deflection.

Anyone have any thoughts or personal experiences with this? I was under the impression that the Revo would have well less deflection than a 314-3, even one a bit smaller diameter.

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

Just so happens that I spent about an hour with my 314-3 and 12.4 Revo radial. To me the squirt is very close. At the extreme edge of the ball the 314-3 might be a hair less. I like my Revo hit better, a hair more squirt is fine. My friend was impressed with the 314-3 squirt.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried a friend's 12.4 uni-loc. He had a Kamui black medium tip rather low. Way less deflection for sure. I'll experiment with a different tip.

KMRUNOUT

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend that was saying the Z2 and Revo 12.5 are pretty close to the same. Then I saw Dr Dave's Vid. confirming Revo is pretty close to the Z2.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

If you really want lower deflection you'll have to go with a 12.9 Revo.

When the 12.4 Radial version first came out in March 2017 I got one right away...just after a few hours I gave it up & went back to the 12.9 due to the extreme difference in deflection. Somewhere in 2017 & 2018 I bought 3 more 12.4s. 2 were Radial & 1 was uni-loc QR. Sadly the 2 Radials were not straight. The shafts not being straight were further magnified when I attached them to my LE13, LE Willie 1 & LE Willie 4. When I slap on my Vantage to the same butts there was no wobble/roll. The uni-loc QR was straight though. Not sure what the deal is with the Radials but I've never had any issues with straightness & deflection with the 12.9 given that I've owned several QR versions over the last 2 years.

After 4 radials, I finally found one that was straight. This is what I shoot with now even if it deflects more than a 12.9. The transition was easier because it plays just like my Vantage (deflection-wise) so I did not struggle as much as I did when I switched from the Vantage to the 12.9.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I really wish we had robotic testing for these things. At ~$500, I'd really like to know exactly what I'm getting BEFORE paying the price of admission.

Just as a tangentially-related note, I did hit several spin shots with the Jacoby CF shaft at derby, and the deflection I was seeing seemed identical, near as I could tell, to my z3 that I play with normally.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just love how subjective hit and feel are. Everyone is different.

I've hit with a few REVO shafts and I did not like the way they felt. The first time was while I was playing full-time with a 314-2 that I had used for years. I ran a few racks with a REVO and thought to myself, this does not feel as good as my 314. What's the big deal?

Recently I tried again (after using a Schon cue for some period of time). It didn't do much for me this time either.

But...if you love it and it motivates you to play more pool, then that is all that matters! 90% of this game is psychological.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

I know nothing but thought I would ask. Do you think the mid extension causes some deflection????

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Just so we can all understand:

Deflection is the SHAFT!
SQUIRT is the cue ball!

Thanks
randyg

That doesn't make sense.

Deflection and squirt are used interchangeably.

Using your proposed definitions, a "low deflection" shaft actually deflects more (the shaft itself) than a high deflection shaft. The deflection that is "low" is the CB deflection (squirt). If we switched to using the term deflection only to mean how much the shaft deflects, we'd have to rename all LD shafts HD shafts and nobody would understand anyone anymore.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Just so we can all understand:

Deflection is the SHAFT!
SQUIRT is the cue ball!

Thanks
randyg

Actually, squirt is not a good word for what happens to the cue ball - I have never measured any moisture coming from the cue ball in all of my analysis.

Deflection, squirt, whatever, this thread is talking about which shafts minimize the bad property and maximize the good property. Correct people as much as you want, everyone in the thread understood each other already.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really want lower deflection you'll have to go with a 12.9 Revo.

When the 12.4 Radial version first came out in March 2017 I got one right away...just after a few hours I gave it up & went back to the 12.9 due to the extreme difference in deflection. Somewhere in 2017 & 2018 I bought 3 more 12.4s. 2 were Radial & 1 was uni-loc QR. Sadly the 2 Radials were not straight. The shafts not being straight were further magnified when I attached them to my LE13, LE Willie 1 & LE Willie 4. When I slap on my Vantage to the same butts there was no wobble/roll. The uni-loc QR was straight though. Not sure what the deal is with the Radials but I've never had any issues with straightness & deflection with the 12.9 given that I've owned several QR versions over the last 2 years.

After 4 radials, I finally found one that was straight. This is what I shoot with now even if it deflects more than a 12.9. The transition was easier because it plays just like my Vantage (deflection-wise) so I did not struggle as much as I did when I switched from the Vantage to the 12.9.

I have not compared these, but that doesn't make sense to me. Narrower shafts normally have less deflection. It's part of the reason most of the regular shafts in the good old days were 13mm, but with Predator et al. coming out with low-deflection shafts, more and more ~12mm shafts came out. Granted, that's wood rather than carbon fiber, so maybe they construct the narrower carbon fiber shafts with a thicker wall??

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I've dedicated about 4-week time with a 12.9 radial recently and first thought the Revo resulted in noticeably more cueball deflection than my current setup. I'm playing pool with a 27" Mezz WXC shaft for 3C and a 4" mid-cue extension. The shaft was about 12mm in tip diameter when I first bought it used and it has been worn down to about 11.8mm now. What I also noticed is that the Revo has quite a bit more juice than the WXC. I can aim a tip-size inward and get similar rotations as the Mezz, hence making cueball deflection now comparable between the 2 shafts.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went from a 3143 with stock tip to a 12.9 revo with stock tip. Deflection was so low I could not get used to it. Went back to the 3143 which deflects perfect to me. I would be interested in seeing if the 12.4 has higher squirt.

Also, wish someone would come out with a CF shaft at 12.75mm, perfect size

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not compared these, but that doesn't make sense to me. Narrower shafts normally have less deflection. It's part of the reason most of the regular shafts in the good old days were 13mm, but with Predator et al. coming out with low-deflection shafts, more and more ~12mm shafts came out. Granted, that's wood rather than carbon fiber, so maybe they construct the narrower carbon fiber shafts with a thicker wall??

Agreed that it doesn't make sense since the theory is, the lesser the diameter the lesser the deflection. However, the Revo seems to be exempt from this theory. Not sure why but it is a fact. A few others have had the same results as me which was confirmed in the Revo thread I started.

As stated by Dr. Dave and others, the 12.4 has a similar deflection to a Z2. Yes this size is popular; well, due to it's diameter which a lot of people prefer. But I think it's also popular because the adjustment is not a dramatic as the 12.9 would require.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went from a 3143 with stock tip to a 12.9 revo with stock tip. Deflection was so low I could not get used to it. Went back to the 3143 which deflects perfect to me. I would be interested in seeing if the 12.4 has higher squirt.

Also, wish someone would come out with a CF shaft at 12.75mm, perfect size

Pretty sure that would cannibalize their wood/spliced shafts if they did that.