SJM is Begging You - Support Matchroom!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. Oops! I meant friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your ears. American pool is at a crossroads.

Next week, Matchroom Sports will be rolling the dice on an open event in the United States, namely the US Open 9-ball, something that would have been hard to see coming. Anyone who attended Barry Hearn's BCA Hall of Fame induction in 2013 and heard his speech about a) how pool gets so little respect in America and b) how poorly pro pool is received by the American media, must be very pleasantly surprised. Matchroom's takeover of the US Open is a breath of fresh air and a possible turning point for pool in America.

.... but what will Matchroom's experience be in its new venture? The naive will feel that Matchroom’s success is in their hands alone. On this forum especially, every time an event proves financially unsustainable, the event producers are, quite shortsightedly, blamed in full for poor administration and marketing.

The greater truth is that the actions of fans, players and sponsors will figure in whether Matchroom is successful.

Why Fans, Players, and Sponsors Matter

The Fans Can Make a Difference
Fans are limited by their own time constraints and finances, but those that can afford to attend Matchroom events should consider doing so. Those that prefer to buy the stream should do so. We the fans need to support Matchroom to the max while it grows this event. We're already a little off course, as on this forum, I've already read some complaints that the added money isn't higher. The added money will grow if the event grows, and that's as it should be. Patience, please.

The Players Can and Will Make a Difference
The players need to support Matchroom in every possible way. When it comes to this kind of support for event producers, the players only offer their support and cooperation some of the time.

Who can forget the way that the pros, wrapping themselves in the flag of their player union, opted not to support a high prize fund event that, I believe, was called the Ultimate 10-ball, dooming it to failure and eventual extinction?

The players, similarly, gave CSI little support in running its superb 10-ball event at the Rio, with Rodney Morris kicking up more than his share of the trouble. The event no longer exists.

The players tried to strong arm Allen Hopkins into jacking up the prize money at Super Billiards Expo and the result is that prize money was reduced. The event lost some of its prestige.

No doubt, the players feel that they always support the event producers who roll the dice on pool, but this simply isn't true. They, similarly, don’t think their actions do any harm, but they are, once again, mistaken. Will they support Matchroom or will they, as a group, harass Matchroom by whining about added money, rules, event format or playing conditions while Matchroom tries to grow the US Open? Well, we shall see.

The Sponsors Can Make a Difference
Will sponsors get behind the efforts of Matchroom in America? If they do, they will improve Matchroom's prospects for financial success.

Conclusion
We must all get behind Matchroom in their new venture. As fans, professional players and potential sponsors, we can help their chances of having a good experience with the US Open 9-ball event in this country. The quality of Matchroom’s experience will influence their appetite for further investment in pool in America.

Are we all smart enough to support Matchroom or not? Time will tell but I sure hope so.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. Oops! I meant friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your ears. American pool is at a crossroads.

Next week, Matchroom Sports will be rolling the dice on an open event in the United States, namely the US Open 9-ball, something that would have been hard to see coming. Anyone who attended Barry Hearn's BCA Hall of Fame induction in 2013 and heard his speech about a) how pool gets so little respect in America and b) how poorly pro pool is received by the American media, must be very pleasantly surprised. Matchroom's takeover of the US Open is a breath of fresh air and a possible turning point for pool in America.

.... but what will Matchroom's experience be in its new venture? The naive will feel that Matchroom’s success is in their hands alone. On this forum especially, every time an event proves financially unsustainable, the event producers are, quite shortsightedly, blamed in full for poor administration and marketing.

The greater truth is that the actions of fans, players and sponsors will figure in whether Matchroom is successful.

Fans are limited by their own time constraints and finances, but those that can afford to attend Matchroom events should consider doing so. Those that prefer to buy the stream should do so. We the fans need to support Matchroom to the max while it grows this event. We're already a little off course, as on this forum, I've already read some complaints that the added money isn't higher. The added money will grow if the event grows, and that's as it should be. Patience, please.

The players need to support Matchroom in every possible way. When it comes to this kind of support for event producers, the players only offer their support and cooperation some of the time.

Who can forget the way that the pros, wrapping themselves in the flag of their player union, opted not to support a high prize fund event that, I believe, was called the Ultimate 10-ball, dooming it to failure and eventual extinction?

The players, similarly, gave CSI little support in running its superb 10-ball event at the Rio, with Rodney Morris kicking up more than his share of the trouble. The event no longer exists.

The players tried to strong arm Allen Hopkins into jacking up the prize money at Super Billiards Expo and the result is that prize money was reduced. The event lost some of its prestige.

No doubt, the players feel that they always support the event producers who roll the dice on pool, but this simply isn't true. They, similarly, don’t think their actions do any harm, but they are, once again, mistaken. Will they support Matchroom or will they, as a group, harass Matchroom by whining about added money, rules, event format or playing conditions while Matchroom tries to grow the US Open? Well, we shall see.

Will sponsors get behind the efforts of Matchroom in America? If they do, they will improve Matchroom's prospects for financial success.

Conclusion

We must all get behind Matchroom in their new venture. As fans, professional players and potential sponsors, we can help their chances of having a good experience with the US Open 9-ball event in this country. The quality of Matchroom’s experience will influence their appetite for further investment in pool in America.

Are we all smart enough to support Matchroom or not? Time will tell but I sure hope so.
Matchroom needs to lead by example!

They start out with scheninigans and then expect the industry to rally behind it!

Matchroom European success is related to the fact that Europeans dominate snooker and Europeans love to see themselves in their idols!

Americans have not had a idol that looks like them since Larry Bird!

I support all pool ventures and express my opinion to see integrity restored. Matchroom built snooker based on integrity and honesty! No match fixing and the highest standards for dress of any sport! They enter pool and abandon what got them there! I was hoping for them to restore some class to the game and have been severely disappointed!

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They start out with scheninigans and then expect the industry to rally behind it!

Matchroom European success is related to the fact that Europeans dominate snooker and Europeans love to see themselves in their idols!

I support all pool ventures and express my opinion to see integrity restored. Matchroom built snooker based on integrity and honesty! No match fixing and the highest standards for dress of any sport! They enter pool and abandon what got them there! I was hoping for them to restore some class to the game and have been severely disappointed!

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

no, the snooker is pretty much carried by asians. they watch it in huge numbers, which leads to big chinese sponsors even on european tournaments. player wise they are not equal yet but not far behind either.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I for one am glad to see Matchroom take over the U.S. Open. I worked on the previous incarnation of that event for fifteen years and it was a roller coaster ride most of that time. I've also worked with Matchroom several times and they have consistently operated at a high level of professionalism at all times. I'm sure we will see more of the same next week at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, a well run event at a first class venue.

My only concern early on was upping the field to 256 players and attempting to play down to sixteen players in three days. That is a monumental undertaking that requires more pool tables, more staff and more that can go wrong. I would have liked to see them take four days for this part of the event and only two days for the final sixteen to play out. From what I see now, they have addressed this issue and it will be a hectic first three days. Shades of Derby City, but nirvana for pool fans with good matches going on all over the place.

I will be there reporting on the goings on beginning on day three when the final elimination matches are taking place to cull the huge field to the final sixteen. That should be a very exciting day. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup2:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

I'm sorry but since this is a thread about supporting Matchroom, I have to call you out on this. You're in the other thread and now here basically accusing Matchroom of match fixing and unethical behavior.

That's BS. You have made no credible case that they're doing anything wrong at all. They're seeding with international and national rankings (WPA, BCA, etc.), and then using Fargo ratings to fill in others who don't make it with those rankings. That's a totally reasonable system, and it's crap for you to be spewing this baseless stuff all over AZ forums.

You think all seeding should be done on the basis of Fargo ratings. Fine that's one way to do it. But even Mike Page says it's reasonable to use organizational rankings. You can make your case that they ought to just use pure Fargo ratings without baselessly accusing Matchroom of unethical behavior.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
no, the snooker is pretty much carried by asians. they watch it in huge numbers, which leads to big chinese sponsors even on european tournaments. player wise they are not equal yet but not far behind either.
This sounds counter productive! Having a Asian tiger woods of snooker would be a big help if the Asian market is behind the success of snooker!

The product of Pool is not visible in the United States market and abundant in Europe and Asia! Just look at the options for viewing in the United States! Facebook stream only!

Based on the dominant position of snooker on European television it is safe to say that snooker provides a big part of European pride...

Kd

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds counter productive! Having a Asian tiger woods of snooker would be a big help if the Asian market is behind the success of snooker!

The product of Pool is not visible in the United States market and abundant in Europe and Asia! Just look at the options for viewing in the United States! Facebook stream only!

Based on the dominant position of snooker on European television it is safe to say that snooker provides a big part of European pride...

Kd

they have an asian tiger woods, he is called ding junhui. furthermore they have better growth of young players than do the europeans. none of it is counter-productive.

who are you blaming the viewing options for though? whose fault is it that ESPN or any other US channel doesn't want to show pool? they don't want to show pool. pretty much their fault, and the american sport audience to some degree.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I would just like to add that the fan attendance for
Matchroom's WPM was ABYSMAL!!
I think we'll have a better showing on this side of the pond.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I think this is going to be an amazing and successful event. The fact that it filled months in advance and currently has a long waiting list is the first evidence of that.

I tried to buy VIP tickets for the last day and could only get 1! So I think they might now be sold out!

Many of the players are bringing friends, family, and backers from all over the world to fill the seats.

I'm glad that I'm going to be in the middle of it all--first as a player, then as a spectator.

I'll see everyone in there on Saturday!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Conclusion

Post of the year so far :thumbup:
Jason

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Conclusion

Well said SJM!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those that prefer to buy the stream should do so.

Are we all smart enough to support Matchroom or not?

Only a few days out and have they announced any viewing info on it?

The WPM they said the US would be viewing on DAZN. People bought the DAZN service, then they made no announcement that it wouldn't even be on DAZN, just that here it is on Facebook. Glad I wasn't one of the ones that bought DAZN and just waited till final confirmation of a working stream.

Hope the event is a success. Am still surprised they were able to get so many players that have obviously supported it at 1K entry. Matchroom also should respect many fans holidays too here in the States. They booked Mosconi over Thanksgiving and this over Easter (no, I couldn't care less about Easter).

Hopefully it grows and changes for the better. Also change the city from time to time too.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow wow wow, Mr. Know-all conspiracy theorist is here,

Yeah, you are right, they have a globally successful business, but they are surely buying US Open and did some shady sh*t on the 1st event, because hey, who cares about global reputation and successful business, right?

Some times I just can't resist myself, but have you ever stopped for a second and thought about it reasonably in common sense?

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Wow wow wow, Mr. Know-all conspiracy theorist is here,

Yeah, you are right, they have a globally successful business, but they are surely buying US Open and did some shady sh*t on the 1st event, because hey, who cares about global reputation and successful business, right?

Some times I just can't resist myself, but have you ever stopped for a second and thought about it reasonably in common sense?

There's a reason I cant see his posts.
Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I for one am glad to see Matchroom take over the U.S. Open. I worked on the previous incarnation of that event for fifteen years and it was a roller coaster ride most of that time. I've also worked with Matchroom several times and they have consistently operated at a high level of professionalism at all times. I'm sure we will see more of the same next week at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, a well run event at a first class venue.

My only concern early on was upping the field to 256 players and attempting to play down to sixteen players in three days. That is a monumental undertaking that requires more pool tables, more staff and more that can go wrong. I would have liked to see them take four days for this part of the event and only two days for the final sixteen to play out. From what I see now, they have addressed this issue and it will be a hectic first three days. Shades of Derby City, but nirvana for pool fans with good matches going on all over the place.

I will be there reporting on the goings on beginning on day three when the final elimination matches are taking place to cull the huge field to the final sixteen. That should be a very exciting day. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup2:

Your participation will be of great value here, Jay. This is new territory for the people at Matchroom and Year 1 of this venture will be a learning experience in which the logistics will test them to the max.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

What happened to 1,2,&3? Were you testing the quote option? Just curious :grin-square: I’ll watch, and even pay if I can.