List of Living 200+ Runners

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think it would be nice to just put an * after the name of someone who is no longer with us.
AZ can honor them as long as AZ exists.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have long suspected that Larry Hubbart, Mike Sigel's mentor, ran over 200, and even thought 300 to be a possibility, but it wasn't until today that I determined it for sure. In the 1980's, Larry Hubbart ran 243 balls.

I understood from Mike that it was Irving Crane that he played straight pool with as a teenager in rochester NY to learn the game- did not know Larry was an influence to Mike.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have long suspected that Larry Hubbart, Mike Sigel's mentor, ran over 200, and even thought 300 to be a possibility, but it wasn't until today that I determined it for sure. In the 1980's, Larry Hubbart ran 243 balls.

That's about the same as Abruzzo. He told me he traveled with Wimpy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I understood from Mike that it was Irving Crane that he played straight pool with as a teenager in rochester NY to learn the game- did not know Larry was an influence to Mike.

Irving was a lesser influence than Larry, but there's no doubt that by watching Irving so often in Rochester, Mike learned things that few have ever learned. Mike has mentioned to me how as a kid he would rack for Crane during some of Irving's practices, and yes, they played some.

... but Larry is the guy who developed Mike, took him on the road, managed him, and helped turn him into a worldbeater.

Both of them were important influences.

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
I'm 100% sure that Albin Ouschan ran over 200 too. Don't know the exact number, but I think it was something around 270 balls.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The “new additions” have three names that surely aren’t from the Czech Republic!

Pete Tascarella Sr is a for sure (270+).

Freddie <~~~ not threatening the list

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
The “new additions” have three names that surely aren’t from the Czech Republic!

Pete Tascarella Sr is a for sure (270+).

Freddie <~~~ not threatening the list

Thank you Freddie! Did this one quickly - I will clean tonight. Apologies!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Please remove Neptune Joe Frady from the list.
He recently passed away.

Sad to hear. Joe won plenty of titles and he was also a capable action player. At Chicago Billiards in Connecticut in about 1997, I watched while Neptune Joe beat Ginky 15-2 in a nine ball race with some of the best pool imaginable. As they were playing even, Ginky was a slight favorite, but not on that occasion!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear. Joe won plenty of titles and he was also a capable action player. At Chicago Billiards in Connecticut in about 1997, I watched while Neptune Joe beat Ginky 15-2 in a nine ball race with some of the best pool imaginable. As they were playing even, Ginky was a slight favorite, but not on that occasion!

I knew Joe for many years and played a lot of pool with him.
He was a hot and cold player.
You never knew which one would show up.
When the hot Joe showed up he had the ability to beat anyone 9 ball or straight pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I knew Joe for many years and played a lot of pool with him.
He was a hot and cold player.
You never knew which one would show up.
When the hot Joe showed up he had the ability to beat anyone 9 ball or straight pool.

Yup, I knew him, too. His life was very up and down and, in my opinion, he tended to play better pool when his life was more stable. He was a gifted player for sure who owned a gear that made him a guy you never wanted to see in your draw in competition.

Gone but not forgotten.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember about that time frame 1997 there was a tournament in Hamden CT run by Sal who also owned Action billiards nearby - Sal brings in Neptune Joe as a ringer and most guys like me in Ct at the time did not know him- I was advancing pretty good in this tourney and then matched with Joe and he totally destroyed me. Never forget how good that guy could play!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I remember about that time frame 1997 there was a tournament in Hamden CT run by Sal who also owned Action billiards nearby - Sal brings in Neptune Joe as a ringer and most guys like me in Ct at the time did not know him- I was advancing pretty good in this tourney and then matched with Joe and he totally destroyed me. Never forget how good that guy could play!

Good story! Yeah, Joe was crazy tough to beat.

I'm a little surprised that Joe was under the radar, though, as in the 1990's, he often competed on the All About Pool Tour, a de facto forerunner of today's Joss Tour.

Joe would have played in his share of events in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachussetts, New York and New Jersey. If he was under the radar, it was likely because he sometimes played in the shadow of George "Ginky" San Souci and Tony Robles, who were combining to win so many of the events in which he played.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Ruslan Chinakhov with the runs of 211, 223 and 243 recently.

Oh wait, he was on the list already with 203... :thumbup: