best Tip for my predator 314 shaft

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
thinking about a kamaui super soft tip. any good recommendations ?
Ok, I'm going to say this as gently as I can. Tips are like shoes, there are a plethora of choices in all different styles. What might be right for me might not be right for you and as you're the only one that knows your game and style and what type of "hit" you like then how can anyone give you a good answer here?

I will say this for you and everyone else. This whole super soft, soft, medium crap regarding tips that has occurred over the years is laughable. A tip is a small piece of leather that once you attach it you are going to then subject it to pounding against phenolic balls that are extremely hard. How long before it becomes hard as a rock from that anyway? Save yourself the mushrooming that come with these fad hardness's and get yourself a hard tip from jump, its going to end up that way anyway and will save you trimming the mushrooming of softer tips. You want a brand recommendation? Try a G2. This concludes the lessons for the day.:thumbup:

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member

Don't have the SS Kamui; I have the clear/black soft on my barroom player. It's been on for four or five years. See's about a hour or two of play a week. I didn't trim it down more than necessary to put the radius on. Over the years it has hardened to, in my estimation, to a medium/hard. I've had to trim some minimal mushrooming off it a couple of times. The tip has compressed some, I'd say it's 2/3's to 1/2 its original height. I very rarely scuff, just tip pick occasionally and not too aggressively. It's on an OB2.
My other player which stays at a club I belong to, has a kamui medium brown that I bought when they first came out. It's been on for as least ten years and sees at least two hours of play a week. Can't remember if I had to trim any mushrooming, it's been that long; it's been at the club five years. Very rarely scuff, gets picked probably once a week. Still over 2/3's of tip left; plays medium/hard. On an OB1
Oh...I break with both sticks.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Be careful here. It’s my understanding that the hardness of a mfg tips is relative to the other tips. For instance, one mfg super soft tip is the softest tip they have; this super soft tip may be harder than the soft tip from another mfg. Keep in mind, the tip will harden over time, as stated above. Best advice, find one you like and stay with it until the mfg manages to have big variations in the tip’s hardness levels.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The soft Kamui black & black clear seems like a better tip than the super soft.
I the the soft black clear is one of the best tips out there, and I try a lot of tips.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had a black Kamui Super Soft on my Predator 314 and liked it, until it stared glazing over and hardening up all the time.

I traded it out for an Ultra-skin black soft tip and like it 100 times better.

I use that tip on all my cues now.

It also costs 1/10 of what a Kamui tip costs.

RIGOR

Registered
I put a Zan Hybrid Max on my Jacoby Ultra Pro. 12.5 .
I really hated the shaft when I got it about 6 months ago
I quit playing with it.
I was ready to put it up for sale and a friend of mine said to try that Zan HM out.
figured a new tip would help in my sale.
I cant believe how this tip changed the shaft .
I have played Sniper,kamui,and everest.
there is no right tip, but I got Lucky and it works very good with that shaft.
This tip is worth the money.. $28 a tip J/S

Good Luck with your choice.....

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had the yellow predator victory medium tip put on my 314-2 shaft for over 2 years now and like it more than my ultra skin soft. My ultra skin soft mushroomed too much for my liking.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a black Kamui Super Soft on my Predator 314 and liked it, until it stared glazing over and hardening up all the time.

I traded it out for an Ultra-skin black soft tip and like it 100 times better.

I use that tip on all my cues now.

It also costs 1/10 of what a Kamui tip costs.

I love Ultraskin tips, especially in medium hardness (my preference)--they are top tier to me, even regardless of price (I have maybe 5 black and 4 ivory new ones ready to replace a few old tips). The first one I experienced came stock on a Bob Daniel's 360/P shaft that felt really good, but I didn't much attention...and about two years later when I ordered my first Meucci w/ Pro shaft, it came with Ultraskin medium and I immediately realized these are one of my favorite tips. Kamui tips are on the majority of my cues compared to any other brand, and in both tan and black iterations have always been great to me. However, the original Zan Plus soft that came with my EX-Pro was the best tip I've ever used, period--it held its shape, barely needed any care/scuffing for the longest freakin' time.

To the OP, why not just keep the Predator Victory Med tip that comes with the cue? The two Predator shafts I have are a 29" Z3 and a 30" S-tuned Z3, both with this stock tip and play amazingly. I'd recommend trying them out, then see if/what you like or dislike about them, and then possibly look into alternatives.