Acoustic wall drapes/16x20 room

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Looking for those whom might of done this to a pool room or any room in their house, to help with noise 'echo's' from the walls in That room. I will attach/staple the drapes too the top of each wall....their only function....reduce noise bounce. It will have Nothing to do with how it looks, function and price are main concerns. 8' walls. Don't want to stitch any fabric together, just hang em side by side. Do not want drape rods, or drapes with rod holes (expensive, not needed with this setup).

Black Balled....your comments will not be appreciated within this thread, UNLESS they are constructive and positive in nature.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Insulated Blackout Curtains will be the closest “off the rack” solution.

Bamboo wood flooring on the wall.

Cork tiles can be glued to the wall. Very ugly, very expensive.

Sound board or bulletin board material in 4x8 sheets. Rough surface, ugly.

***Upholstered sound board panels hung on the wall. Best looking solution.***

Carpet the wall. Least amount of labor. Can be nice or real ugly.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Insulated Blackout Curtains will be the closest “off the rack” solution.

Bamboo wood flooring on the wall.

Cork tiles can be glued to the wall. Very ugly, very expensive.

Sound board or bulletin board material in 4x8 sheets. Rough surface, ugly.

***Upholstered sound board panels hung on the wall. Best looking solution.***

Carpet the wall. Least amount of labor. Can be nice or real ugly.

Thx for your ideas....looks tho, are NOT important....function/cost/ease of install are goals.
One suggestion, tho too tacky I think, carpet remnants, I did tho like the idea/sound defaning and cost. Bamboo, Hummmmmmm, tho never saw any in 8' lengths, usually shorter.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Quickest would be the raw sound/bulletin board.
You could paint it to keep the material from shedding.
Putting cloth on each panel is quick and makes it look really nice.

Not carpet remnants....outdoor carpet, contact cemented to the wall.
Trim it with moulding.

Last edited:

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking for quick and easy, have you considered a spray on textured acoustic paint? Gives a rough surface, usually used on ceilings but don't see why you couldn't use it on walls.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called a business that does sound proofing a while back. My man cave shares a wall with my oldest daughters bedroom and the sound of the balls coming down table into the return wakes her up occasionally.

Keep in mind they are a business, but what they told me was that the soundproofing curtains will likely have a negligible effect. The said the textured foam sound proofing tiles would be better from a noise transference aspect, but that to really soundproof I would have to tear out the drywall and add soundproof insulation INSIDE the wall...$$$

Being a problem solver and solution finder, I just make my daughter sleep in my shooting earmuffs...

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called a business that does sound proofing a while back. My man cave shares a wall with my oldest daughters bedroom and the sound of the balls coming down table into the return wakes her up occasionally.

There's a big difference in keeping sound out that is coming through a wall, and cutting down on echos from reflected sound inside a room.

Sound proofing is hard.

Killing echos is relatively easy. Not easy, just moreso. Every place you add texture cuts down a bit - carpets, drapes, shades, furniture, fat people wearing sweaters standing around...

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
retired sound engineer here: i've done this quick & dirty with mover's blankets that i had lying around. they do kill a lot of the most objectionable noise. i put them up when i had my table in a cement block walled room and they made a huge difference. very easy to put up, especially if you truly don't care how it looks. you can get these cheap from any local storage unit operation.

the right answer, though, is Owens Corning 703, which you can get in batts at Home Depot or the like. it will Really do the job! you can get fancy and cover it with fabric and it will even look sharp. inexpensive.

"textured foam" mentioned above is no more effective than the moving blankets and is waaay more work to put up compared to stapling moving blankets.

Island Drive

Silver Member

Keep in mind they are a business, but what they told me was that the soundproofing curtains will likely have a negligible effect. The said the textured foam sound proofing tiles would be better from a noise transference aspect, but that to really soundproof I would have to tear out the drywall and add soundproof insulation INSIDE the wall...$$$

Being a problem solver and solution finder, I just make my daughter sleep in my shooting earmuffs...

16x20 stand alone building....

I added R15 insulation to all my walls, then overlaid 4x8' plywood sheets. It's the ball sounds within the structure I want to eliminate, only want to hear the crack of a rack one time thru my head, multiples are out.

To protect my black raspberry plants in my back yard, I've covered em with bamboo rolls and they are the perfect filter in the strong CO sun. The rolls that I used are 6' H x 10' L. I think I'll do this, get 70' of 6' rolls and then skirt the tops with the 30'' x 96'' thatch, I think it will create a nice look, and the thatch skirting the top, might create that Jungle/Jamaican look when finished.

Thx guys....

Last edited:

MichaelEGR

Registered
I have a 23x23' room that originally and still is a 32 speaker multichannel dome / R&D spot for spatial audio; got a 9' table in the middle though. Carpet on the floor and thickest theatrical drapes surrounding all sides. Perhaps look for used theatrical drapes. It's not the cheapest solution, but works extremely well.

suharsh

Registered
strangely enough I am looking at similar requirement but for my home theater and below are the options I am considering:

1. QuietRock (from Lowe)

2. Go to Amazon and look for NiceTown sound proofing curtains .. you will find different colors, sizes .. also Amazon will provide with alternative brands that you can check.

As mentioned in an earlier reply .. moving blankets .. but i am not considering as it wouldn't give that aesthetic look for home theater.

3. Fabric based wallpaper! Really? Yes. See link below .. different color options too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hytex-Q...Acoustic-Sound-Proofing-8PD6V45BQ0D/305970604

The last one is more likely what I might settle for.

Good luck.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
#1 is $54 a sheet and should be install like gypsum wall sheets.

#3 Looks like outdoor carpet, which will work, as I suggested earlier.

strangely enough I am looking at similar requirement but for my home theater and below are the options I am considering:

1. QuietRock (from Lowe)

2. Go to Amazon and look for NiceTown sound proofing curtains .. you will find different colors, sizes .. also Amazon will provide with alternative brands that you can check.

As mentioned in an earlier reply .. moving blankets .. but i am not considering as it wouldn't give that aesthetic look for home theater.

3. Fabric based wallpaper! Really? Yes. See link below .. different color options too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hytex-Q...Acoustic-Sound-Proofing-8PD6V45BQ0D/305970604

The last one is more likely what I might settle for.

Good luck.

Island Drive

Silver Member
#1 is $54 a sheet and should be install like gypsum wall sheets.

#3 Looks like outdoor carpet, which will work, as I suggested earlier.

I just ck'd H.Depot. You can get a 4 pack of 6x16' rolls/bamboo for $100. I also found out, if they do want to charge shipping, instead have em ship to your nearest store for free and pick em up Perfect. Then I'll just get some 30''x96''skirting thatch for the top, wrap it around and be done with it. If it becomes too noisy I might have too put some cotton sheets behind em.

SlateMan

Registered
White Noise

You could also try to employ some white noise to offset or drown out the sound. I lived in an apartment and we would shoot all night long. I turned on both bathroom fans, the fan over the stove, I left the AC Fan in the On position. I also ran a dehumidifier in the master bedroom to add an extra loud fan. I would also try to run some laundry and the dishwasher as well.

I had all three neighbors around me help me make sure this was okay. I fired everything up and broke a couple of racks while on the phone with them. They all had my cell phone number and were told to please call if the noise was ever bothersome. I never had a single complaint.

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Homasote, 4 x 8 sheets, $30

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...VhZ6fCh0LYwEJEAQYAiABEgJ0xvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

I just ck'd H.Depot. You can get a 4 pack of 6x16' rolls/bamboo for $100. I also found out, if they do want to charge shipping, instead have em ship to your nearest store for free and pick em up Perfect. Then I'll just get some 30''x96''skirting thatch for the top, wrap it around and be done with it. If it becomes too noisy I might have too put some cotton sheets behind em.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could do some 2x4 acoustical ceiling tiles, like you see in an office
with a suspended ceiling.. I think an 8 pack is like $38.. use some
Liquid Nails and glue 'em to the walls.. paint them afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 151