shot selection question for john

sausage

Banned
john:
now, i'm not one to challenge the greatest 14.1 player on the fricking planet BUT :sorry: ..... you broke about five of george's "WP" rules on that shot and almost lost the rack as a result when the safest thing to do was to execute two simple stop shots then a relatively simple bounce off the rail for BB position.
don't make me take this to the straight pool regulatory board overseen by George "whenever possible" Fels! :p

BTW: what brand glove do you wear? i'd like to try one and see if it improves my game.

Last edited:

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
john:
now, i'm not one to challenge the greatest 14.1 player on the fricking planet BUT :sorry: ..... you broke about five of george's "WP" rules on that shot and almost lost the rack as a result when the safest thing to do was to execute two simple stop shots then a relatively simple bounce off the rail for BB position.
don't make me take this to the straight pool regulatory board overseen by George "whenever possible" Fels! :p

BTW: what brand glove do you wear? i'd like to try one and see if it improves my game.

Trust me when I say this. "This thread needs to end"

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

john:

thing is what i did is easier because i have too make 1 decent position shot and would have very little chance to miss any balls because they were all stop shots if i just got position on 10.

the way you propose i have to make a long straight in with perfect angle on 10 and then bounce off rail just right for bb.

basically my way i have to do 1 thing right, the other way i have to do 2 and a half things right.

i think im wearing a sniper glove.

for the record the best way to learn is to ask questions and thats what your doing,so i respect that.

alot of execution is required to run 100 balls. i think the misconception is its all about seeing the right patterns.

thats 50 percent of it but believe me cb control and shot making will blend together with good patterns to make a deadly combination.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the record the best way to learn is to ask questions and thats what your doing,so i respect that.

alot of execution is required to run 100 balls. i think the misconception is its all about seeing the right patterns.

thats 50 percent of it but believe me cb control and shot making will blend together with good patterns to make a deadly combination.

You sure are deadly in straight pool John !

sausage

Banned
john: thanks for the reply and understanding. i'm going to set up this shot and see if i can get it to work off the end rail.

marop: my questions were not intended to be disrespectful to your friend john.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
marop: my questions were not intended to be disrespectful to your friend john.

I didn't think they were disrespectful, I just thought the question had been asked and answered.

Take care and go play some straight pool today.

Bill

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just looking at your image, doesn't the 2 look like a perfect key ball? In other words, if the cue ball was where the 2 ball is now at the end of the rack wouldn't that be a good break? And the 10 gets you on the 2 easy.
Seems logical to me but what do I know?

from what i've heard a lot of people try to avoid sid epocket break balls because you have to get near straight in on them to for them to work. i heard that on a dvd somewhere

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
thing is what i did is easier because i have too make 1 decent position shot and would have very little chance to miss any balls because they were all stop shots if i just got position on 10.

the way you propose i have to make a long straight in with perfect angle on 10 and then bounce off rail just right for bb.

basically my way i have to do 1 thing right, the other way i have to do 2 and a half things right.

i think im wearing a sniper glove.

John,
This is one of the best 14.1 related posts I have ever read on this forum.

:thumbup:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Side pocket key balls

from what i've heard a lot of people try to avoid sid epocket break balls because you have to get near straight in on them to for them to work. i heard that on a dvd somewhere

I think you mean side pocket key balls, right. the shot before the break shot.

I have heard the same and if the ball is not hanging in the pocket, you are generally right, except when you have a good key ball to the key ball like the 10 which allows you to get on the 2 pretty well.

A lot of execution is required to run 100 balls. I think the misconception is its all about seeing the right patterns.

Thats 50 percent of it but believe me cb control and shot making will blend together with good patterns to make a deadly combination.

John,
This is one of the best 14.1 related posts I have ever read on this forum.

:thumbup:

I agree with you David. It struck me when John said the above that a lot of times, when looking at runs of Sigel's or John's, I would think that doesn't look like the easiest way to get there, but then I would marvel at their perfect cue ball control. As John says, when you are on, you are in such a rhythm, you know what you can do and how to do it and if you were to slow down so much looking for the "perfect" pattern, you might get out of rhythm.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
ok, i set up this shot about 15 times today on my 8' brunswick Ventura II Pro. it's a heck of a lot more congested than a 9' table and i scratched several times in the side pocket. a few times however i did get perfect on the side ball but i still had difficulty getting perfect on the key. on a smaller table such as mine, i had little difficulty doing two stop shots and leaving the side cushion ball for the key. i'll keep working on it though and keep it in the bag of tricks as another positional possibility.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, i set up this shot about 15 times today on my 8' brunswick Ventura II Pro. it's a heck of a lot more congested than a 9' table and i scratched several times in the side pocket. a few times however i did get perfect on the side ball but i still had difficulty getting perfect on the key. on a smaller table such as mine, i had little difficulty doing two stop shots and leaving the side cushion ball for the key. i'll keep working on it though and keep it in the bag of tricks as another positional possibility.

doesnt matter what size table,what im saying is using the 2 in side is the best and you try to do what ever to use it.

its all about figuring the difficulty factor.using the 10 off rail as key ball to get good on bb is harder that pivoting from 7 to 10 on rail.

i know you shot it 15 times ,ive probably shot it 1500 times and trust me on any size table the way you propose is not easier on any table.

also the first shot off the 7 is not a stop shot like you keep referring too.its angled to go to end rail ,its not straight in.if anything you would go 2 rails then cut 2 in go to end rail then hopefully if you made the 2 with right thickness in side you would fall on keyball just right.

again thats doing about 3 things right as compared to just getting anywhere above the 10 then the rest are hangers.

take care bud and like i said the fact that you like 14.1 enough to even tell me whats better is cool with me.

sausage

Banned
thanks john; your thoughtful replies mean a lot to me and when playing and this situation arises, i will do as you suggest. and yes, that first ball is not straight in. it's hard to tell just how much angle is on it from the camera's eye. thanks again!

tim

sausage

Banned
john: i just want to clarify; i paid for your videos from Steve and he promised to give you the $$$ the next time he sees you. the only reason i got them from steve is because i didn't get a response from you about the vids. however, i do not know if you received my PM. so i just wanted to let you know that i did NOT try to undercut you and i really really appreciate your vids and 14.1 advice here more than words can express.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

john: i just want to clarify; i paid for your videos from Steve and he promised to give you the $$$ the next time he sees you. the only reason i got them from steve is because i didn't get a response from you about the vids. however, i do not know if you received my PM. so i just wanted to let you know that i did NOT try to undercut you and i really really appreciate your vids and 14.1 advice here more than words can express.

sounds like a plan my man,thanks and good luck.thanks for buying dvds i hope they help you.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Professor, may I ask a question too? In the position pictured and discussed it seems you have more angle to consider this option, but generally speaking: would you recommend going for far corners often or better try to play in foot end corners? The reason I ask is that I don't hesitate to play shape below the ball, and maybe I'm wrong with this and doing it too often.
Guys, take a look at a short clip how I screwed a good rack end. (I manufactured a key ball and ended up dead straight on key ball to key ball. I tried to cheat the pocket but failed). That rack reminded me on the matter discussed here.
John, if you were a bit straighter on the 7 would you have played for the 10 in far corner or still try to finish above it? Somehow I think you could choose the latter option, and if so there must be for a good reason I would like to learn.
And, did I play end pattern right (ball selection)?

P.S. How is it going with your 239-294 DVD?

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Professor, may I ask a question too? In the position pictured and discussed it seems you have more angle to consider this option, but generally speaking: would you recommend going for far corners often or better try to play in foot end corners? The reason I ask is that I don't hesitate to play shape below the ball, and maybe I'm wrong with this and doing it too often.
Guys, take a look at a short clip how I screwed a good rack end. (I manufactured a key ball and ended up dead straight on key ball to key ball. I tried to cheat the pocket but failed). That rack reminded me on the matter discussed here.
John, if you were a bit straighter on the 7 would you have played for the 10 in far corner or still try to finish above it? Somehow I think you could choose the latter option, and if so there must be for a good reason I would like to learn.
And, did I play end pattern right (ball selection)?

P.S. How is it going with your 239-294 DVD?

if i was straighter on 7 yes i would have played ball up rail. you played it right just didnt hit it like you want. take care

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
your knowledgeable help is much appreciated John. Thank you so much for being here with us.