Which Pocket & Why?

JC

Coos Cues
Sorry, but I still don't understand what a free throw in pool is.

A free throw in basketball is a shot with the least amount of variables involved. It's the same every time you attempt it.

Aiming a half ball hit is like this. Variables are at a minimum. Success at a maximum.

A good free throw shooter in basketball will hit 90% while a good shooter during live action will hit 50% or less. Half ball shots are like free throws in this sense whether you can see the pocket or not or even bother looking. Making what may appear as a tougher shot not so tough.

That was the analogy. I guess you're not a basketball fan?

JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A free throw in basketball is a shot with the least amount of variables involved. It's the same every time you attempt it.

Aiming a half ball hit is like this. Variables are at a minimum. Success at a maximum.

A good free throw shooter in basketball will hit 90% while a good shooter during live action will hit 50% or less. Half ball shots are like free throws in this sense whether you can see the pocket or not or even bother looking. Making what may appear as a tougher shot not so tough.

That was the analogy. I guess you're not a basketball fan?

JC

I know what a free throw in basketball is. I just didn't make the connection to pool. Okay, I see where you're coming from now. I think what you're saying is a stretch.

Yes, there are aiming methods where all you have to do is recognize the type of hit, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc. you don't have to be concerned with the line from the ob to the pocket from the shooting stance. Ernie Costa, a pro 14.1 player from NY in the 60's an 70's, may have been the first player to put it in writing.

So, I'm guessing you're saying a half ball hit is the easiest to recognize. What about position play? Isn't that a huge variable? Is it still a free throw with English or top spin, or back spin? When do you shoot any shot in pool without consideration of position?

Isn't that the big difference between pool and basketball?

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I know what a free throw in basketball is. I just didn't make the connection to pool. Okay, I see where you're coming from now. I think what you're saying is a stretch.

Yes, there are aiming methods where all you have to do is recognize the type of hit, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc. you don't have to be concerned with the line from the ob to the pocket from the shooting stance. Ernie Costa, a pro 14.1 player from NY in the 60's an 70's, may have been the first player to put it in writing.

So, I'm guessing you're saying a half ball hit is the easiest to recognize. What about position play? Isn't that a huge variable? Is it still a free throw with English or top spin, or back spin? When do you shoot any shot in pool without consideration of position?

Isn't that the big difference between pool and basketball?

I'm a 590 fargo, I shoot every shot without regard to position :D

Seriously though unless you're using english this shot aims the same throughout a fairly large range of high/low/speed. Backhand english in small increments keeps the aiming point consistent also for that matter. Most position can be achieved with these tools barring blocking balls. At least position I'm capable of achieving. I am not advanced enough to spin balls all over the place.

JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a 590 fargo, I shoot every shot without regard to position :D

Seriously though unless you're using english this shot aims the same throughout a fairly large range of high/low/speed. Backhand english in small increments keeps the aiming point consistent also for that matter. Most position can be achieved with these tools barring blocking balls. At least position I'm capable of achieving. I am not advanced enough to spin balls all over the place.

JC

I get it, however, I thinkest thou generalize too much. Position play throws a boatload of variables into the mix, like speed and distance -- to name two big ones. Look --- all of these shots can be accomplished on demand with practice and a good memory.

But if you're going to legitimately compare a pool shot to a basketball free throw, then you will have to take position considerations completely out of the mix.

JC

Coos Cues
I get it, however, I thinkest thou generalize too much. Position play throws a boatload of variables into the mix, like speed and distance -- to name two big ones. Look --- all of these shots can be accomplished on demand with practice and a good memory.

But if you're going to legitimately compare a pool shot to a basketball free throw, then you will have to take position considerations completely out of the mix.

The OP was the game ball. The only position required was to not scratch.

JC (beat down like an illegitimate red headed step child and grasping at straws)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

JC (beat down like an illegitimate red headed step child and grasping at straws)

Yep....OP wasn't concerned with anything besides pocketing the ball.

I like your free throw analogy. I understand it. Any simple shot that requires very little if any cue ball maneuvering , I'd consider it to be equivalent to a free throw in basketball. It doesn't mean it can't be missed, as free throws are even missed by the best players.

Reactions: JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's still a position shot, even though it's game ball. You may think you don't have to do that much because it's game ball, but think again. Controlling the path of the cue ball on either of the two shots requires some skill.

But it's not even the level of skill that makes it not a free throw. It's because there is no shot in pool where the shooter does not care what happens to the cue ball after impact with an object ball.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after 3 pages of good discussion, what is your followup? Did you play the shot both ways? Were you more successful one way? Any comment?

Into the top right corner for me. I struggle with back/reverse cuts. And yes, I tried this shot a bunch both ways too.

r/DCP