How many people in this forum have their own table?

Do you have your own table for playing 14.1?

• Total voters

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I am wondering cause to me, there is absolutely no way i am ever going to run balls with people all around me distracting me.

Just wondering who has their own table or access to a private table.

It would be interesting to know who's high runs were achieved in a pool hall on a public table, and who's high runs were done in the peace and quiet of their home or some friends house who happens to have a table.

As i played yesterday, i was in the back of the pool room for some privacy again, and right out of the gate, i got to 36 balls before a family got the table right next to me on the left hand side and they were all standing around having fun, and i missed as a result of not being able to focus.

2 attempts later, i got to 48, before some wide dude had rented the table directly on my right, and fired a ball into the rail when his fat ass swung around and was sticking in my face, just as i let go on the shot.

I got to 42 balls a few tries later and missed when some mentally ill/mentally impaired person (quite literally) rented the table behind me and came and decided to ask me questions about my chalk and where i could get chalk from, and after having told him that there was a box of chalk at the counter, he TOOK mine as i got down to shoot and walked off with it and i of course rifled the ball next ball into the rail and i had to go chase after him to get it back as it was my own piece of Blue Diamond.
So systematically, all the tables around me got rented out (typical) and i just said forget it it's not worth it, and i went up to the counter and switched to a front table, and at that point, i didn't care anymore and was going through the motions but not giving a crap.

Just curious that's all.

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Superstar, my best practice has always been on a tble by itself in a room. Whether it be a rec room or in my garage.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
There can be no other way

I could not even imagine Life with out a pool table in my house.
I will Bump my post (Photos of My Game Room)

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
yup! I always play in my basement, but the girlfreind can be a distraction when she comes downstairs. :rolleyes:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Tables

I have a table in the basement but I also play in two 14.1 leagues and sometimes on the weekend I go to one of the pool halls for an all day 14.1 session.

I think I actually play a little better in the leagues or at the pool halls. More focused with an opponent.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I have to have a table, nobody plays 14.1 in California. lol. As 14-1StraightMan said, I couldn't imagine not having a table in my house. Plus the video camera is always running, couldn't do that at the pool hall.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Could be worse...

I don't have room. :crying:

I have my own table (9ft Olhausen), but it's taken apart in a side room in my apartment. I got divorced and we sold the house, so there went my gameroom. I decided to keep the table and am currently looking for a place that has enough room.

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
I just put a 9' table in my house last October. Before that I had to practice at the pool hall. Yes there are distractions there, but it helped to get a MP3 player with noise canceling headphones. Also, find a player's room rather than a bar and that helps wonders.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I have my own table (9ft Olhausen), but it's taken apart in a side room in my apartment. I got divorced and we sold the house, so there went my gameroom. I decided to keep the table and am currently looking for a place that has enough room.

Well, same here, sort of. I had to sell my house because of a divorce, and in doing so I also lost my music studio too, (I'm a professional musician).:crying:

I just bought a house, (we close on 1-15), but there is only enough room for either my studio, or a table, but not both.

Oh well, I gotta do what I gotta do.

Maybe next house!:rolleyes:

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm hoping that my next house (next 5-10 years most likely) will have enough room for a 9-foot table. Right now, I just play at the local poolhall. One has all 8-footers and the other has 4 9-footers. My highest run is on a 9-foot, but my next two highest runs were on 8-footers.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I just put a 9' table in my house last October. Before that I had to practice at the pool hall. Yes there are distractions there, but it helped to get a MP3 player with noise canceling headphones. Also, find a player's room rather than a bar and that helps wonders.

I don't play pool in bars. Never liked pool in bars in the first place.

I recently started wearing earplugs and yes, it helps to tune out the noise, but noise is nothing when you have someone ready to slam their ass into your face as they themselves are getting down on a shot, or when someone comes up and asks you a question, or when a family are ALL standing around the table and bumping into you as you play.

Canceling out the noise does nothing for that.

Powerlifter

Rat in a cage
Silver Member
I don't play pool in bars. Never liked pool in bars in the first place.

I recently started wearing earplugs and yes, it helps to tune out the noise, but noise is nothing when you have someone ready to slam their ass into your face as they themselves are getting down on a shot, or when someone comes up and asks you a question, or when a family are ALL standing around the table and bumping into you as you play.

Canceling out the noise does nothing for that.

Same for me..I hate bars. I get a lot of that big guy/little guy stuff as well,when people are shitfaced. I'd much rather play on my own table in my garage...Invite a few friends over..enjoy the game without distractions.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering cause to me, there is absolutely no way i am ever going to run balls with people all around me distracting me

you seem to be doing all right to me, that 101 the other day wasn't to shabby, but I completely understand what you are saying.
I have my own table but when I do get out I try to get there just when they open, on a corner table. this is usually good for a couple hours. You might even ask the counter person to not rent the tables next to yours for a while.

once the room gets crowded, if I can stand the music, I juststick to 9ball. or more likely just go home.
steven

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
you seem to be doing all right to me, that 101 the other day wasn't to shabby, but I completely understand what you are saying.
I have my own table but when I do get out I try to get there just when they open, on a corner table. this is usually good for a couple hours. You might even ask the counter person to not rent the tables next to yours for a while.

once the room gets crowded, if I can stand the music, I juststick to 9ball. or more likely just go home.
steven

Actually, this is kind of funny.
The room wasn't really crowded.

They try to give people the table they ask for.

So basically, the room has like 20 tables. So when i walked in, you had like 3 pool tables going up front, both billiard tables going on one side in the back, and i was all alone in the back on the pool tables in the early afternoon.
The people that came in ASKED for those tables, and when i looked up after not being able to take it any more, the rest of the room was the way it had been before, and basically, the back had filled up around me, and the front was still kind of empty.

Even when i went up front to switch tables, the counter lady immediately knew what was up and we both laughed about it, cause i mean, what are you gonna do.

I don't ask for them to keep people away from me in the daytime, and have only ever asked them to do that at night when it was expected to get packed, but even that didn't eventually stop the place from filling up. I'd end up with people next to me, just not immediately.

The only times i wanted people to stay away from me was when i was playing for a decent chunk of change and if it was high enough, me and my opponent would rent the tables close to us that we didn't want people on so that NO ONE could play on them.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
SS:

You have a right, as a consumer/patron, to ask the counter person that you want to be left alone so you can practice, and to NOT rent the tables next to you. It is in their best interest to do so -- afterall, if you're practicing in your own little world and "lose track of time," that's more table time revenue for them! Yes, it is a public place, and yes, it's not "your" place -- everyone is entitled to be there. But you do have a right to your privacy and to be left alone, as long as you don't try to sequester yourself in the area that has the tables in most demand (e.g. back tables with tight pockets, or tables next to any arcade machines [some families like to stay together, have the kids play on close-by arcade/pinball machines so they can be watched, etc.].)

I've done this in the pool hall near me, and they honor it with no question. In fact, one day I'd walked up the counter, and was waiting in line to get something from the counter person, when I overheard the counter person politely decline a customer's request to get the table next to mine. When the customer pointed out noone was playing on the table next to mine and he wanted it, she told him "the customer of that particular table is practicing for an event, and wants to be left alone." The customer understood, and asked for another table about two tables over (no biggie for me). Unless the guy's looking for trouble or is a complete jack-off (those "screw him, I don't care about him, I want *that* table" types), he should honor the request.

Of course, this won't fly when the place is busy, and all the available tables are needed. Judgment call then prevails, as to whether you want to stay in the place or not.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

Actually, this is kind of funny.
The room wasn't really crowded.

They try to give people the table they ask for.

So basically, the room has like 20 tables. So when i walked in, you had like 3 pool tables going up front, both billiard tables going on one side in the back, and i was all alone in the back on the pool tables in the early afternoon.
The people that came in ASKED for those tables, and when i looked up after not being able to take it any more, the rest of the room was the way it had been before, and basically, the back had filled up around me, and the front was still kind of empty.

Even when i went up front to switch tables, the counter lady immediately knew what was up and we both laughed about it, cause i mean, what are you gonna do.

I don't ask for them to keep people away from me in the daytime, and have only ever asked them to do that at night when it was expected to get packed, but even that didn't eventually stop the place from filling up. I'd end up with people next to me, just not immediately.

The only times i wanted people to stay away from me was when i was playing for a decent chunk of change and if it was high enough, me and my opponent would rent the tables close to us that we didn't want people on so that NO ONE could play on them.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
So it's like 4-1 right now, people who have access to pool privacy, vs people that don't.
That's way more then i expected. WAY more. WOW.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The place I play during the afternoons are usually pretty dead. I typically have the place to myself. Though when someone comes in they almost invariably take the table directly beside me, I don't understand it. Not only that, they will stand on the side of the table that is closest to mine. Perhaps I'm magnitized. It's worse where I play snooker, people will lean up against and even sit on my table between shots while I'm practicing.

I find it easier to play in amongst people during a match as i have that to focus on. During practice I'm easily distracted.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I constantly tell myself I should be mentally stronger, its good training for pressure, a good player should just focus on the balls, etc...but I just cannot play quality straight pool at my local pool halls without flailing on an easy shot because of my inability to tune out conversations, vacuum cleaners, tv shows, people shooting right next to me, etc...

I only attempt to play 14.1 if the pool hall is empty, or I'm having one of my best days where ball pocketing seems easy and I can just think position instead of worrying about jarring balls if I do anything less than perfect.

Great players can overcome this, but I think people like me who can play excellent pool, but also still have mediocre days, are real susceptible to getting into a bad mental mindset and playing crappy pool.

100 ball runners are always on the verge of doing something special. Guys with high runs in the 50-75 range are always on the verge of playing like B players if they have a bad day.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
We have two tables at work and I get my practice done in the evenings after work. Not bad getting off work walking 100 feet and having essentially a private table. :) Too bad it's an 8 footer with slow felt.