Patterns

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never been shown any type of 14.1 patterns,some are obvious,but from the opening break where do you start. I do know that you identify your break balls. Are there set patterns that people use or do you just wing it. Any help in this matter would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Ken

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
You will learn

I have never been shown any type of 14.1 patterns,some are obvious,but from the opening break where do you start. I do know that you identify your break balls. Are there set patterns that people use or do you just wing it. Any help in this matter would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken, it is never good to wing it. It leads to scratches, getting stuck on balls & long hard shots. Always try to plan your next shot or a few next shots. Even when you plan out a patten and you get out of line. Plan another patten to reach the same goal.
As your game gets better and you start getting the rack open. You can bump balls into positions for your favorite break shot & key ball set ups.
Many of the better players on this 14.1 forum have listed very good tapes, books & DVD matches to watch that will help out your game. Just scan over some of their comments.
I hope this info helps. Good luck and keep us informed how your progress
comes along.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The basic pattern goes like this:

1. Pick out at least one, better 2 or 3 balls that would make good break balls.
2. For the best break ball, find a simple shot (like a stop shot in the side) that will let you get good position on that break ball. That's the key ball.
3. Now find a key ball for the key ball... some shot that makes it very easy to get good on a key ball.

Other than that, just focus on getting rid of problem balls as early as you can... like balls that have gone uptable, balls that block other balls from going in, balls that only go in one pocket, etc.

A classic pattern, if it's available is: Rail cut into one corner, bouncing the CB off the side rail to get straight in on a side pocket shot... then do a stop shot (or use a little natural follow or short draw as necessary) to get good on a classic break ball like the one shown in this diagram. I got lazy and left the full rack in the diagram, but these shots are the final 2 balls from the rack before.

CueTable Help

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Lol

"The basic pattern goes like this:

1. Pick out at least one, better 2 or 3 balls that would make good break balls.
2. For the best break ball, find a simple shot (like a stop shot in the side) that will let you get good position on that break ball. That's the key ball.
3. Now find a key ball for the key ball... some shot that makes it very easy to get good on a key ball.

Other than that, just focus on getting rid of problem balls as early as you can... like balls that have gone uptable, balls that block other balls from going in, balls that only go in one pocket, etc."

CreeDo

Hey CreeDo, did you say "Up Table"......... LOL That's good, an Old School term. :>)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Thanks,
Ken

Ken: After the opening break, you hope to have a shot to help you get control of the table. Sometimes the rack will be completely open with no two balls touching and clear lanes to the pocket for all balls. When that happens try to identify your last 3 balls.The ideal last three would be stop, stop, stop. You don't want to have to be moving the cue ball around too much at the end.

Now, get to work clearing the rest. Harriman says he likes to clear the balls out from underneath where his break ball will be as soon as he can. Not always possible but can be helpful sometimes. George Fels thinks clearing off the rails is a good idea early. George labels the balls by whether or not they have a pocket, and whether by clearing another ball, they will then have a pocket. Clear lanes to the pocket and clear off the rails. If you have a straggler up table, think of a way to get up and back to the action wherever it fits in.

If there are problem clusters or solo balls in bad spots start thinking of how you are going to solve the problem. Rather than banging in a straight in shot and stopping dead, maybe you need to follow an inch or two to get an angle to make another shot and solve the problems. The balls on the table are your friends. If you start clearing them off too soon, you may not be able to solve your problem balls.

Later, Dennis

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Like always...(lol) i recommend Georg Fels ´s "Mastering Pool" and of course Phil Capelle´s "Play your best Straight-Pool" and at least the small *STraight-Pool-Bible* by *Babe* Cranfield.
Do yourself a favor and get those books- they re all you need for theoretical knowledge about straight-pool/14.1

lg from overseas and have fun :)

Ingo

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just checked Amazon for the Phil Capelle´s "Play your best Straight-Pool" book they are selling it for 2 new from $117.24 7 used from $117.23 WOW! Anybody have an extra copy for sale?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I have an extra copy but I promissed it to ratta !

I spoke with phil on facebook. Asking him of it was gonna go back to press or make an ebook of it, and he said he will check into it.

Good luck in search !
Steve

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No luck,I found a few European sites but I would not feel safe sending them credit card info...

sausage

Banned
just get rempe's "how to run 100 balls" and how to "run a rack". that's the best place to start.

as far as patterns are concerned; you really can't work on a pattern until you have all your balls free and ready to shoot. as stated above, concentrate first on breaking remaining clusters and pocketing problem balls but always have in mind a ball for the break. if one does not exist, you will have to bump one into position as you go. after you removed the problems, if you then know your last three shots in the sequence, #1. key to key-ball, #2. key-ball #3. break-ball, then you just shoot the remaining balls to get on that key to the key-ball. sounds easy but a lot can go wrong along the way... get the rempe vids...

Ken, it is never good to wing it. It leads to scratches, getting stuck on balls & long hard shots.
straightman: i'll say. let the fricking cue go JUST ONCE and even with all of the possibilities of another shot, you will get screwed. it's freaky!

Last edited:

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No luck,I found a few European sites but I would not feel safe sending them credit card info...

I found the book on Cuesight.com for $25. s/h from NC to IA was like $6 via fedex. Nothing on the site said it was back ordered or out of stock. You might try there if you want it. I cannot confirm or deny if they have it or not, tried to contact via email and did not get a response. Will try calling tomorrow if they don't contact me before that.

update: back ordered on Cuesight.com as well. The woman I spoke to said 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
i haven't read that book but nothing beats watching a narrated 14.1 video. another great video is Crane vs Balsis. it's all over the net. irving crane is incredible... when you begin to understand the game -in most cases- you will be able to watch pros play 14.1 and know what they will shoot next. before i knew straight-pool, i was stimied by their shot selection. it seemed random to me. not any more.....

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Thanks,ordered the book,3 to 3 weeks wait,not sure they will find it though...
I checked Seyberts they have special "Capelle" section, and I was surprised to find there almost all his titles BUT PlayYourBestStraightPool! I couldn't imagine it can ever become a rarity.
You might try this internet store in Russia. PM me for a contact email if interested because I suppose cyrillic is hard to understand for a foreigner (even with the help of Google language tools I think). It costs around $40 there and says "in stock". I don't know how many they have.