Handicapped 9-Ball Tournament - Thoughts

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't play in this tournament so I have no bad thoughts about the outcome...just curious. It was a partner tournament handicapped by number of balls made playing 9-ball. The lowest two handicapped partners won the event. They went through the tournament undefeated. Soooo...1) Did they play way over their heads for one entire tournament? 2) The handicaps were just perfectly fair? 3) Everyone else underestimated them? 4) Their handicaps had to be too low?

Normally the best players still win even with handicaps in play. But not this time. I think the chance of this happening is extremely rare. Thoughts...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't play in this tournament so I have no bad thoughts about the outcome...just curious. It was a partner tournament handicapped by number of balls made playing 9-ball. The lowest two handicapped partners won the event. They went through the tournament undefeated. Soooo...1) Did they play way over their heads for one entire tournament? 2) The handicaps were just perfectly fair? 3) Everyone else underestimated them? 4) Their handicaps had to be too low?

Normally the best players still win even with handicaps in play. But not this time. I think the chance of this happening is extremely rare. Thoughts...

I HATE handicapped tournaments. It reminds me of bracket racing. Lol first car across the line should win, right? Nope.

Pool is same way now. Everyone gets a trophy.

Nothing more screwed up than some sandbaging a55 hat winning a tournament.

They know who they are and they know what they are.......scared little wusses that cry because they just can't get there unless someone gives it to them.

I HATE leagues in general for that very reason.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
The choices here are a handicapped tournament that draws 20+ paying players or an open tournament that draws 6. I'm referring to local amateur tourneys of course. With those choices I'd rather play sets for $.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see any difference between a handicap tournament and a person getting weight when matching up with some one.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't see any difference between a handicap tournament and a person getting weight when matching up with some one.

We never get an answer to that, do we?

And the very best often won't match up without a spot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From many handicapped events I see won, it was due to too low of a rating for the player.

For example, just had someone in a local tournament with 64 players as a C+, his Fargo rating is 572, which is a B+. He is actually ranked almost 20 points higher than me, and I'm rated a B in that tour.

There is a Bud sponsored event in Snookers in RI, the players that won last year were both put in a level under their actual skill. Funny thing, is that they are again i the event at the same level as last year. So go in ranked too low, win, then get put in at the same rating a year later.

The funny thing is that it is usually not hard to get a fair handicap in an event since almost everyone there knows the others, and with Fargo rating nationwide play, it is not easy to just lie about your skill. There are times that I feel I am put in as too low of a handicap, but then I see others the same skill at the same rating as me so I have to play at that same rating. I am a B+, but if some other player is in as B and I know they are as good as me, I would ask to be in as a B also.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The choices here are a handicapped tournament that draws 20+ paying players or an open tournament that draws 6. I'm referring to local amateur tourneys of course. With those choices I'd rather play sets for $.

Exactly. Most of the tournaments local to me are 90% nut hunters. I refuse to play like that.

The guy that owns the room says it's a good event. Lol....he does not have a clue about pool or bow tournaments should be run. All the non-practicing players LOVE handicapped tournaments.

With handicapped tourneys they don't need to practice. As a matter of fact, if they play worse this week they get moved down......then they win the next tournament.

I had to give a guy 9 / 3 and I played this guy a few weeks earlier in private and barely beat him giving him the call 7 in ten ball.

This is how our match went:

Game 1, He won flip, broke, ran all but dogged the 9.....i pocket 9 and win. Score 1/0

Game 2, I string 4 racks. Score 5/0

Game 6, I break dry he runs out. 5/1

Game 7, he breaks, runs couple balls and shoots a nut up safe, I kick and hit it but he out. Score 5/2

Game 8, he breaks and runs out.

Match over score 5/3 in race where I go to 9 and he goes to 3.

Yeah, handicapped tournaments are awesome

That's it, I lose.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they suck, I have had an absence from the game for over 30 years and about 3.5 years ago I go into a local place, now mind you here in Podunk they only have bar tables so when I went in to play in the Sunday tournament they rank me at a nine, I got blown out straight away, so I go back 3.5 years later and the Sunday event is run by somebody different but I get in as a nine. After playing several week sand playing close attention to what is going on the TD has all of the players that are his buds playing with a low handicap and the stronger are at the higher as should be, so I start to ask about adjusting mine to where it should be and nothing happens the TD says not enough info to move me down, so a few more months go by and ask again and still nothing, so after several more weeks I ask again and finally get 1 point down and still losing.
Now I don't mind paying the money if once in a great while I can get close to the money but it isn't happening, I mentioned to a guy that plays heads up that I feel like I should be giving Shane some weight at this point it would make as much sense, so I thinks to me I thinks they suck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting.

You rock!

Exactly. Most of the tournaments local to me are 90% nut hunters. I refuse to play like that.

The guy that owns the room says it's a good event. Lol....he does not have a clue about pool or bow tournaments should be run. All the non-practicing players LOVE handicapped tournaments.

With handicapped tourneys they don't need to practice. As a matter of fact, if they play worse this week they get moved down......then they win the next tournament.

I had to give a guy 9 / 3 and I played this guy a few weeks earlier in private and barely beat him giving him the call 7 in ten ball.

This is how our match went:

Game 1, He won flip, broke, ran all but dogged the 9.....i pocket 9 and win. Score 1/0

Game 2, I string 4 racks. Score 5/0

Game 6, I break dry he runs out. 5/1

Game 7, he breaks, runs couple balls and shoots a nut up safe, I kick and hit it but he out. Score 5/2

Game 8, he breaks and runs out.

Match over score 5/3 in race where I go to 9 and he goes to 3.

Yeah, handicapped tournaments are awesome

That's it, I lose.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here too many guys get away with the “Im a four” scam..They drink 18 beers at league once a week purposely dumping to be low rated for all the local tournaments.We have some big money max 11 tournies that you can’t pick which guy is the 7 and which guy is the 4.It happens so often it’s not even worth going.I cant seem to find a 4 that can run a rack out with me with perfect shape and a great angle left for them,but the other guy’s 4 can run sets out.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

How many times has this happened, or is it just this one time?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dismantling under-handicapped or arrogant players is one of the few joys this game still offers me.

I agree. This the one reason I even enter that particular tournament. I love it when do (ever now and then) out run the sandbaging a55 hats and the room owner that usually has them in auction. Not often, but when I do it is sweet.

Rake

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Thoughts...
If a handicapped tournament series does not have an open, clear, fair, and automatic method of adjusting the ratings/handicaps of the players, you should be prepared for unfair treatment from the TD unless he is your friend.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it has been beat to death, but Fargorate is a great solution imo. The problem where I live is very few, if any, tournament brackets are posted online and nobody really reports to Fargorate, even leagues. I don’t play league so that wouldn’t help me anyway though. Just about the only way to get an established rating around here is to travel to bigger tournaments out of the state.

I’ve been trying to talk the owner of my local room into reporting tournament and league results to Fargorate...he just says he’ll look into it. :shrug:

A local room has two tournaments a week and both are crazy with BCA 7s that can't run 3 balls and 4s and 5s that are subject to put a two pack together. Its crazy.

I so the owner about submitting to Fargo and he said it is to much trouble and then said Fargo is rigged.

Fargo may not be perfect but it's a whole hellofalot closer than his handicapped circus.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny thing is that it is usually not hard to get a fair handicap in an event since almost everyone there knows the others, and with Fargo rating nationwide play, it is not easy to just lie about your skill. There are times that I feel I am put in as too low of a handicap, but then I see others the same skill at the same rating as me so I have to play at that same rating. I am a B+, but if some other player is in as B and I know they are as good as me, I would ask to be in as a B also.

First of all I'm not totally against Fargo ratings but they are useless to the average player
If your not a touring pro or a league player they mean nothing and cannot be used to accuratly handicap a tournament

For example I don't know you and you don't know me, let's say you me and my son
are all entered in the same handicapped tournament You said your fargorate is
around 550. Me and my son neither have a fargorate so our rating is 0. Now tell
you would handicap a match between you and either one of us using fargorate
According to fargorate you are 550 points above us which means you are a dead
lock to beat both of us. So where do we get placed in the field of say 64 players?