Some Observations After My Hiatus

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
So I've been out of the pool scene for the most part of six years or so. To be honest, I simply got tired of dealing with pool players. I have been getting the itch to play a little recently and had surgery last month, so I decided to start playing again to get out a little and get some steps in. I've found in the past few weeks that things are very different in my local pool scene of Columbus, OH than it used to be.

The first thing that I noticed is that no one plays on 9 footers anymore! Everything is barbox. The tournaments, the leagues, the gambling...all on bar boxes. The second thing that I noticed is that there aren't that many new faces. I'm not surprised by this as the number of pool halls has decreased, leaving only one or two "decent" ones in the area. This obviously means that interest has been down. That last thing that I've realized is that I truly love this game and have missed it. It felt great to get my cues out (with a half inch of dust on my case) and start to hit some again. The third night or so I went out I played some of the best pool of my life, then the next night I looked like Stevie Wonder hitting balls. I doubt I'll be around as much as I was before, but I'll definitely be popping in from time to time. I hope everyone has been well.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I've been out of the pool scene for the most part of six years or so. To be honest, I simply got tired of dealing with pool players. I have been getting the itch to play a little recently and had surgery last month, so I decided to start playing again to get out a little and get some steps in. I've found in the past few weeks that things are very different in my local pool scene of Columbus, OH than it used to be.

The first thing that I noticed is that no one plays on 9 footers anymore! Everything is barbox. The tournaments, the leagues, the gambling...all on bar boxes. The second thing that I noticed is that there aren't that many new faces. I'm not surprised by this as the number of pool halls has decreased, leaving only one or two "decent" ones in the area. This obviously means that interest has been down. That last thing that I've realized is that I truly love this game and have missed it. It felt great to get my cues out (with a half inch of dust on my case) and start to hit some again. The third night or so I went out I played some of the best pool of my life, then the next night I looked like Stevie Wonder hitting balls. I doubt I'll be around as much as I was before, but I'll definitely be popping in from time to time. I hope everyone has been well.

Miss you buddy.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Welcome back...glad to see you back and that you're doing well.

What you describe may only be a reflection of your locality. Personally, my interest in pool has been decreasing for the past few years, but the elimination of the 9 footer would probably mark the end for me. Shooting well usually helps increase the interest. :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will take the 8.

Offer expires in 1 week.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome back.

Sorry to break it to you, but TAR is pretty much in the past, man.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first thing that I noticed is that no one plays on 9 footers anymore! Everything is barbox. The tournaments, the leagues, the gambling...all on bar boxes...

The bar box push must be geographical, I haven't experienced that in my area.
Very few bar box tables other than the one or two in the bars.
There is only one local pool hall with a couple of small leagues on box boxes.

All the chains store names are the same, full of 8' tables with friendly pockets with a couple of 9' competitive tables sprinkled in.
The independents still run with their 9' tables for the shooters vs the bangers.

Reverend Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome back

Good to hear you're playing again. As always pool is meant to be enjoyed no matter how well you're hitting them......unlike a certain Quaker Steak Wing Sauce of which you just pray for survival:grin::grin:

DWreckTheBoss

Registered

I took a 5 year hiatus recently myself and ended up shooting way better than I had before. I wouldn't completely let that "Stevie Wonder" night make you think that perhaps you hadn't lost or forgotten some of the weaker facets of your stroke or stance that were perhaps holding you back. Take advantage of the fact you no longer have bad form and technique drilled into your muscle memory. Taking a break was the best thing that ever happened to my game.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I see just the opposite.
Every hall in America is playing one hole unless they are APA.