CF blank foam

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foam

Any pointers on putting foam in a cf blank

Block the small end of the carbon fiber blank, attach a longer tubing to the foam sprayer can and press and release valve in spurts; watch as the foam expands and works its way up,
clean excess, allow to dry. :)

Mario

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking this thread because I will have to fill 2 chinese C.F. shafts to add some weight, shaft are around 80 grams and it's too light...

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search on liquid foams. What I have found is they run in different densities. Lighter to heavier

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search on liquid foams. What I have found is they run in different densities. Lighter to heavier

Yes, Thank You Very Much Billy, I found somethings really interesting on US Composites site, I will make some experiments with these products for sure!:)

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking this thread because I will have to fill 2 chinese C.F. shafts to add some weight, shaft are around 80 grams and it's too light...
If your only concern is the weight and the blank itself weighs 80 gramms then you're good just to add let's say phenolic insert, if you will need to add also a female brass insert count it too. The question what is your desired weight...
If your goal is something like 100-110 gramms then it's a simple task...
The first blank I've received from one supplier weighed only 50 gramms and that was too light...in addition my major concern how to fill in the blank was... I don't want my shaft having that hollow feeling when hit the cb...because then I'll better stick with my maple shafts.
The truth is one has to use his mind, logic and some knowledge to achieve the result he's looking for and after that of course experiment, experiment and experiment. That is where the most interesting part begins. Pretty much nothing new;).

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your only concern is the weight and the blank itself weighs 80 gramms then you're good just to add let's say phenolic insert, if you will need to add also a female brass insert count it too. The question what is your desired weight...
If your goal is something like 100-110 gramms then it's a simple task...
The first blank I've received from one supplier weighed only 50 gramms and that was too light...in addition my major concern how to fill in the blank was... I don't want my shaft having that hollow feeling when hit the cb...because then I'll better stick with my maple shafts.
The truth is one has to use his mind, logic and some knowledge to achieve the result he's looking for and after that of course experiment, experiment and experiment. That is where the most interesting part begins. Pretty much nothing new;).

With the different density foam all will be good, it will put the weight uniformly on all shaft lenght. By the way did you find good blank quality?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the different density foam all will be good, it will put the weight uniformly on all shaft lenght. By the way did you find good blank quality?
I've already made a hint in the other thread about one of the possibilities to fill it using those...;)
I have a few blanks on order and waiting till they are available. The delay is due to the current situation. I've got some good expectations on their quality but as I said the most interesting part is practical experiments when completing the project, quality of other materials used and the work itself.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've already made a hint in the other thread about one of the possibilities to fill it using those...;)
I have a few blanks on order and waiting till they are available. The delay is due to the current situation. I've got some good expectations on their quality but as I said the most interesting part is practical experiments when completing the project, quality of other materials used and the work itself.

I ordered 2 sample blanks from what I think is a good Cie, one 12.4mm X .95mm wall and one 12.8mm X 1.2mm wall, 30 inch long and 15 inch pro taper. If I order 30 custom dimensions I can choose any CF fabric under layers, finition layer, it is interesting, I'm looking in this way.

tomatoetom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did any one figure out what kind of foam.I tried great stuff for windows and doors but would not cure inside.I ran a small rod through it and it came sticky.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably that the others foam in liquid have a catalized reaction and don't need air to dry, but I'm not sure of that.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Test your foam

There are some spray foams on the market that need a lot of air to dry correct. If you fill a cf shaft it will take a long time for the foam to dry in the middle
of the shaft.