carbon fiber shafts for Kilby Cues

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am developing, in association with another cue maker, carbon fiber shafts specifically designed to my specifications for my cues. I plan to have two models whose dimensions are rather fixed since a different mold must be built for each configuration. I plan to offer a conical taper carom shaft, 28" long, 11.8mm tip, weighing 4.3 oz, and a 12.4 parabolic taper, 28 or 29" long, weighing 4.0 oz. These shafts will compare very favorably with the European shafts that retail for $495 and up, when you can get them. I plan that my lead time from order, if I do not have inventory on hand, will be two weeks. I plan that the price will be $395 with the tip of your choice. I would like feedback from those of you who have my cues as to interest in this shaft. (I plan to have it as an option for new builds as well.) ��

I am testing a prototype of the parabolic taper shaft. It is rather more a pro-taper variation, but has an excellent gradual taper to the rear third section, growing more quickly to the joint. I have not yet tried the conical carom shaft, expect to do that in a couple weeks. Broadly speaking (can't be totally exact working with a prototype), the "hit" of the shaft is very solid, feels "natural" compared to my standard maple shafts. The world of carbon fiber shafts has completely changed in the 20 years since I began building them from golf shafts. These are designed for billiard shafts and perform exceptionally well. I measured the static flex in the four quadrants of the shaft using my somewhat famous jig and the result amazed me -- there was no difference in any quadrant -- none! I have never had a shaft, even my segmented shafts, exhibit no variation whatsoever! I plan to play some matches with the shaft and will have a better feel for its performance, but initially I am extremely impressed.

Last edited:

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be very interested in a Kilby carbon fiber conical carom shaft, Ron. Please keep us posted.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will do, Stan. Candidly, I am very excited to get one of the conical shafts in hand -- the pro-taper shaft is as stiff as my segmented parabolic, perhaps even a bit more.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make other shafts for European cuemakers, but I don't have specifics for cue commonality. Mine will be built specifically for my joint, which is larger than any other custom maker that I know of. I will post more as I have broader dealings with them -- focusing on my specs at the moment.