Steve at the Hawk's Nest

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
One of my fondest memories in life was the exhibition tournaments held for several years in the 1970's at the Hawk's Nest in Pittsburgh, PA; all of them featuring Steve Mizerak.

The Hawk's Nest was an upstairs poolroom in the downtown area. Dark; the only illumination was the table lamps. The tables were old, but played very well. There was a raised seating area (yes, behind a rail) to view the action - it was a railbird's paradise.

They had an exhibition tournament each year with 8 players; competing round robin at straight pool and eight ball; dressed in tuxedo's. Players included Jim Marino, Jim Rempe, Alan Hopkins, Pete Margo, Irving Crane, Lou Butera, etc. However, the Miz totally dominated them. He was in his prime, and he easily won each of the tournaments that I attended. He made it look so easy it was ridiculous. He was like a men among boys.

I'll never forget at the end of a long day he was matched up against Allen Hopkins, who had just won a VERY long, slow match. Both Allen and the Miz had their coats off, shirttails out, hair mussed, sweating (no A/C). Allen started out with a good run of 30 or 40 balls (to 100). Miz steps up, and says something to the effect of, "Man it's late, I'm going to end this thing right now" (just joking - I think). Proceeds to run a 100 - a "called shot."

Last edited: