Missing "The Miz"

Joker1945

Before I begin, I would like to extend my sincere condolences to Karen and the entire Mizerak family. As Executive Director of the Men's Pro Billiards Association in the late '80's, I remember my friend Steve not only as a great player, but as a seated board member who always worked hard for the advancement of pool. Steve attended the many events that I promoted and/or directed in the '80's and early '90's through my company Joker Promotions. Steve was more than just a great player, he was a consummate professional who always had time for an interview with the press or autographs for his many fans. Always conducting himself with the dignity and grace that befitted his early induction into the Hall of Fame.

I will always remember Steve's "silky-smooth" stroke and his four time U.S. Open Championships. Personally I will miss Steve's friendship and our many infamous late night hotel gin games. His many feats on the pool table are of legendary proportions, however, having seen Steve play in many of the 150 events that I directed. I would like to relate a story that only those in attendance would remember. In the mid 1980's, Jimmy Marino of South Hills Billiards in Pittsburgh, PA called me and asked me to the be the emcee for a challenge match that included himself, Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe and Steve. The tuxedo clad matches were held over a long weekend and the play in the amphitheater pit was exceptional. It seemed like before my introductions were over, I was racking the balls for one of Steve's perfect 125's and out! If memory serves me, Steve did that in 3 out of his 4 matches of 14.1 pool.

I have kept in touch with Steve's wife Karen several times over the past few months and have been aware of his declining health. However, it is still a shock to lose a close lifelong friend such as Steve. I will miss "The Miz".

Sincerely, Joe Kerr - Akron, Ohio