Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page New Practice Game for Safeties
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
New Practice Game for Safeties
Old
  (#1)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
New Practice Game for Safeties - 08-23-2017, 12:29 PM

I made up a new (I think) game that emphasizes safety play and kicking as well as shotmaking. Here goes:

You rack 9 balls (short rack) or 15 balls (full rack) and break normally. For the short rack game the 5 is the money ball and for the full rack game the 9 is the money ball. You play in rotation and the person who legally pockets the money ball wins.

The extra balls are just blocking balls to enable safety play. More blocking balls = easier to get ball in hand and harder to run out.

You can only legally pocket a ball if you start your inning with ball in hand. Ball in hand rules are consistent with rotation games. Table scratches, scratches and illegal hits are ball in hand fouls.

So if you get ball in hand and run to the 5 you win.

The general strategy would be to maximize every ball in hand you get and try to avoid giving your opponent ball in hand. So you would be playing safe, kicking or jumping like heck, and putting your opponent in places where they can't play a good safety. Also moving balls to set up future safeties while not allowing your opponent to capitalize on it.

The difficulty of the game can be modified by adding or removing blocking balls and making the money balls higher. Handicapping can be done by the players having different money balls.

One player might be the 5 and the other might be the 6. Or the 3 and 7 racking 10.

An absolute beginner in safety play might be a 1, meaning if they can get ball in hand and make the 1 ball they can beat a good player who might be going to 5.

An 8 ball variation might be racking all balls with the stripes all being blocker balls and the solids not taken in rotation.

Thoughts?


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute
 
hang-the-9's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,811
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA
   
08-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Years ago a friend and I played some games where you had to get the person on 3 fouls before you can start pocketing balls.


"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
08-23-2017, 12:53 PM

This sounds awesome! I think I'll try s fee racks and see how it goes. Thanks. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
woodhams
AzB Bronze Member
woodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond reputewoodhams has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2017
   
08-23-2017, 01:26 PM

when I was a kid we would .05 on the 3 ball ...........10 on the 5ball and .25 on the 9ball but it was .60 cents per hour to rent the table
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Yotehntr
AzB Silver Member
Yotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond reputeYotehntr has a reputation beyond repute
 
Yotehntr's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2016
   
08-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Pretty original idea, sounds like it could be a good game. I'll have to give it a try.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
sbpoolleague
Banned
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   
08-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
I made up a new (I think) game that emphasizes safety play and kicking as well as shotmaking. Here goes:

You rack 9 balls (short rack) or 15 balls (full rack) and break normally. For the short rack game the 5 is the money ball and for the full rack game the 9 is the money ball. You play in rotation and the person who legally pockets the money ball wins.

The extra balls are just blocking balls to enable safety play. More blocking balls = easier to get ball in hand and harder to run out.

You can only legally pocket a ball if you start your inning with ball in hand. Ball in hand rules are consistent with rotation games. Table scratches, scratches and illegal hits are ball in hand fouls.

So if you get ball in hand and run to the 5 you win.

The general strategy would be to maximize every ball in hand you get and try to avoid giving your opponent ball in hand. So you would be playing safe, kicking or jumping like heck, and putting your opponent in places where they can't play a good safety. Also moving balls to set up future safeties while not allowing your opponent to capitalize on it.

The difficulty of the game can be modified by adding or removing blocking balls and making the money balls higher. Handicapping can be done by the players having different money balls.

One player might be the 5 and the other might be the 6. Or the 3 and 7 racking 10.

An absolute beginner in safety play might be a 1, meaning if they can get ball in hand and make the 1 ball they can beat a good player who might be going to 5.

An 8 ball variation might be racking all balls with the stripes all being blocker balls and the solids not taken in rotation.

Thoughts?

Great game idea. I might add a spin...the ability to spot a pocketed blocking ball, perhaps with a variety of spot locations. If you legally pocket a ball and a blocking ball is also pocketed, then you get to spot the ball. Otherwise, your opponent gets to spot it.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
08-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post
Great game idea. I might add a spin...the ability to spot a pocketed blocking ball, perhaps with a variety of spot locations. If you legally pocket a ball and a blocking ball is also pocketed, then you get to spot the ball. Otherwise, your opponent gets to spot it.
That's a good idea. In order for the game to work blocking balls need to be spotted and object balls out of turn need to be spotted. This solution could handle both situations without turning the spot into a conga line.


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
08-23-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Years ago a friend and I played some games where you had to get the person on 3 fouls before you can start pocketing balls.
I vaguely remember something like that but I couldn't remember how it went. I don't know if the game I described is similar to that or not.


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
08-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhams View Post
when I was a kid we would .05 on the 3 ball ...........10 on the 5ball and .25 on the 9ball but it was .60 cents per hour to rent the table
We used to play something similar back in the day. 15 ball rotation ring game. Pay on every ball divisible by 3. So 3, 6, 9, 12, 15...

If a guy can run a rack of rotation he can make out pretty good even playing for a quarter.


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute
 
Prairie dog's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Salem, Oregon
   
08-23-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
I made up a new (I think) game that emphasizes safety play and kicking as well as shotmaking. Here goes:

You rack 9 balls (short rack) or 15 balls (full rack) and break normally. For the short rack game the 5 is the money ball and for the full rack game the 9 is the money ball. You play in rotation and the person who legally pockets the money ball wins.

The extra balls are just blocking balls to enable safety play. More blocking balls = easier to get ball in hand and harder to run out.

You can only legally pocket a ball if you start your inning with ball in hand. Ball in hand rules are consistent with rotation games. Table scratches, scratches and illegal hits are ball in hand fouls.

So if you get ball in hand and run to the 5 you win.

The general strategy would be to maximize every ball in hand you get and try to avoid giving your opponent ball in hand. So you would be playing safe, kicking or jumping like heck, and putting your opponent in places where they can't play a good safety. Also moving balls to set up future safeties while not allowing your opponent to capitalize on it.

The difficulty of the game can be modified by adding or removing blocking balls and making the money balls higher. Handicapping can be done by the players having different money balls.

One player might be the 5 and the other might be the 6. Or the 3 and 7 racking 10.

An absolute beginner in safety play might be a 1, meaning if they can get ball in hand and make the 1 ball they can beat a good player who might be going to 5.

An 8 ball variation might be racking all balls with the stripes all being blocker balls and the solids not taken in rotation.

Thoughts?

How about this one: Playing 9 ball, one guy breaks and has to try to pocket every ball typical of 9 ball. The other guy plays safeties and only when the rotation player shoots at the nine ball, he can shoot at it also. NO early 9 balls. The safety guy has to have 3 fouls in the entire game (not just in a row to win). The rotation guy breaks and tries to run out. Super fun game, then rotate players.


Member of NRA
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CA
   
08-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
This sounds awesome! I think I'll try s fee racks and see how it goes. Thanks. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
How about this one: Playing 9 ball, one guy breaks and has to try to pocket every ball typical of 9 ball. The other guy plays safeties and only when the rotation player shoots at the nine ball, he can shoot at it also. NO early 9 balls. The safety guy has to have 3 fouls in the entire game (not just in a row to win). The rotation guy breaks and tries to run out. Super fun game, then rotate players.
That sounds pretty cool too!


Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain
__________________
Email:
Playing Cues: Ernie Martinez, Schon
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.