Blue Book adjustment

Merleti

Registered
It has been clear to me the Blue Book is off. That being said for those that love collecting how much is it off. Cue maker , model. ect. The best you can adjust it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been clear to me the Blue Book is off. That being said for those that love collecting how much is it off. Cue maker , model. ect. The best you can adjust it.

No way to tell, depends on the maker and cue. You can't just say it's 4.5% off.

40% of the time it's correct but there is only a 60% chance of that.

Merleti

Registered
I paid $350 for an Adam A/H10 two original shafts, great condition not the original bumper. Hard marked Lion on the butt.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

The blue book was/ is mostly for entertainment. A cue is worth what someone is willing to pay when exposed to a bonafide market for a reasonable period of time. Pool cue values are not static. Values vary based on condition, provenance, desirability, scarcity and other market factors.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not want to offend anyone. Is it so hard to help what you Love?

It would be a complex task, fraught with difficulties. And by the time it would be done, likely would not be valid no matter how hard you tried.

IMHO: Best thing to spend such time on is getting to know the market for the cues that interest you.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid $350 for an Adam A/H10 two original shafts, great condition not the original bumper. Hard marked Lion on the butt.

A Ritz?

About $500 retail for the most recent production of that cue (Adam did a re-release). EXAMPLE

Half that for excellent used.

Add $100 for a shaft.

Looks like you are right there.

If it's an early one, it may not have had a bumper I think...but not sure. If you need an original bumper, good luck. You might check with Jayman here on the forum, other than that they are hen's teeth.

Some people don't seem to care about original bumpers on cues. I do. I am a bumper hoarder. :D

I don't have any Adam bumpers for sale.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blue book was/ is mostly for entertainment. A cue is worth what someone is willing to pay when exposed to a bonafide market for a reasonable period of time. Pool cue values are not static. Values vary based on condition, provenance, desirability, scarcity and other market factors.

Very well said and very true.

Pool cues are worth not one penny more than the buyer is willing to give......simple as that.

Bottom line:

99% of the pool world don't give 2 chit about who made the cue, what wood it's made of...etc...etc....

All they care about is:

Do I play well with It?

If it's made of wood, CF.....or whatever.....dont matter.

I know there are the die hard "I will never use anything but maple this or maple that".....but they are the few and I mean VERY few that cannot continue to support the custom cue world all by their selves.

Times are not changing......times have changed.

Rake

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hang-the-9 are you saying you do not want to contribute or do not have the skills?

I was saying you can't just say "how much is it off" and get any answer that is shorter than the book itself. Best way to get prices for the cues is to research eBay sales, Facebook cue market sales and maybe on here. The issue is that a lot of sales are done for a price different from the asking price, and those final prices are often not disclosed. I don't remember the exact math term but there is something that states basically that you can't explain or shorten some things to make it shorter than the original set of things. You can't take that book with all the different prices and just say "the prices need to go up 15%". You need to check that for every cuemaker and a good number of their specific cue models. If you are looking for someone to go over the book and adjust the values for it, well, have at it.

I see this type of hugely broad question a lot with computers, which get the same joke response. Hey, I have this laptop, can you list every game it will play?

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
The blue book is fun to look at and is a good reference for contacts and the history of cuemakers...thats 99% it. Prices, cue produced...etc are way off at both ends of the spectrum. That being said, if anyone has a Szam they want blue book price for please let me know :rotflmao1:

The only adjusting that can be made with the blue book is if you have a table that is two inches off and needs leveled up

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is only a guide which everyone should realize and accept.
Any snapshot profile in time becomes a stagnant reflection.

Supply and demand dictate what a cue is worth and always
keep in mind that rarity and scarcity are the most important.

The BBoC does not consider any of that and certainly was
never intended to tell anyone how much their cue is worth.

It is an educational guide only and does not reflect, and was
never intended to be, a pricing tool for the secondary market.

You learn by research and first hand experience because the
market can be fickle and has been gradually declining over time.

willpat100

Registered
If you have time is there anyway you could look and see if Thomas Waynes contact info is in the list. I have been looking everywhere for it. I have a cue he made that I purchased in mid 1990's and would like him to refresh its condition. Thanks !!