Round robin team event...handicapped or not?

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I ran a 12-team round robin tournament in Alaska where we limited the teams to one player that's an A or above. Teams total three players. Top three teams and top three individuals get paid. It's ball count scoring, and the score are not revealed until the tournament is finished (no dumping).

Now that I'm in the DC area, I'd like to run it here. I've suggested using Fargorate to level the field: one player up to 700 and two at 550 and below per team. I don't know the local players well enough to do it any other way, and I'm hearing complaints about using Fargorate. I'm not fretting it as I'm sure I'll get 12 teams. But I'd like to hear/discuss alternatives.

Actual games/scoring are not handicapped.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 12-team round robin tournament in Alaska where we limited the teams to one player that's an A or above. Teams total three players. Top three teams and top three individuals get paid. It's ball count scoring, and the score are not revealed until the tournament is finished (no dumping).

Now that I'm in the DC area, I'd like to run it here. I've suggested using Fargorate to level the field: one player up to 700 and two at 550 and below per team. I don't know the local players well enough to do it any other way, and I'm hearing complaints about using Fargorate. I'm not fretting it as I'm sure I'll get 12 teams. But I'd like to hear/discuss alternatives.

Actual games/scoring are not handicapped.

Just curious .. can you give what format and does it go down to four teams for a finals round??

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Handicapping: Allows the better talent to win what they deserve and makes the less-skilled understand exactly where their game stands and what they need to do to improve.

Non-handicapping: Allows the better talent to win on a weekly basis thus removing all hope from the lesser skill-level players ultimately resulting in their non-willingness to play in the tournament anymore.

It's a double-edge sword.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Maniac

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your best bet is Instead of limiting one A player just have each team come under

a designated fargo number. Think like the APA's 28 rule. They would then have to choose

wisely their lower number handicaps/fargo players. You can effectively keep it fair this way.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there enough Fargo rated players in your area to build a league on that system?
There are not a lot of Fargo rated players in the Chicago area that I am aware of.
I would like to see a list.

KCRack'em

Silver Member
Just curious .. can you give what format and does it go down to four teams for a finals round??

No final round of four in this format. It's a round robin where each team plays the other 11 teams. By using ball count scoring and blind scoring, there often are surpises when the final numbers are revealed. A great player can get beat 10 to zero more than once and that would likely be a death knell. Few teams can dominate 11 other teams. It really is a fun format, and the cream USUALLY rises to the top.

KCRack'em

Silver Member
I think your best bet is Instead of limiting one A player just have each team come under

a designated fargo number. Think like the APA's 28 rule. They would then have to choose

wisely their lower number handicaps/fargo players. You can effectively keep it fair this way.

That certainly is a possibility. I'm just not sure what that number would be. However, I'm not sure that a Fargo cap would be any more fair than what I have proposed.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That certainly is a possibility. I'm just not sure what that number would be. However, I'm not sure that a Fargo cap would be any more fair than what I have proposed.

There is an important difference between, for example

"One A and 3B's" and

Team cap of 2250 points

Let's suppose, for a minute, everybody has an accurate Fargo Rating AND letter rating, and suppose

A 600 - 680
B 520 - 600

Some of the A's, those above 660, have a star on their head
Some of the B's, those above 580, have a star on their head

These chosen players with stars on their heads always team up together. So you get 670, 590, 590, 590 for a team at 2440

A B at 530 or an A at 610 are persona non grata... None of the chosen people want to team with them, so you get
610, 530, 530, 530 for a team of 2200

A team rating cap of 2250 does much better. Essentially if you are a weak A, you can team with stronger Bs, etc.

With that being said, your area is pretty thin for Fargo Ratings. Here is my recommendation. Make a Fargo Rating cap, and any player with an established Fargo Rating uses it in the calculation. All players without an established Fargo rating are given a letter rating, B, A, etc. Then you assign a Fargo Rating equivalent to the letters that is about two thirds of the way up the range, like A is 650, B is 570, whatever. This way every team uses the rating cap.