Your first ( good ) cue

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Pt is a legend of his own here on the northside. A journeyman prior to Thornburn time. First time I saw him he was firing those balls on a snooker table like they are 7 footer valleys. Well respected full of humor gent.
A moose is as big as a carabao.

I wish y'all spoke English up there...

If I'm reading this right ( and that's edgy, to say the least! ), you're saying something positive about PT?

If you've seen him firing balls in on *any* table, that's not PT. That's his alien double, like from 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers"!

We ain't that dumb down here, ya know... :eek:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
My first cue was a Viking. Had it about 2 weeks and then it was stolen out of my car. Arrrggggg!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My first cue was a Viking. Had it about 2 weeks and then it was stolen out of my car. Arrrggggg!
Seeing a lot of Vikings mentioned here. I had some sort of cheap red linen handled Buska knockoff during college but is was a POS.

My first decent cue was this Viking (center in pic of 3) or one similar and I really haven't gone away from Viking. I own a half dozen of them just for simplicity. Their standard shafts are garbage, the V pro is OK and their Vikore is really nice. I have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid on the one pictured, Vikore's on a few, the oddball Viking ExactShot X2 on one just for fun and a Predator 314-3 on another.

Attachments

• viking-cues-g17-l.jpg
    viking-cues-g17-l.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 20190710_181603.jpg
    20190710_181603.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I started with a one-piece Dufferin from Kmart and upgraded to a Viking two-piece cue when the tip popped off the Duff.
I bought a Meucci Hook cue when the Viking needed a new tip. Shortly thereafter the Viking was broken in a bar fight.
I ended up with another Meucci, when the Hook was stolen out of my car. The new Meucci was a PBT-3. I still have it. I retired it in favor of a McDermott stained BEM merry widow.
Having said all that, the first really good cue that I owned was a Capone kingwood merry widow. It was an amazing player. Maybe it was the original Moori tips! Yes, I eventually learned that tips could be replaced!!

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Thanks Michael, and Maniac I see further down. This is an enjoyable thread, stories, pics etc.:thumbup:

Yeah... everyone loved their first cue. Or first good one. I know I did.

And you're most welcome. A really pretty cue.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From reading through the thread it is starting to appear that by the reference of "good cue" it means to a lot of people what is your first "good, collectable cue?".

Except for my Larry Vigus cues, I suppose by the definition, I don't really have or have ever owned a "good" cue.

But...that's not MY definition of "good".

Not any kind of expert on cues, but in my opinion ( like Hawaiian Eye's), a "good" cue is nothing more than a cue that play acceptably in the hands of he/she who owns it....regardless of the price, value or collectability of it.

That opined, I have had many good cues in my ownership that would certainly fit the bill of "good" in the hands of someone more capable than I. :sorry:

Maniac

I completely agree with this. I will say, however, that what for me was my first “good” cue — a JW that I bought in 1980 — was not a collectible at the time. At least I didn’t understand it to be that. I was a 23 yr old who was just getting into the game and saw these great looking JW cues that other young players were PLAYING WITH, not collecting. I bought it to play with it, and I did just that for decades before I ever knew about it being collectible.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I completely agree with this. I will say, however, that what for me was my first “good” cue — a JW that I bought in 1980 — was not a collectible at the time. At least I didn’t understand it to be that. I was a 23 yr old who was just getting into the game and saw these great looking JW cues that other young players were PLAYING WITH, not collecting. I bought it to play with it, and I did just that for decades before I ever knew about it being collectible.

Just like every other cue ever made, really... at least back in the day. Today maybe some are made to be "collectible". Back then, they were all made to play. Bushkas, Tzsams, Rambows, Tads, Ginacues... all meant to be played. And they all were. Just like JWs. Wasn't til decades later they became expensive collectibles. Back then they were all just cues. Some cost more than others but they were worth it.

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott E-B10 165.00 at the time of purchase. Wish I still had that cue! Hell, I wish I still had every cue I've ever owned! LOL

Sent from my mobular device!
8850a21550c17b8aec70dda4a28f1287.jpg

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
84-5 with the rainbow stain. Bought it new for $225 at West Penn Billiards in 1993.

Meucci_84_Series-2.jpg

Michael Andros

Silver Member
84-5 with the rainbow stain. Bought it new for $225 at West Penn Billiards in 1993.

Gorgeous cue. I'm guessing it hit balls solid as a rock.

The first time I ever saw a black joint was on a Meucci, circa mid - late 70s? I said... "I want one." So I got one. And then someone stole it @ a month later. :( But man was it pretty. And plain as a Jane. Ebony points, maple nose, black joint ( and late in 2017 I ordered 2 customs from Meucci. Both have black joints ), linen wrap, black butt cap. Nice cue. And someone got it for free... I had to pay for it though.

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Gorgeous cue. I'm guessing it hit balls solid as a rock.

The first time I ever saw a black joint was on a Meucci, circa mid - late 70s? I said... "I want one." So I got one. And then someone stole it @ a month later. :( But man was it pretty. And plain as a Jane. Ebony points, maple nose, black joint ( and late in 2017 I ordered 2 customs from Meucci. Both have black joints ), linen wrap, black butt cap. Nice cue. And someone got it for free... I had to pay for it though.

Back then it was pretty common knowledge that if you had a mediocre or worse stroke (and, four months into taking up the game, I did), Meucci cues helped with draw. That cue really did help with draw and English, as did the Rempe edition which replaced it. When I upgraded to a Tim Scruggs a year or so later I really had to re-invent my stroke because I couldn't move the cue ball as freely.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Back then it was pretty common knowledge that if you had a mediocre or worse stroke (and, four months into taking up the game, I did), Meucci cues helped with draw.
I think you mean "pretty common myth".

pj <- but that's another thread
chgo

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Back then it was pretty common knowledge that if you had a mediocre or worse stroke (and, four months into taking up the game, I did), Meucci cues helped with draw. That cue really did help with draw and English, as did the Rempe edition which replaced it. When I upgraded to a Tim Scruggs a year or so later I really had to re-invent my stroke because I couldn't move the cue ball as freely.

One of the reasons I loved Meuccis. Less energy, more stroke / english. Plus they just looked... different. Sleek. Whatever you wanna call it. But man I liked the first one I ever saw. It was sweet.