China Open - US Representation

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I do agree with you on much of your post, I would have to think Shane goes further then Tyler in most big time tourneys. I do know Tyler has gone deeper in some tourneys, like the US Open 8 Ball, for example. That might all change soon though....will have to wait and see.

since both you and sjm misinterpreted my post i must assume that it wasn't properly formulated lol

what i meant was that tyler seems to go deeper by every big tourney he enters, not that he goes deeper than shane. i was merely comparing him to himself. his curve is pointing upwards, and he has solid fundamentals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a theory/thought:

Good thing USA won Mosconi because if it continued to be no contest, EPBF events that offer Mosconi points would be useless, since the spectacle would be on life support. That would give more incentive for Euro players to go with Chinese 8 ball. Matchroom/EPBF need to further increase their relationship.

Yes, well said.

Mosconi Cup qualification, which is worth a lot of money, is a critical perk of playing Eurotour/EPBF, and the loss of that perk would have been a big blow. Still, I suspect there is room for both Eurotour/EPBF and Chinese 8 ball in Europe if the federations all work together.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
since both you and sjm misinterpreted my post i must assume that it wasn't properly formulated lol

what i meant was that tyler seems to go deeper by every big tourney he enters, not that he goes deeper than shane. i was merely comparing him to himself. his curve is pointing upwards, and he has solid fundamentals.

Yes, I misinterpreted your post. Tyler looks like he's on a good trajectory but, to be fair, he has no credentials in overseas competition quite yet, so let's keep an open mind here and see how he performs at the China Open. I think if he reaches the round of 16 in the knockout stage, it's a very solid performance.

I've met Tyler on a few occasions, and he's a quality guy with a good attitude. Wishing him luck.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
svb doesn't travel well.. besides, tyler seems to go deeper in every big time tourney. shaping up to become quite a tournament player. i didn't expect that when i first saw him in US vs Russia
Doesn't travel well? Wasn't he twice runner up in the WPA World 9-Ball?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, indeedy. I agree. I wonder if any American entity is helping to fund these fine American players make the trip. Wouldn't it be mavelous to see the American governing body of professional pool do something for their own? The BCA and its elitists who are industry members continue to get fat while professional players are existing the industry in droves because they cannot make a living playing pool. USA has no new blood, but the European lot of professional players continues to grow. The BCA, which is USA's representative of professional pool has turned its back on professional players. SHAME ON THEM!

Maybe I am confusing news articles, but I seem to recall a recent pool brief that stated any European player who competed in a particular Chinese tournament, the name of which escapes me, will not be allowed to compete in the European governing organization of pool tournaments. Apparently, the Chinese organizers either scheduled at the same time as a European event or there was some other happening that pissed off the European governing body of professional pool.

Does anybody remember it?

Aren't there something like 10,000 governing body for pro billiards here in the states? For all the crap the APA gets(and rightfully so), they at least know to slap their names on players playing for events like the mosconi cup.

but yeah, it sucks.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Doesn't travel well? Wasn't he twice runner up in the WPA World 9-Ball?

For some reason nobody on here seems to care about 2nd place, even though
it's perfectly logical to see making the finals of a world championship as a GREAT performance.

Think that's also why we see people overly skeptical of fargo ratings. If someone beats a world 9b
champion they deserve a lot of credit, but if they did it in the 2nd round of some other 9b event,
then for whatever reason it's like it 'doesn't count'.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't say the data lies...but I know id much rather play svb in round 1 than in the quarter finals.

For some reason nobody on here seems to care about 2nd place, even though
it's perfectly logical to see making the finals of a world championship as a GREAT performance.

Think that's also why we see people overly skeptical of fargo ratings. If someone beats a world 9b
champion they deserve a lot of credit, but if they did it in the 2nd round of some other 9b event,
then for whatever reason it's like it 'doesn't count'.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a little note on this "doesn't travel well" issue

[...]

Just for Mr. Jewett, who doesn't do faceplant, the conclusion was

"So we decided to check. Shane has played over 7,000 games in the last five years with a bit over 700 games (10%) played against established opponents in Europe or Asia. A Specific Performance Rating (SPR) can be computed for Shane based ONLY on those 700 games.
That SPR--an effective Fargo Rating for Shane considering just his matches played outside North America in the last five years--is 834. Shane Van Boening has actually outperformed his domestic play when traveling abroad."

This is from a year ago.