One pocket rule question

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came up last night playing some one pocket for $50 a game.

Cue-ball and object ball are frozen together, can you shoot straight thru?

Or do you need to shoot away or at a 45?

Thanks for the replies

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies
Straight-thru is not a foul. When they're close but not touching is when you have to shoot at an angle away from the ob.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Straight-thru is not a foul. When they're close but not touching is when you have to shoot at an angle away from the ob.
That's the official rule but some places make up their own rules. DCC in particular has its own rules and if you are there, it's good to ask. For example, at DCC you are allowed to hit the cue ball twice as long as you're somewhat jacked up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the official rule but some places make up their own rules. DCC in particular has its own rules and if you are there, it's good to ask. For example, at DCC you are allowed to hit the cue ball twice as long as you're somewhat jacked up.
I love DCC but this rule is kinda "jacked-up" to me. You really need to get straight on the rules before you play.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
We go by the width of a chalk cube. If you're closer than that you have to shoot at an angle.
As you probably know, you can tell even when they're closer than that by how the CB moves - but you have to know what to look for.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies

You can shoot straight through but you need to jack up a bit.

Jacking up helps prevent a double hit plus you'll make your opponent and the ref happy. (Scott Smith has reffed this shot on me several times at the DCC.)

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here's a shameless plug for tom tom....:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZiZguPILCA

(he's got lots of good stuff.....)

That's a good explanation of the "two times fuller system" which I think was first in print in Bob Byrne's "Standard Book". Here's the first diagram from Byrne showing how to do the calculation when the balls are not lined up so evenly with the cushion.

CropperCapture[383].png

There is more info on the system on Dr. Dave's website including video.

As Tom says, it's important to not use follow or draw as that will change the direction of the cue ball.

The shot he shows is probably illegal at Derby City because of the different rules they use there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you probably know, you can tell even when they're closer than that by how the CB moves - but you have to know what to look for.

pj
chgo
Local tournaments have used this rule for a while now. I'm fully aware that you can be closer and not foul but in a tournament it avoids a lot of arguing &bitc*^#ing.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies

For many years it's been allowed to shoot right through. Keep in mind....if there are other balls in the area, you can not have contact with the Cue ball and one of the secondary balls at the same time. So, when following through with the frozen ball, you may have to shorten your stroke if there are other balls nearby...