Where to play?

strumnken

passionate pool player
Hello Everyone!

I live on the west coast of Washington. I'm a pool freak. Unfortunately these two things don't mix well. There isn't much of a pool community here and definitely not much action here. It's time for me to move. But where to go? I want to move anywhere in the U.S. where there is a large pool community. Where I can find leagues to join, tournaments to play in and lots of people to play against. What do you think? Where, in your experience, is the strongest pool communities in the U.S.?

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Las Vegas is a contender. Many places to play that are open 24/7. Lots of leagues and tournaments. Can't comment personally on the action as I don't shoot straight but certainly people do gamble. Can sometimes sweat top-notch people in action. APA, BCA, VNEA and other national final tournaments come here and the rooms are packed for months.

Cheaper to live here than in some cities. If you come, enjoy your trees and water in WA while you can. Summer weather sucks. Last and most important: If you can't regulate and moderate any "bad habits" you may have (gambling, drinking, strip clubs, etc) this place WILL chop you up in little pieces.

Good luck to you with whatever you choose.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Las Vegas is a contender. Many places to play that are open 24/7. Lots of leagues and tournaments. Can't comment personally on the action as I don't shoot straight but certainly people do gamble. Can sometimes sweat top-notch people in action. APA, BCA, VNEA and other national final tournaments come here and the rooms are packed for months.

Cheaper to live here than in some cities. If you come, enjoy your trees and water in WA while you can. Summer weather sucks. Last and most important: If you can't regulate and moderate any "bad habits" you may have (gambling, drinking, strip clubs, etc) this place WILL chop you up in little pieces.

Good luck to you with whatever you choose.

action has always been over rated in Vegas. I been there for over 20 years.

strumnken

passionate pool player
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming. In the discussions I've had so far, Las Vegas, New York, Tampa, and Houston have come up alot. I don't have my heart set on any of these places but they are all decent options. However, I need more information and hoping good 'ol azbilliards will help me out.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I think it will depend on your level of play and the game you play! I think the most top notch player are California, North or South Carolina, Ohio, or Indiana. Houston, TX., Louisiana, and Memphis seem to have a lot of gamble. As far as leagues most big cities have numerous leagues to join.

Good luck on your move!

strumnken

passionate pool player
What part of California? I have connections around the San Diego area. I'm not too concerned about gambling, per se. It's not my goal. Don't mind doing it, but not what I live for.