Votes: 5 4.8%
  • forever - it will be a smashing success

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like the option more than one season. This poll appears to favor the haters.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears that the game of Bonus Ball was newly created by professionals in the hope that the general public will support it. This is not typically how supply and demand works in the marketplace.

BB is a interesting concept but without a proven market, I'm afraid that it is doomed to failure.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears that the game of Bonus Ball was newly created by professionals in the hope that the general public will support it. This is not typically how supply and demand works in the marketplace.

BB is a interesting concept but without a proven market, I'm afraid that it is doomed to failure.

its the "Build it and they will come" plan, it has worked in the past-just sayin'

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I'm trying not to be definitively negative about BB, but I can't help it. The business, PR, and marketing "plans" for BB make absolutely no sense.

The market for a new flavor of baby food is the same as it is without the new flavor, the market for new sets of pool balls are ultimately people owning pool tables. Anyone believing that you can place a medical emblem on a set of pool balls and you immediately turn the entire medical profession into pool playing fanatics is crazy foolish.

Anyone who does not currently play some form of pool will not become interested in pool because of BB. In fact, I doubt that there are too many people who are not already aware of pool to begin with. Are they now expected to say "Wow, BB is finally here, after all these years of not wanting to play pool for a multitude of reasons I'm now going to start playing because of BB" ? Not going to happen.

Make no mistakes, the BB business model is to cannibalize from the existing pool market...plain and simple. It doesn't take a marketing genius to figure that out.

J

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"BB is a interesting concept but without a proven market, I'm afraid that it is doomed to failure."

Nothing wrong in trying to create your own market, it's been done before. It will be interesting following this adventure.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
CJ mentioned if pool had a pro league and the product was good enough for TV, ESPN would have it on TV.... Well Nathan has done a great job and i bet we see BB on TV any takers wanna bet with me on this!!!! doesn't pool have a chance of success if it gets on TV..

You should start a haters poll, of how many will be converted and actually watch...

strumnken

passionate pool player
So... what's really so different?

First off, let me state that I am by no means a hater. I'm considering buying the ball set and software so we can play BB in my little town of Aberdeen.

To me, it seems as though the professionals created bonus ball to help increase the popularity, the sponsorship opportunities and earnings potential in the game/sport of pool. Their idea of having local teams is ok... but unfortunately I don't believe it's quite the right idea to achieve the goals that they have. To my way of thinking the problem is this... though the game the pro's are playing is new... we are still watching the same players compete against the same players that we've been watching compete for years. Though I, myself, am a pool freak, and will watch the game just because I love to watch these guys play, I am an utter minority in the community. Bonus ball, in order to become successful and widely accepted and viewed by the public must do something new in order to draw interest and crowds. In order for BB to increase interest and earnings potential it MUST not only increase the numbers of people playing BB but it also must increase the numbers of people willing to watch BB. Every pool hall should have a ball set and must have a reason to play. It needs hometown heroes. I feel BB, in order to become successful, needs to have a different format.

How about this? Have regional tournaments that progress into statewide championships. Have the winners of those state championships play against the Pro Tour teams with the opportunity to become one of the pro teams. This format would give average players a reason to become involved in the game. It would give them a goal to strive for and it would supply the hometown heroes necessary to get a much larger percentage of the populace interested in watching to see who wins. After all, just for example, it would be far more interesting for my girlfriend, parents or friends to watch my team battle it through the regionals, state championships, and finally battle it out with the pro's than to watch the same 'ol pro's continue to play against the same 'ol pro's.

Whaddya all think?

Last edited:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ mentioned if pool had a pro league and the product was good enough for TV, ESPN would have it on TV.... Well Nathan has done a great job and i bet we see BB on TV any takers wanna bet with me on this!!!! doesn't pool have a chance of success if it gets on TV..

You should start a haters poll, of how many will be converted and actually watch...

Problem is if it did make TV it would be brief because the game itself is outright silly, people may watch EARL, other then him theres no draw. I will bet it dont make ESPN, it may make GSN or something.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem is if it did make TV it would be brief because the game itself is outright silly, people may watch EARL, other then him theres no draw. I will bet it dont make ESPN, it may make GSN or something.

Football, skateboarding and golf are all silly as well. They are well packaged and the TV makes as much out of their story outside of the sport so if that is done with BB it will go especially if it is on TV. Good luck to all the players and the business.

I just want a shirt, was hoping a specific player shirt was available.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Long as?
crown-games-poker-pool-set.jpg

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Funny u post that..When me,Doubl j and James Davis Jr were on the road we encountered a southern state where we got action playing Poker pool..To be honest I think it woul be a TV hit..Easy to understand..creative shots and strategy to make the best poker hand..Its actually a good game..

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After watching some BB last night on you tube I think a better poll would be how many of the supporters will drop off ,

I just don't see it any more exciting than one pocket and unless someone is playing the role of Monica Luinsky at the ESPN corporate offices I don't see it getting a whole lot of TV time.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think that BB's biggest obstacle to success is the fact that you have to buy a special set of balls to play the game. That was a terrible idea.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Only saw it recently and have to agree with some of the comments

Positives:

- Pool players getting together and agreeing to try something new
- Backers / organizers investing time and money to help the game

Negatives

- Needing new equipment is an appalling idea, pool has a big enough challenge as is
- The game itself just isn't watchable, ONLY pool players will like watching it

It seems to me that the game was created by PLAYERS as current games don't offer a stiff enough challenge to seperate the boys from the girls and to take out the luck factor, players so to crave anything that will allow the cream to rise to the top.

Stick with a game the public knows, just stick it on tougher equipment and remove the luck factor if possible, don't go reinventing the wheel and destroying what little advantage pool has, everyone has played 8 ball / 9 ball and can relate to it!