Elbow Alignment

clarkie39

Registered
I think sometimes I get mixed feelings on how important "elbow alignment" is through your forearm to your wrist. Making sure all three are on the same plane. I have checked via a mirror but obviously i can't stand directly behind myself to see if its perfectly lined up . How can you check to make sure your elbow is aligned properly. Any ideas?

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think sometimes I get mixed feelings on how important "elbow alignment" is through your forearm to your wrist. Making sure all three are on the same plane. I have checked via a mirror but obviously i can't stand directly behind myself to see if its perfectly lined up . How can you check to make sure your elbow is aligned properly. Any ideas?

I have seen some pool and snooker players with great shotmaking skills. No one of them has this "important elbow alignment"........

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I would venture to say that most of the top players have their elbow in the same vertical plane as the cue stick or at the very least within an inch of the vertical plane.

I would continue to strive for this type of alignment since it is paramount in developing consistency in the stroke pendulum.

Have another experienced player assist you with this or see an instructor.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this. What's important to me, is whether the cue moves in a straight line when you strike the CB. If it does, even if the forearm is slightly cocked in or out, I don't try to "fix" it. If the OP is interested, I'll be in Indy in 3 weeks. He can PM me for more information.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I would venture to say that most of the top players have their elbow in the same vertical plane as the cue stick or at the very least within an inch of the vertical plane.

I would continue to strive for this type of alignment since it is paramount in developing consistency in the stroke pendulum.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Top players? You can watch Efren, Django, Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins......... Can you really see a straight elbow? People are not "built" the same way. It has to do with our joints. For some pleyers it is 100% impossible to shoot straight with a straight elbow. Trust me....

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Why not simply look at the form of the #1 player in the world today........

That should be top enough for you.

Body types can influence stance but proper alignment as it relates to the execution of the stroke is not so flexible in it's purity.

Style can influence technique but a properly aligned pendulum is still subject to the laws of design.

Unless you have a deformed elbow joint, positioning the elbow or pivot in alignment with the stoke still affords the most efficient and accurate delivery mechanism.

Last edited:

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not simply look at the form of the #1 player in the world today........

That should be top enough for you.

And who is this #1 player? And he shoots better than Ronnie or John Higgins? Can you say anything about their elbow alignment? Is there something wrong? Would you like to shoot like them? Everybody is different. You have to try everything and find out what works for you. This is the answer.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Thorsten Hohmann is #1 in the world right now.

I disagree with your assessment...but that's OK. We all learn in different ways. That doesn't prevent many from trying to change the laws of physics until they prove themselves to be true.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten Hohmann is #1 in the world right now.

I disagree with your assessment...but that's OK. We all learn in different ways. That doesn't prevent many from trying to change the laws of physics until they prove themselves to be true.

Thorsten is good. Svb and Darren also. But they will never shoot like Efren or Django....... And they will never reach their level.......... I don't like today's "robots". I prefer "pure talents".......... Oh I would love to shoot like Django......... And I wouldn't care about my elbow alignment.................

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or maybe I would care about my shoulder and elbow alignment. But not in the way that most people think......................... And if I could shoot like Francisco................

clarkie39

Registered
Got it .. I set up my iPad behind me with a contractor's laser line and shot balls making sure the butt of my stick and was staying on line . By using the IPad as mirror I could just turn and look to see if the butt of my stick and elbow was on line.. Technology today helps greatly with practicing and stroke improvement.. If ur not using then ur missing out.:thumbup: