Solvent to remove decals?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

As funny as it sounds, I ran into a decal cue that has an absolutely exquisite hit (really love the way this cue plays), and underneath the decals, is very attractive unstained maple. Some of the best pure maple figuring I've seen.

I'd like to remove the decals (obviously I know this will also remove the finish, as the solvent needs to dissolve the finish to get at the decals) so that I can expose this really nice wood. Then, a refinishing is in the works to complete the job, resulting in a really nice hitting and looking "blondie" cue.

Question: what solvent would you folks recommend to do this?

Appreciate any tips and techniques,
-Sean

BLACHEART42

Registered
The decals are applied & then a clearcoat is sprayed over the top. Sandpaper with the lathe turning would be my advice. This is not for the amature...JER

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The decals are applied & then a clearcoat is sprayed over the top. Sandpaper with the lathe turning would be my advice. This is not for the amature...JER

JER:

Thank you very much. So spin the butt on a lathe with sandpaper uniformly applied, until the clearcoat that's holding them down is removed, and the decals should peel free (or themselves be removed by the sandpaper).

Although I do have a lathe, I will definitely let a pro do this. This cue is worth it.

Thanks again!
-Sean

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Most likely what you are planning will work but..... why not just have the cue refinished and do it right.......... ???

Kim

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most likely what you are planning will work but..... why not just have the cue refinished and do it right.......... ???

Kim

Kim:

That's what I'm planning on. Decal removal with complete refinish -- done by a professional.

And for you jokesters (Ryan!! ;) ), no, the figuring on the maple is not a decal. :D

This may sound silly to some, but I've actually run into some old Dufferin house cues that, despite their inexpensive nature, had unique-enough figuring that someone bought the cue from the pool hall and sent it to someone to cut in half, joint it, and finish as a player.

-Sean

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
I would just have the person doing the refinish remove the decal also. I say this because you might use a chemical that has a bad reaction with the finish method the professional uses. I'm pretty sure you won't save any money by taking the decal off yourself and possibly will cost you more in the end.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
And for you jokesters (Ryan!! ;) ), no, the figuring on the maple is not a decal. :D

It was only half a joke! ;) I do see several decal cues with the BEM being a decal as well. They are very well done and fool a good many people. I just wanted to make sure.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was only half a joke! ;) I do see several decal cues with the BEM being a decal as well. They are very well done and fool a good many people. I just wanted to make sure.

:D I know what you mean. You mentioned BEM, but I didn't. I could see if BEM decals would be used, because this would "add to the exotic look of the cue" (or somesuch). Plus, I can feel the decals over the wood; very subtle, but I can feel the "lip" of the decal edges.

Rather, it's straight-grain maple, nothing fancy. It's just that it was cut from a nice piece of stock, with well-defined grain lines -- subtle, but obvious. I imagine even in production houses, as you cut hundreds of pieces of stock, you're bound to come across a piece of stock that only after you cut it, you're surprised at what lurked beneath what appeared to be an ordinary piece of maple stock. This decal cue must be one of those blue-moon gems.

By having the decals removed, I want to have this particular nice straight-grain maple exposed, instead of covered up.

Thanks for the responses, all!
-Sean