SVB vs Gareth Potts, 2014 Chinese 8 Ball Masters

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

As a diversion from the threads whining about dress codes and what-not, here's a four-parter of the SVB vs. Gareth Potts match during the 2014 Chinese 8 Ball Masters.

Part 1 of 4:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=SJxmFaoUrFw

Part 2 of 4:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VIu_XypIZC8

Part 3 of 4:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0TLm8YFu8CQ

Part 4 of 4:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VCx5kDyJAl4

Some points (warning -- spoiler alert!):

1. The introductory commentator keeps referring to SVB as "the legendary American pool player." Interesting that Shane is seen as "legendary" so soon in his young career.

2. As an adjunct to point #1, the introductory announcer's introduction is certainly complimentary to Shane, but make no mistake about it, Shane takes a shellacking in this match.

3. He grossly overruns position (especially on the 8-ball), requiring the jump cue on several occasions.

4. Whereas during the few times when Potts misses he leaves nothing for Shane (two-way shot), when Shane misses, he sells out.

I certainly am not trying to criticize Shane, as the conditions are not something he's used to. But he did make some rookie mistakes -- trying to muscle the cue ball (when a simple stop or stun shot would do), and thus overruns position many times. Give Shane some time on these tables, and I'm sure the "table" would be turned.

Enjoy,
-Sean

TheThaiger

Banned
No chance, not now, not ever. This is pool, red in tooth and claw, and your boy simply can't cut it in a game of skill and finesse like this. Not now, not ever.

He knows it, too. You can physically see it after he misses a long 4 ball by about a foot. THAT is his one trick pony moment. Potts even out broke him!

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Potts plays any other cuesports other than 8 ball? Great Britain is producing some great players.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently watched this match from a clip that consolidated the whole match instead of the different links. I agree that SVB made mistakes in this match, but with the way Potts played this match I'm not sure if anyone would have beat him. Potts didn't play the rest of the tournament as well as he did this match, although he won the whole thing. I think Potts got it in his head that he was going to have to bring it if he was going to be able to compete with SVB and ended up playing a nearly flawless match.

TheThaiger

Banned
I recently watched this match from a clip that consolidated the whole match instead of the different links. I agree that SVB made mistakes in this match, but with the way Potts played this match I'm not sure if anyone would have beat him. Potts didn't play the rest of the tournament as well as he did this match, although he won the whole thing. I think Potts got it in his head that he was going to have to bring it if he was going to be able to compete with SVB and ended up playing a nearly flawless match.

Really can't agree with that. You are seeing what you want to see. Potts has played far better against other players than he did against svb, notably melling in the previous year's final. Potts was pretty average against svb - at least until he worked how poor his opponent was.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised any of the Brits here actually like Potts, considering how painfully slow he plays.

Damn good though.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Potts is a monster but rest assured that tourney produced some amazing cuest to the world, not a bad match. I'm posting the most recent match in the "What a match" thread in a sec. American don't stand well in that field on those tables

I'm surprised any of the Brits here actually like Potts, considering how painfully slow he plays.

Damn good though.

Potts' slow play is a hangover from english pool, which is often glacial in pace. The other brits with an english 8 background can be slow too, noticeably appleton and boyes.

But this brit wants a 15 second stopclock, 2 extensions per set, whoever is playing.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Potts' slow play is a hangover from english pool, which is often glacial in pace. The other brits with an english 8 background can be slow too, noticeably appleton and boyes.

But this brit wants a 15 second stopclock, 2 extensions per set, whoever is playing.

Jayson Shaw is obviously a huge departure from that.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Potts is a monster but rest assured that tourney produced some amazing cuest to the world, not a bad match. I'm posting the most recent match in the "What a match" thread in a sec. American don't stand well in that field on those tables

Check out the comments section on that video.

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
i don't think he's that slow. there's much slower players. shane seemed to be imitating him in his play, i think thats whatr hurt him. by video four he didnt even wanna be there it seemed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I assume the rails are flat-edged like snooker....

Does anyone know if the cloth is directional?

Adjusting to directional nap is a big hurdle for a pool player.

And snooker rubber is far less responsive to english.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
i'm not sure about the cloth or cushions, i think they aren't very different. they use a different kind of brand but are very similar. the balls on the other hand are lighter then the usual aramiths, and may be the reason svb is overhitting many shots.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the likelihood of Shane winning that match about equal to Potts beating Shane at an American game?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the likelihood of Shane winning that match about equal to Potts beating Shane at an American game?

If you mean WPA 8 ball or American 8balll when you say American game, then obviously not
Shane may be favorite in WPA 8 ball but not by much but he is big underdog in C8
So if you add up probabilities of both , overall Potts will be ahead. If it is 9b or 10b , Shane is clear favorite

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume the rails are flat-edged like snooker....

Does anyone know if the cloth is directional?

Adjusting to directional nap is a big hurdle for a pool player.

And snooker rubber is far less responsive to english.

All I know is that the rail is steel belted and the cloth is triple shaved on a heated table.