Evgeny Stalev 151-and-out against Mike Davis (and continues run to 226!)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

Those that are following the news in the 14.1 forum (or otherwise watching the live stream) just witnessed a 151-and-out from Evgeny Stalev against Mike Davis. They each started out with an intentional foul, -1 - -1, and then Evgeny just got up there and ran 151 balls and out.

They graciously let him continue his run to 225 (the run was actually 226-balls). In the final rack, he made this absolutely SICK down-the-rail cut shot on a 6-ball (the key ball), and landed as perfect as can be on the break ball. Sadly, Evgeny let his foot off the gas, and missed the break ball (he had a smile on his face the whole time, and I guess just let up on his concentration).

So, we got to witness a 226-ball run from The Mighty Russian!

Отлично, Евгений! ("Excellent, Eugene!")

-Sean

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks:

Those that are following the news in the 14.1 forum (or otherwise watching the live stream) just witnessed a 151-and-out from Evgeny Stalev against Mike Davis. They each started out with an intentional foul, -1 - -1, and then Evgeny just got up there and ran 151 balls and out.

They graciously let him continue his run to 225 (the run was actually 226-balls). In the final rack, he made this absolutely SICK down the rail cut shot on a 6-ball (the key ball), and landed as perfect as can be on the break ball. Sadly, Evgeny let his foot off the gas, and missed the break ball (he had a smile on his face the whole time, and I guess just let up on his concentration).

-Sean

Looked like a guy out for a walk in the park. Appleton's 200 didnt last that long after all.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looked like a guy out for a walk in the park. Appleton's 200 didnt last that long after all.

They have John Schmidt miked on a nearby table, and John's marveling at Evgeny's "just get down and shoot" method -- saying "Evgeny's really fun to watch!"

I was jaw-dropped the whole time -- just when you thought he was in trouble, he'd get up and one-stroke a really difficult shot in.

Kudos to Mike Davis for being such a good sport, and even getting in the commentator's booth to give a little 411 on Evgeny's main game of choice (Russian Pyramid). Evgeny made those 9-footers look like bar tables, and it probably looked that way to him as well!

Would've loved to see how Evgeny would've performed at the Straight Pool Challenge a couple years ago, when they were on a Diamond 10-footer (the one that Stuart Pettman ran the record 117 on).

Great stuff!
-Sean

str8shtr

Registered
Evenly run

I was watching the stream and he made some really difficult shots look really easy. Lot of beautiful position shots and bumping balls to favorable area.Well done, very exciting to watch. Feel bad for Mike Davis though, he's a good guy. Tough way to get bounced. Btw I had it at a 224. They both took a foul in the opening rack and then he ran 17 full racks. Missed the break ball on the 18th rack. Really impressive though!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Stalev is a beast. I watched him demolish racks at the BCA nationals one year. Everyone wanted to play "the Russian"..... but only once then they ducked him. He rolled over good players with that careless style that seemed out of this world.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High run

This is some great stuff.

Thank you for the report.

I do not think any other game could yield such great feats.

:grin:

bouza

Registered
Stalev is a beast. I watched him demolish racks at the BCA nationals one year. Everyone wanted to play "the Russian"..... but only once then they ducked him. He rolled over good players with that careless style that seemed out of this world.

Anyone have the link and if I could watch that video of stalev on youtube?? And what is the name of the tourney? Sorry im from the otherside of the world

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

They graciously let him continue his run to 225 (the run was actually 226-balls). In the final rack, he made this absolutely SICK down-the-rail cut shot on a 6-ball (the key ball), and landed as perfect as can be on the break ball. Sadly, Evgeny let his foot off the gas, and missed the break ball (he had a smile on his face the whole time, and I guess just let up on his concentration).

-Sean

Sean -- I wish I had started going through the threads earlier tonight. This is the 4th one I've found on this and posted a correction.

Stalev's run was 224, not 225 or 226.

Yes, he started at a score of (-1), and his opponent also was at (-1).

Then he ran 10 full racks (140 points) plus 11 balls from the 11th rack for the "151 and out" that gave him the game score of 150 - (-1).

He continued, running the remaining 3 balls from the 11th rack plus 5 more full racks, i.e., an additional 73 balls.

Total run: 151 + 73 = 224.

Or, just view it as 16 full racks at 14 balls each = 224. He missed the break shot for the 17th rack.

But what's a couple balls one way or the other; it was great fun watching when he kept pumping in the tough shots.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Anyone have the link and if I could watch that video of stalev on youtube?? And what is the name of the tourney? Sorry im from the otherside of the world

It was action matches at the BCA Nationals in Las Vegas.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Appleton's will stand as it was a race to 200 if I am not mistaken.
if it is not a record why keep shooting it is a shame Darren was stopped at 200 when he got to 200 Bustamante disturbed the balls or they would have let him keep going to set the record

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if it is not a record why keep shooting it is a shame Darren was stopped at 200 when he got to 200 Orcullo disturbed the balls or they would have let him keep going to set the record

With Darren's 200, it was in the tournament semi-finals, with the finals coming up about an hour and a half later. So Darren had important things ahead of him that day, and might have been well served by the rest rather than continuing play. Even with the rest (if he really got any), he missed a bunch of times in the finals.

Stalev, on the other hand, would not play again until tomorrow. So he could easily try to keep the run going.

(By the way, Appleton's opponent and ball raker was Bustamante, not Orcollo.)

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if it is not a record why keep shooting it is a shame Darren was stopped at 200 when he got to 200 Orcullo disturbed the balls or they would have let him keep going to set the record

Bustamante, not Orcullo, raked the balls with his cue to prevent Appleton from continuing.

I doubt that Darren would have continued anyway, because he still had to play his next match almost immediately against Thorsten for the championship. Thorsten won easily, and quite a few folks felt that the final match should have been postponed for about an hour or so to allow Darren to rest.

These 200 point semi-final and final matches back-to-back are monsters for even the most elite players.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bustamante, not Orcullo, raked the balls with his cue to prevent Appleton from continuing.

I doubt that Darren would have continued anyway, because he still had to play his next match almost immediately against Thorsten for the championship. Thorsten won easily, and quite a few folks felt that the final match should have been postponed for about an hour or so to allow Darren to rest.

These 200 point semi-final and final matches back-to-back are monsters for even the most elite players.

Looks like we had similar thoughts. But the finals didn't commence immediately; the gap was about 110 minutes.

Edit: Hohmann had about 4 hours between his semi-final match and the finals.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope this run will later be available for purchase on dvd or online

I think I remember Upstate Al saying they would be free on YouTube at some point, but not soon (to avoid complaints from buyers of the stream).

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I think Appleton's record should stand as the high run in competition. Stalev's is exhibition past 150. Although I think it should stand as some sort of record. Personally perhaps they should allow all players who are on runs of 100+ when the game final score is reached to keep going with a $10,000 bonus for anyone who breaks Mosconi's record.

Why not? It would make for a longer tournament but then would provide the opportunity for a miracle run in the best possible setting.