Why do Pinoy's tend to be 'dirty' pool players

Pangit

Banned
Video

On the world stage they conform to international standards for pool room decorum. Back home it's a different story.

I don't know who Lupin is, but he's wearing a cueing glove and not dirtying up the table with 'powder' whilst playing Johann Chua.

Don't give me the humidity excuse. I've lived in the RP for over ten years don't use a glove and never treated even the worse table I've played on like this.

Normally the table looks much worse, still amazes me...powder on the rails and cat tracks on the cloth.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Messy may have been the better word choice. I see what you mean. I'm no powder fan either. But considering the high humidity over there...

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video

On the world stage they conform to international standards for pool room decorum. Back home it's a different story.

I don't know who Lupin is, but he's wearing a cueing glove and not dirtying up the table with 'powder' whilst playing Johann Chua.

Don't give me the humidity excuse. I've lived in the RP for over ten years don't use a glove and never treated even the worse table I've played on like this.

Normally the table looks much worse, still amazes me...powder on the rails and cat tracks on the cloth.

The powder on the rails seems to be a Pinoy thing - I've only ever seen in these PI money game videos. Looking at the set up in these rooms, they rarely have any side tables for the players (where I would expect to see the little piles of powder). And I didn't see it in on the rails in the two real pool halls I went to in Manila - but they had side tables around.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
1 uses powder and 1 doesn't, yet you label them all as "dirty"? In this one example 1/2 is using powder and that person is checking the cloth to make sure nothing is on it. Are you "special"?
Don't answer, we know

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I don't know about the new gloves, but I played many hours on my table in my screened room in Tampa, FL when humidity was in the 80-90 range and dewpoint high 70's. The gloves wound get soaked from sweat and cue wouldn't slide. I used powder on those days. Just clean the table more. They play with no A/C or outside mostly. Johnnyt

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Video

You make a good point, but have you ever actually been to a professional event? Most of the players that don't use a glove use hand powder. White stuff is all over the place sometimes nearly as bad as this video). And then there are the players that use the Kamui chalk that just makes a mess of the tables.

It ain't just a Pinoy thing.

Freddie

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend is a Pinoy player who grew up over there in a family owned pool room.He says because of the humidity it's how people play there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Luther Lassiter was known for generating great clouds of talc dust when he was playing. The table looked like a cotton field afterwards. When I've played people like that -- much less common now than when I started -- I thought it was useful for playing position. Go to the small bright smudge by the first diamond.

At the US Open 9 Ball last night it was an American, not a Pinoy, who left the table rather powdered. There are clean hand towels at every table.

My worst experience with a talc addict was in one of the Sands tournaments in Reno. The guy had a really, really severe sweating problem. The talc turned into mud on his hands and then he racked the balls. Instant skids on every third shot. It made the game quite a challenge. If I had been smarter, I would have racked for him.

pickngrin

I believe that in money games they play cue ball fouls only so they have a guy use powder to mark the position of any balls near the shooter that could be accidentally moved. Eventually the table gets almost completely covered with powder. I've never seen anyone brush the table between games or matches.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that in money games they play cue ball fouls only so they have a guy use powder to mark the position of any balls near the shooter that could be accidentally moved. Eventually the table gets almost completely covered with powder. I've never seen anyone brush the table between games or matches.

Not quite. They usually use chalk (like we would use in school to write on the blackboard) to mark any balls that might get moved accidentally. The marks are pretty small.

BuzzSwiss

Registered
I live in The Philippines too, and on this video it isn't so bad. I've seen some table where you can barely see the cloth color, and when you rack the balls, it's like pouring powder in your hands.

Every time I go to my bar team table, and I see this mess, I'm getting mad, as we have just put a new simonis 860 on it.

Filipino style...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having lived in the PI for three years, I know why people use powder.

I grew up using powder and use it even today, but I don't cover my hands with it and get it all over the table.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think they have the market cornered on making a messy table with powder by any means. I have gone to some tables in my hall that looked there had been a blizzard on it. Even the balls smelled like a baby's behind from all of the powder.