Understanding the TAP handicap system

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a TAP player and one thing not considered when looking at your last 20 matches is table size.

I play double jeopardy on 9' tables in a pool hall and recently went up in 9-ball before I went up in 8. Looking at my last 20 matches in each, I was much better in 8. However, I know I have matches from a TAP tournament on small tables in my last 20 which would not be used for my 9' skill level.

On another note, LOs are supposed to rarely intervene with skill levels in TAP. Having played in a few national events with TAP, I think the system works well. My only trip to APA nationals led me to never play APA again.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a TAP player and one thing not considered when looking at your last 20 matches is table size.

I play double jeopardy on 9' tables in a pool hall and recently went up in 9-ball before I went up in 8. Looking at my last 20 matches in each, I was much better in 8. However, I know I have matches from a TAP tournament on small tables in my last 20 which would not be used for my 9' skill level.

On another note, LOs are supposed to rarely intervene with skill levels in TAP. Having played in a few national events with TAP, I think the system works well. My only trip to APA nationals led me to never play APA again.

Iirc I read on here once that tap has 2 handicaps for players. one for local play and one for tournaments as it seems players always shoot better in tournaments than local league.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iirc I read on here once that tap has 2 handicaps for players. one for local play and one for tournaments as it seems players always shoot better in tournaments than local league.
I have heard of a "tournament module", not exactly a separate handicap. I believe it uses a larger sample and will round up more aggressively.

I saw a 3 make three jump shots in one match at the tap national but nothing like you see at the Westgate.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard of a "tournament module", not exactly a separate handicap. I believe it uses a larger sample and will round up more aggressively.

I saw a 3 make three jump shots in one match at the tap national but nothing like you see at the Westgate.

Jump shots with a jump cue on a 7 footer are not very hard, I'd be worried if that 3 was playing proper patterns and good position and speed control.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When was the last time you were there? I've been to every APA event in Vegas for the last 20+ years and in the last 15 haven't seen anything that made my eyes pop. Maybe I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm sure there are still some cheaters, it's impossible to catch them all, but it's infinitely better than it was 20 years ago.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was 2016. What drove me away was not the sandbagging as much as the complaining about sandbagging. That was truly rampant.

I was there for the 8-ball team tournament. I saw the 9-ball bracket that was before I arrived. Close to half of the teams in the final 16 were marked as disqualified. So you try to win and get DQ'd if you do.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was 2016. What drove me away was not the sandbagging as much as the complaining about sandbagging. That was truly rampant.

I was there for the 8-ball team tournament. I saw the 9-ball bracket that was before I arrived. Close to half of the teams in the final 16 were marked as disqualified. So you try to win and get DQ'd if you do.

That's BS. Somebody wins every year, and somebody usually does get disqualified. Usually one, maybe two in 9-Ball and as many as three in 8-Ball, and they all deserve it.

As many as 5 out of 1200, not bad, but half the final 16?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I don't believe you. It's not a matter of belief. I'm saying you're not telling the truth. I doubt you were even there.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's BS. Somebody wins every year, and somebody usually does get disqualified. Usually one, maybe two in 9-Ball and as many as three in 8-Ball, and they all deserve it.

As many as 5 out of 1200, not bad, but half the final 16?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I don't believe you. It's not a matter of belief. I'm saying you're not telling the truth. I doubt you were even there.
It was definitely the final 16 where all of these disqualified teams were. I really don't care if you believe me or not.

I appreciate that you helped remind me to not join the APA again.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Heck, I thought this thread was about TAP and not about the other league.

A couple things people should know, just worry about your own handicap and remember

that it is a team event and it's not all about you.

Be a team player and play for the team. Know the rules and play to win...LOL