free software/program for room size with multiple tables?

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help...our local senior center has 2 American snooker tables & 4 eight ft. Gandy & Brunswicks. They're building another center, probably 18 months out, with a smaller size billiard room. Is there any free program/software out there that I can utilize that let's me put in room dimensions, table dimensions, and move the tables around that show's dimensions? They think we can do 2 snooker / 3 regular tables in the alloted space, what I see gives virtually no seating room. Thanks for any help.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt you'll find a software program out there to give you your best potential table layout for a room. For someone that's been in the business for years, it's not that hard - just common sense. Just keep in mind you need 5 feet, preferably 6 feet between tables and ends, and at least 7 feet, preferably 8 feet between ends of tables and walls for seating.

If you provide me with the room size, width and length, where the doors are, where the restrooms are located, and the tables they plan to put in it, I'll be glad to give you advice as to the best setup. If they are actually building the room size to fit a certain number of tables in it, that's even easier - just make request a little more room they you think you need and you can't go wrong!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just post the dimensions of the room and I'll let you know how many tables you can comfortably squeeze in there, and how to best place them. And yes, you must allow enough room for a minimum of 2 spectator chairs per table, or more if there's often more people occupying the room than just the players who are playing. I assume the snooker tables are 5 x 10's?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go down to the art supply store and get as large a sheet of grid/graph paper as they have. Maybe glue four of them together. Lay out the new room with six inches per square. Get some green paper. Cut out tables to scale. Do your planning.

If there is commercial software for multi-table planning, it is likely to recommend four feet between tables.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, I used to used Excel spreadsheet in the same manner. Make each cell 6x6 square, and then cut and paste shapes to scale (chairs, sofas) and re-arranged.

Go down to the art supply store and get as large a sheet of grid/graph paper as they have. Maybe glue four of them together. Lay out the new room with six inches per square. Get some green paper. Cut out tables to scale. Do your planning.

If there is commercial software for multi-table planning, it is likely to recommend four feet between tables.

BuzzSwiss

Registered
I've been using
www.spacedesigner3d.com
for the pool hall we plan to open in the Philippines. It's not a free software but the cost is affordable.

It allows you to see in 3d your future premise, and is easy to play with.

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just post the dimensions of the room and I'll let you know how many tables you can comfortably squeeze in there, and how to best place them. And yes, you must allow enough room for a minimum of 2 spectator chairs per table, or more if there's often more people occupying the room than just the players who are playing. I assume the snooker tables are 5 x 10's?

Yes, they're 5x10's. Our problem is that all but one on the committee know nothing about billiards. About three weeks ago, they actually marked off an area in a local gym & had paper taped together in the dimensions of 4 regular & 2 snooker tables. I was invited, took a tape measure, & immediately showed them the room size would not accomodate them. Now they backed off to 2 snooker & 3 8 ft tables. The room is 31' x 52'. The room needs plenty of seating, as this is a senior center & many are sitting, especially the ones older than 70.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Yes, they're 5x10's. Our problem is that all but one on the committee know nothing about billiards. About three weeks ago, they actually marked off an area in a local gym & had paper taped together in the dimensions of 4 regular & 2 snooker tables. I was invited, took a tape measure, & immediately showed them the room size would not accomodate them. Now they backed off to 2 snooker & 3 8 ft tables. The room is 31' x 52'. The room needs plenty of seating, as this is a senior center & many are sitting, especially the ones older than 70.

Over 70 and I'm not sitting :D

I think 5' between tables is okay... unless more than 2 players are in wheelchairs :D:D

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a 31' x 52' room rectangle room, you should have more than enough room for two 10-foot snooker tables and three 8-foot pool tables. Trying to fit a fourth 8-foot table would be a little challenging, to still have plenty of room between the tables and ample seating. The two snookers would go end to end the across the length of the room. Of the three 8-footers, two would also go end to end just like the snooker tables, and the one in the middle would be turned the way. Basically, this is leaving you at least 7' between the tables and the side wall, 7'6" from the tables to the end walls, and 6'-7' between each table, with the exception of the two snooker tables which can have 10'-11' between them. This layout should give ample space for spectators other than players walking around and between the tables, to get to their chairs.