Advice on a New Tip?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Ok, I'm back to playing after a two year layoff and four eye surgeries. I can see better now than I ever have in my life. I played seven hours of pool today!

I'm looking for advice on a new tip. I've been using a Moori medium, so I may be looking for something similar, but I don't know what's good these days since I've been away from the game for two years. I'm open to suggestions.

Any advice/comments on specific tips is welcomed!

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I'm back to playing after a two year layoff and four eye surgeries. I can see better now than I ever have in my life. I played seven hours of pool today!

I'm looking for advice on a new tip. I've been using a Moori medium, so I may be looking for something similar, but I don't know what's good these days since I've been away from the game for two years. I'm open to suggestions.

I use to use the Moori mediums years ago. When I started playing again had to change them out, think they dry rotted. Tried a couple tips and settled on the Zan Hybrid Max. The hit feels and sounds great, I'm happy with it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly recommend Kamui Black Clear in a soft rating vs. medium.
Kamui already has a tendency to play a bit harder and I used Kamui
Black for many years. Then 7-8 yrs. ago Shooter08, who’s a lic’d
Kamui Dealer, helped me when I needed new tips. He suggested
using the Clear version but going down in hardness to soft from
having used Kamui Black medium. He was absolutely right on and
I bought replacement tips for my cues and had him ship tips to my
cue-makers as well. Tom is a great guy and has Wisconsin Billiard
Supply as his main forte. You might try contacting Shooter08 for advice.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Moori J(ewel) tips.

If you liked the mediums, youll like the 'J' tips.

https://www.seyberts.com/moori-jewel-tip

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G2 soft works for me they keep their shape.

I like G2 softs and had them on my cues, but the Ultra-skin black soft tips will play just as good, if not better, for 1/10 the cost.

I have them on all my cues now.

You can get 10 Ultra-skin tips for the price of one G2.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I used Moori MH....original for years....the new Mooris are not that quality.
....I like Snipers

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've tried and thoroughly evaluated a lot of tips. In my opinion the two tips that remind me the most of the older Moori medium are the G2 medium or possibly the Precision medium. The G2 plays more that way for a longer period of time. The Precision goes through a short phase where it is the greatest tip ever, but it evolves quickly, and that phase doesn't last too long. I'd start with one of these two. I believe that the G2 is made from a higher grade of leather. That would be my first choice.

KMRUNOUT

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the original mooris. Those days have come and gone.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You can try a TZAR Tip.

Layered Japanese pigskin. Same leather used as Kamui for a lot less money, and you get a FREE box of Magic Chalk (blue or green). Oh, and if you don't like the tip, we'll refund you the cost of the tip... you keep the chalk as our gift. We are that sure you'll like it. I don't know of any other tips makers that have a guarantee like that.

Many folks, including installers, tell me the tip cuts and plays like the old Moori's. I wish I could confirm it myself, but I never played with an old Moori.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used Moori mediums for a long time too- Now I have moved a notch back- Ultra skin soft tips works well for me - Muellers Recreation in Lincoln Nebraska will install them AND recondition your shaft for only $15- that is a bargain these days - cue repair guys I talk to want $40 to install them and recondition the shaft. You have the mailing costs with Muellers so it pays to send multiple shafts at one time.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try a medium Thoroughbred tip. They are 8 layers of dark brown pigskin. Holds chalk exceptionally well. $10 ea plus $3.50 shipping. http://thoroughbredtips.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190412-141951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190412-141951_Gallery.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a good Triangle and save your money and the hype.
I've tried a bunch of layered tips from $5.00 to $20.00 plus install.
I cant tell the difference between them.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a few days, you will have a complete list of all tips that are currently available. That will put you back where you started not having any idea which tip will play like your previous tip. These "what's the best tip" threads are always the same.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can try a TZAR Tip.

Layered Japanese pigskin. Same leather used as Kamui for a lot less money, and you get a FREE box of Magic Chalk (blue or green). Oh, and if you don't like the tip, we'll refund you the cost of the tip... you keep the chalk as our gift. We are that sure you'll like it. I don't know of any other tips makers that have a guarantee like that.

Many folks, including installers, tell me the tip cuts and plays like the old Moori's. I wish I could confirm it myself, but I never played with an old Moori.

Damn RJ, good looking out

Reactions: KRJ

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite tips that I've used (all in Medium for me)
S-Tier) Zan, Ultraskin
A-Tier) Kamui Brown/Black, Tiger Sniper
B-Tier) Triangle, LePro, Tiger Everest, Elkmaster

Worst tip I have ever used

-Navigator (came on McDermott iPro shaft)...what a piece of garbage. It has different cool colors of layered leather, but none of that can be seen with chalk on anyway. It was a pain to shape and it barely lasted. Just installed a LePro on it a few days ago by hand--much better.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the original mooris. Those days have come and gone.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

+1.. I was using TAD non-layered tips when those came along.. loved
'em, but like everything else, nothing stays the same. Once I couldn't
find OG Mooris, I went back to TAD mediums... even those are hit
and miss (pun intended):rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You can try a TZAR Tip.

All my playing shafts have almost pristine tips on them right now, RJ....
...soon as I need a new one, I’m going to get a Tzar.

May I suggest names for different qualities?
I would like a tip medium hard.....called Peter the Great
A soft one could be called Catherine II
Please save some tips for my opponents....called Ivan the Terrible
:)