Great Site with Pool Player Pictures

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was the personal website of the late great bar table player 'Surfer Rod'. Unfortunately although it is a nice collection of pics, many of them are snitched from other sites, as far as I know without any effort to get permission -- such as Mary Kenniston's Facebook albums & Bill Porter/Mike Haines great photos from the 80's. As a pool photographer myself, that kind of thing hurts a little. It's nice to see your photos appreciated, but even nicer to at least get some credit for creating a good photo. Unfortunately Rod didn't think that was necessary.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
Is this really Dick Lane?

Dick%20Lane.jpg

I saw him play in the mid 70's and my failing memory thinks he was a left hander.
Also, his back stroke quivered and smoothed out as his tip approached the cue ball.

Here is a picture of him eating and wearing glasses.

Image0019-s-L.jpg

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the personal website of the late great bar table player 'Surfer Rod'. Unfortunately although it is a nice collection of pics, many of them are snitched from other sites, as far as I know without any effort to get permission -- such as Mary Kenniston's Facebook albums & Bill Porter/Mike Haines great photos from the 80's. As a pool photographer myself, that kind of thing hurts a little. It's nice to see your photos appreciated, but even nicer to at least get some credit for creating a good photo. Unfortunately Rod didn't think that was necessary.

I know what you mean, I gave some pictures for use in a book some time back and they ended up copied on someone website. That is just the nature of the net.

Most of us are not going to or trying to make any money off our pictures we have. They really have no value but never showing them for fear someone is going to copy them seems meaningless anymore.

It is going to happen, that is just the way it is. I guess there is some kind of watermark you could put on to protect them or something but for the average person they don't care that much about that.

So my final opinion is,
For the average person you can leave them in a drawer and never show them to anyone. Or post them and let people enjoy them with the knowledge they will be copied if they are of interest.

To give you an idea what I am talking about, some years ago I had maybe a few thousand pictures from pool tournaments and around pool rooms I had traveled to. A lot of tournament flyers and posters going way back. Everything was lost in a hurricane when my warehouse was destroyed and I mean destroyed. Nothing was left, pieced of my roof were a 1/4 mile away forget about anything made of paper.

Nobody ever had the chance to see Dorothy Wise sleeping in a chair between matches or Luther Lassiter eating a chili dog at the counter at Weenie Beanies. They just exist in my mind now. Pictures are to be seen and enjoyed. I would be very interested in seeing your pictures if you feel inclined to post them.

Now that I am thinking about it, soon I will post everything I have left on here before I die, I am a bit old. I see all the time what happens to your stuff when you die, it all ends up at a garage sale or in a garbage can.

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick%20Lane.jpg

I saw him play in the mid 70's and my failing memory thinks he was a left hander.
Also, his back stroke quivered and smoothed out as his tip approached the cue ball.

Here is a picture of him eating and wearing glasses.

Image0019-s-L.jpg

Yes, that is Dick Lane. He played right-handed.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photo credit

Many of the photos on Rod's site are from the collection that can be accessed via the link in my signature. It is common for people to use photos from my site without giving photo credit, but I have to agree with macguy who would rather the photos be seen and enjoyed even if no credit is given.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
No offense to derail here.

Those burger boxes from McD's were great. Wish they still came in Styrofoam.