I was called a "CHEATING JERK"

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Offer v Invitation to make an offer

Most of us do not run a business or a retail store. I don't think we as sellers have an "obligation". We are simple pool players who enjoy the game. If someone listed something and later down the road decide its not for sale, I don't think they are obligated to sell.
You are right. I am not a lawyer but this is Business Law 101
Especially when it is not a regulated marketplace.
Simple offer and acceptance constitutes a contract
When you offer something for sale at a price, you are making an invitation to a make an offer, NOT making an offer. When potential buyer approach you , he is not accepting he is just making offer. So long as you do not accept his price there is no contract
Basic principle buyers always get wrong -Offer vs Invitation to make an offer (or invitation to a treat). If a shop is offering an iphone 7 at big discounted price only $20 and 1000 buyers offer to make offer to buy at $20 and shop does not have enough iphone it does not have to sell and is not obligated cos there is no contract

Of course you have an obligation.

Why do you think that you shouldn't be accountable?

Your actions are your responsibility.

That is nonsense. Go read Business Law 101
:)

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you should have honored the lower price, because it was you who forgot to remove/edit your ad.

Next best thing is to explain the mistake to the potential buyer, which you did.

(by the way, looks like he didn't even want to pay your lower price, he wanted to go even lower, so a sale wouldn't have taken place either way)

Banks

Banned
Maybe he needed the money when he dropped the price and raised it again when that had passed. Either way, id just as soon not do business with somebody that would fly off the handle because of a price change. Yes, it sounds like the potential buyer was looking to lowball anyways. Let em go buy it elsewhere. Maybe it was that dude in NY that flips out and he's going to threaten you with stupid posts, credit card rejections and an overinflated game. :eek:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would see if the buyer wants to pay $1299.

If he is willing to pay that price, I would sell it to him.

That would be the honest thing to do.

Is that true? Where does this knowledge come from?

My capability for original and abstract thought.

Before you even start, I get that you don't like me. I understand that you think I have been mean to people. I, admittedly, have told some people exactly what I think of them and have been pretty blunt about it...but you'll never find someone who will tell you that I have gone back on my word, have failed to live up to promises to the best of my ability.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm in retail and publish ads nearly every week. Best thing to do for a "sale" is clearly put a time limit on it. The marketplace, inventory and sales goals dictate my pricing. Any one of these can fluctuate. You can always extend the item at the same price, lower it, or raise it later. If you forget about it and it expires, like someone may have an old ad from my store, you're in much better standing.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless my family needed the money to live on , I would have sold it to him for the 1299.00 Otherwise I would have done as you did and explained what happened , then I would have offered it to him for 1399.
After all you are the one who forgot to change the ad.
That seems fair to both of you.

I'm in retail and publish ads nearly every week. Best thing to do for a "sale" is clearly put a time limit on it. The marketplace, inventory and sales goals dictate my pricing. Any one of these can fluctuate. You can always extend the item at the same price, lower it, or raise it later. If you forget about it and it expires, like someone may have an old ad from my store, you're in much better standing.

Well said.

bullshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You aren't obligated to sell to someone just because they show interest. If you had accepted his original offer and then raised it you would be in the wrong, but you didnt. Hypothetical situation. You list your cue for sale and someone you believe to be shady tells you they'll take it at list price. Are you obligated to go through with the transaction just because he said i'll take it?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
The guy did not actually offer you the $1299, he asked for a new price, you gave him one.

Had the guy offered the $1299 he might have a point, but he clearly did not want to buy it at the old listed price and tried to push you down further.

Sounds like there was never really any commitment on either side to me, I don't know how he whines about the price change, he did not even offer the listed price...

Prices are not locked in indefinately and if you want to try to lowball someone on price and haggle then they are certainly not guaranteed on any price at that point. When I sold a couple things at already low prices on Kijiji and people came in and tried to lowbsll me and rob me hoping I was hard up I normally told them to pound sand and at that point would not sell to them on principle even for my asking price. The asking price did nor include my time having to deal with a cheap goofball being a pain in my ass, that costs extra.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys who start out with 'what is your best lowest price' are, to me, window shoppers. If they get a low enough number from the seller, maybe they will agree to buy, maybe not. In any event, they have not put forth any offer themselves, not put anything on the table themselves.

That is not a two-way price negotiation.

If the alleged buyer wanted a low price, and especially if they had seen the $1299 price already, the 'buyer' should have stated what they would be willing to pay.

To do anything else means they are just window shopping.

Until a person makes a genuine offer, or agrees to a genuine offer, they have no true stake in any negotiation.

They are in no position to be calling names.

A couple of years ago, I had a neighbor agree to buy my old beater car for $1450.

He missed our agreed upon time to bring over the cash, then a day later calls me to try to get me to lower the price a couple of hundred bucks, saying I had to lower my price, else he could not buy the car.

So I simply told him that no renegotiation was possible. I said since we already had a deal in place, and he failed to keep up his end of the deal, that deal was off. I said I have decided the car is no longer for sale.

Boy did he squeal and holler, no no no he sez I wil pay the $1450 we agreed on, please please please sell me the car I really need it, I'll pay the full price we agreed on.

Nope, I said, no way, too late, you did not keep your end of the deal, so that deal is off. Now the car is no longer for sale.

So I got two more years good service out of the car, using it to transport the dogs to the vet, move manure from the farm store to the back forty, and stuff like that, then I eventually sold it to a different neighbor for almost what the first guy had agreed to.

The way I see it, without some cards on the table from both parties, there is no negotiation happening. If the alleged 'buyer' is crying foul he is spitting in his own wind.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
op did everything just fine. the guy didnt come and accept what he though was the price he opened a negotiation and that alone means the offered price isnt on the table.

but when you list a price you should honor it as long as conditions do not change.
for instance you post a price on a cue and find out you made a mistake and it was a much higher valued cue than you thought. surely you dont think a person now must sell to someone at that price.

or suppose cue prices went up 50 % over night. should all those with posted cues now have to honor their posted price. some may think so until they are selling the item.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys who start out with 'what is your best lowest price' are, to me, window shoppers. If they get a low enough number from the seller, maybe they will agree to buy, maybe not. In any event, they have not put forth any offer themselves, not put anything on the table themselves.

That is not a two-way price negotiation.

Eh? I don't see anything wrong with asking for a best price. Person A asks, Person B tells, Person A decides whether to pay it or not. Simple.

Honestly, I don't get the debate in this thread. It's up to the TS what they sell their goods for. If someone is willing to pay the asking price, then great. If not, then no big deal. It's not as if the asking price in an actual shop was incorrect - it's an old thread on a discussion forum. No need for name calling, IMO.

stick130

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Explain to him just like what I read. I don't see a problem. They're out no money, since he wanted to try to get it lower than your posted amount, that person wanted something for free I suppose

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello fellow AZers,

Please let me know if I am at fault here:

Awhile back, I posted a Mezz cue in the 'for sale' page on AZ. The cue did not sell for a long time. A couple weeks pass and I am in need of cash to pay for bills, so I decided to put the cue in a temporary fire sale. I lowered the price from 1499$ to 1299$.
Do we as sellers not have a right to ask whatever selling price we want?The buyer sent me a private message on an OLD thread. If later down the road I decide I don't want to sell the cue that low, do I really need to be called a "cheating SOB and a jerk"?

You have the right to sell at any price....I wouldn't trust you though.