Is Max Eberle as big as a goof as I now think?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I also wonder if it is an elaborate joke on Max's part as well. You would have to be pretty paranoid to really believe in these conspiracies. I don't know him personally at all so I can't tell

I've had a few conversations with him about the shape of the earth and other interesting topics, and I'd say he is sincere in believing these things.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's one for you guys to chew on - so I was speaking with MAX one night and I brought up something I had just heard about " holographic theory ". Not saying I buy that anymore than flat earth but it was interesting ( for the hour I read about it ) and seems to actually have some reputable people behind it and they are actually testing it using the scientific method.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Fortunately, Max has a lot of fun with this. And he is the one on Facebook regularly espousing his ideas on the subject, so he has indeed brought this on.

Again, he is very cordial in his debate on the subject, and from across cyber-space, seems like a very likeable person. Despite my belief that his theories on this subject are a bit.....off.

He has so much fun with it that I wonder often if he truly believes this, or if its an elaborate ruse on his part, to stir up "stuff". He certainly seems intelligent enough to pull such a thing off, tho he'd have to be very committed to the facade. You know, like countless hundreds of thousands of people would have to be to facilitate the grand NASA conspiracies about the moon landings.... :p

I agree that Max is affable....but here's a problem with the half-baked theories.
He feels the moon landing was a hoax....
...a 79 year-old Buzz Aldrin threw a punch at a 'hoax' nut for calling him a fake and a coward.
....now would Max, who seems like a great guy, tell an astronaut that he's a fraud?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that Max is affable....but here's a problem with the half-baked theories.
He feels the moon landing was a hoax....
...a 79 year-old Buzz Aldrin threw a punch at a 'hoax' nut for calling him a fake and a coward.
....now would Max, who seems like a great guy, tell an astronaut that he's a fraud?

On the interwebs he would, nothing else I promise you.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Look, all of you math and science guys had better stand down. Let me show you how scientific method works in the pool room. Fact, I have drawn my rock up to two and one half table lengths in distance. I assert that the earth is spherical. If any of you ne'er do wells wish to prove me wrong...well, you know where the cue ball is...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Look, all of you math and science guys had better stand down. Let me show you how scientific method works in the pool room. Fact, I have drawn my rock up to two and one half table lengths in distance. I assert that the earth is spherical. If any of you ne'er do wells wish to prove me wrong...well, you know where the cue ball is...

Scientific method?
...need location of cue-ball and object-ball
...condition of both balls
...type of cloth and how old
...relative humidity

I'm sure more info is needed, but I'm no scientist...:)

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is everyone quoting proof to a group that already believes in the earth being round.

I guess let's all just sit around and feel good about ourselves.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Last night, Max posted a pic of the moon through a telescope that someone had recently given him....this could become even more interesting :)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Why is everyone quoting proof to a group that already believes in the earth being round.

I guess let's all just sit around and feel good about ourselves.

Tony,

This has nothing to do with the statement "the Earth is round". It has to do with a group of individuals who believe the Earth is not a spheroid but flat like a pancake. Let us argue the same thing.

Lyn

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he'd have to be very committed to the facade. You know, like countless hundreds of thousands of people would have to be to facilitate the grand NASA conspiracies about the moon landings.... :p

Yes, to me, that's one of the most obvious problems with the crowd who believe that the moon landings were faked. One of my oldest friends (58 years and counting as of now) has a degree in theoretical astrophysics and was working for NASA in the late 1960s. He was involved with training the astronauts and working with them as they practiced in the simulators at NASA's facility near Houston. The idea that he lied to me about Armstrong's landing and all the others and that he has continued to lie to me with perfect consistency for 46 years despite being one of my closest friends is so preposterous as to not be worth debating.

By the way, I've met Neil Armstrong and got one of the very few autographs he gave after 1994 when he quit signing stuff. I think he signed the membership card I handed him because it had the autograph of Wernher von Braun on it. I had met von Braun in the late 1950s. Those who believe that the earth is flat and covered by some sort of dome will enjoy hearing that on von Braun's gravestone there is the following inscription from Psalms 19:1: "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament (vault or dome) sheweth his handywork."

No one is going to change Max's views on this. A friend of mine who used to work on GPS stuff and did orbital calculations talked to Max a few weeks ago without success.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yes, to me, that's one of the most obvious problems with the crowd who believe that the moon landings were faked. One of my oldest friends (58 years and counting as of now) has a degree in theoretical astrophysics and was working for NASA in the late 1960s. He was involved with training the astronauts and working with them as they practiced in the simulators at NASA's facility near Houston. The idea that he lied to me about Armstrong's landing and all the others and that he has continued to lie to me with perfect consistency for 46 years despite being one of my closest friends is so preposterous as to not be worth debating.

By the way, I've met Neil Armstrong and got one of the very few autographs he gave after 1994 when he quit signing stuff. I think he signed the membership card I handed him because it had the autograph of Werner von Braun on it. I had met von Braun in the late 1950s.

No one is going to change Max's views on this. A friend of mine who used to work on GPS stuff and did orbital calculations talked to Max a few weeks ago without success.

A world-wide, global conspiracy, involving tens of thousands (if not more) people, from different hostile countries, who would like nothing better than to discredit each other....and somehow they've kept all these deep dark plots a secret for all this time.

The Illuminati, The FreeMasons and NASA. Oh my....

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Actually, one of the ways that the curvature of the Earth was noticed is by the appearance of approaching ships gradually rising out of the sea.

It was actually Eratosthenes in 240 BC that discovered the earth was a sphere with two sticks and their shadows.

But my arithmetic is different from yours. For a distance of 16 miles I get a distance below the local horizon of 338 feet, so the effect is larger than you estimate. At a distance of 5 miles, the apparent drop is 33 feet. Unless my arithmetic is off as well.

I'm not a scientist so I'm sure your math is better than mine but I was going off ~8" per mile curvature. Regardless, from a distance of the photo I posted, you wouldn't be able to notice a curvature of 338'.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
A world-wide, PANCAKE ENCOMASSING conspiracy, involving tens of thousands (if not more) people, from different hostile countries, who would like nothing better than to discredit each other....and somehow they've kept all these deep dark plots a secret for all this time.

The Illuminati, The FreeMasons and NASA. Oh my....

Fixed your post for you.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Max, and other pool players, fly to many overseas destinations.

All you've got to do is look out the window at 37,000 feet (while flying over the ocean on a clear day) and you can see the curvature of the earth.

Oh yeah, I forgot. The people who make the airplane windows are in on the conspiracy. My bad.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... All you've got to do is look out the window at 37,000 feet (while flying over the ocean on a clear day) and you can see the curvature of the earth.

Oh yeah, I forgot. The people who make the airplane windows are in on the conspiracy. My bad.
Of course. Haven't you noticed the funny oval shape they use in airplanes? Also, they use double panes to get extra curvature in the image.

The problem with thinking like that is that you might apply the same sort of "logic" to things that really make a difference.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was actually Eratosthenes in 240 BC that discovered the earth was a sphere with two sticks and their shadows. ...
I was not there to watch the experiment, but the traditional story is that he noticed that the Sun was directly overhead during the summer solstice in Syene (now Aswan, Egypt, the bottom of a vertical well was lit up) while in Alexandria it was 1/50th of a circle off vertical. Alexandria was a known distance north of Syene. Simple geometry and a few assumptions give the diameter of the Earth to an accuracy of about 0.16%.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes
Here's the picture:

CropperCapture[33].png

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

I'd say it's hopeless.
I have a theory that these guys are angling for a free ride in one of the new private spacecraft. To be proven wrong. Saving lots of $$$$!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Simple geometry and a few assumptions give the diameter of the Earth to an accuracy of about 0.16%.
On the other hand, ;)

If you assume that the Earth is flat and the rays from the Sun are not nearly parallel (the distant Sun hypothesis), Eratosthenes gets a distance to the Sun equal to the radius of the Earth. And the Sun and Moon have to be the same distance and close to the same size. And the Sun and Moon need to be thin so they don't bump into each other during solar eclipses.

One of the many situations where this line of insanity falls apart is when you go above the Arctic Circle and notice the Sun touching the horizon due South in the direction of LA, and the people in LA are not being fried. And Lunar eclipses are tricky to describe.

Related to which is the "Turtles All the Way Down" story. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down for some amusement. Here is the earliest form known of the story:

In the form of "rocks all the way down", the story predates James to at least 1838, when it was printed in an unsigned anecdote about a schoolboy and an old woman living in the woods:​

"The world, marm," said I, anxious to display my acquired knowledge, "is not exactly round, but resembles in shape a flattened orange; and it turns on its axis once in twenty-four hours."
"Well, I don't know anything about its axes," replied she, "but I know it don't turn round, for if it did we'd be all tumbled off; and as to its being round, any one can see it's a square piece of ground, standing on a rock!"
"Standing on a rock! but upon what does that stand?"
"Why, on another, to be sure!"
"But what supports the last?"
"Lud! child, how stupid you are! There's rocks all the way down!"