Do the American pool players give back?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I am, who I say, I am. See post #144 http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=385848&page=10

Yes. I do read, study, analyze and retain information.
Thank you for the compliments on my new found knowledge of Cue Sports.

I latched on to the Coat Tails of PoolKillers because they are the best of the best.
Even today people discuss whether it was real or a masterful Troll.

I try to mix helpful information with some humor.
I like biting the hand that feeds me.

Let's get together and play some pool sometime.
Cleary will be there.
I'll show you how I invented the Ram Shot.

mchnhed
NoHo

I'm not saying you are PoolKillers, but you have brought up his posts out of the blue a whole bunch. Like a LOT. Kind of like what PoolKillers might do if he was a troll and was on here with a new screen name. You have also referenced the possibility that you are PoolKillers a whole bunch, as if that would be incredulous. Like a LOT. Kind of the way that somebody might do if they were PoolKillers and back on a different name and thinking that bringing him up would throw off the scent because people would have to think there is no way that PoolKillers under a new name would bring up PoolKillers because that would just be too brazen to be possible, yet a troll would think it was hilarious.

You also have claimed in a whole bunch of posts that you are a brand new "noob" pool player (although you spell it differently), yet you give tons and tons of advice on here and it is clear that you have far more knowledge than any brand new noob would ever have. Something sure doesn't add up and I don't think you've been completely honest about who you are even if it isn't PoolKillers.

Here is what you will find out through your investigation.......

62 year old
Male
Married 32 years
No children
Lives in NoHo in LA LA Land
Born in beautiful downtown Burbank
Retired - Forced
Began playing pool one year ago, after 50 years off from playing at the Boys Club at age 11.
Level .25 or "N" pool player
Has only one user name on AbZ
He is PoolKillers cousin
He co-wrote with PoolKillers, the World Famous Book that revived Pool Rooms in the 90's...
"A Beginners Guide to Playing 8 Ball"

http://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs/...to_8_ball_pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454714
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...ght=PoolKiller

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never engange a sicilian, when gameth of detth are on the line.
I am, who I say, I am. See post #144 http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=385848&page=10

Yes. I do read, study, analyze and retain information.
Thank you for the compliments on my new found knowledge of Cue Sports.

I latched on to the Coat Tails of PoolKillers because they are the best of the best.
Even today people discuss whether it was real or a masterful Troll.

I try to mix helpful information with some humor.
I like biting the hand that feeds me.

Let's get together and play some pool sometime.
Cleary will be there.
I'll show you how I invented the Ram Shot.

mchnhed
NoHo

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few of them are obviously afforded a relatively nice lifestyle because of the tournaments and action here in the us. And I know pretty much all of us are happy to have them and see their play.

Do you feel like they give back to the country that gives to them however?

Curious what people have to say either way.

JoeyA

American pool players,,,,no. Everybody knows that.

Some other countries,,,probably not. The Phillipines - I'm guessing a few do since the game is kinda built into their culture. Efren I'm sure. But most players are gamblers and since when have gamblers ever given back.

I think the question is wrong however. Players are not obliged to give back to the COUNTRY, but I can see them giving back to the sport in some form or another,,,teaching etc.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The Phillipines - The game is kinda built into their culture.
Kung Sabihin?

and it's not part of America's culture?
Billiard Sports is just more appreciated in PI, Europe, Asia then in the US.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAlouie:
The Phillipines - The game is kinda built into their culture.

mchnhed Posted:
Kung Sabihin?
and it's not part of America's culture?
Billiard Sports is just more appreciated in PI, Europe, Asia then in the US.

Speak english. And no, but pool is maybe reviled in American culture
I think you meant to say.......
Pool is vilified in America and
could you please translate that last comment for us?

It says.... "Say What?"

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be the stupidest post ever! How do you define "give back to the country that provided them?"

I don't know of a single player that is living in Malibu Hills. I mean this is so stupid. Out of all sports and I do mean all sports,there isn't a single player that makes over 200k a year playing pool. And if that player does it isn't for a second year.

Can you imagine tiger woods or Michael Jordan smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer while performing there profession.

The problem with pool is the players and the environment they play in.

It's like asking a homeless guy to contribute you the YMCA!

Joey.... till now I have respected your posts. But, 100k in Arkansas and New York is so far off that obviously you don't understand financials.

Obaasaid a rich person makes 250k. WTF? What country does that undereducated moron live in?

Wake up people!

If you are not making 500k a year you are poor! Period! End of topic!

Live with it or change it.

Should a pool player making (at the top level) give 10% of his 100k earnings away? F$ck to the NO!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Your post is now leading candidate

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice to see the pro's that have a knack for teaching pool work with amateurs.

It doesn't have to be free, just a more affordable reasonable amount.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I agree with this. However, teaching pool requires a lot more than talent at playing pool. Some pros have talent and can teach but lack the confidence of being able to teach well.

Just yesterday, I had a conversation with a super-talented pro and asked why he didn't give pool lessons. He replied that he does give pool lessons but sometimes giving the pool lessons, gives him a headache. Lol. We both agreed that giving good pool lessons can be taxing at times.

My theory is pro players should give pool lessons FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT, not just the philanthropic aspect..

JoeyA

It would be nice to see the pro's that have a knack for teaching pool work with amateurs.

It doesn't have to be free, just a more affordable reasonable amount.

I agree with this. However, teaching pool requires a lot more than talent at playing pool. Some pros have talent and can teach but lack the confidence of being able to teach well.

Just yesterday, I had a conversation with a super-talented pro and asked why he didn't give pool lessons. He replied that he does give pool lessons but sometimes giving the pool lessons, gives him a headache. Lol. We both agreed that giving good pool lessons can be taxing at times.

My theory is pro players should give pool lessons FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT, not just the philanthropic aspect..

JoeyA

They give lessons each and every time they play. You can look up matches on YouTube for free. This is the first generation that has access to these lessons. How about spectators, sponsors and such putting more money up so the players can make decent amounts of money to be in a position to give back? Just saying. It costs $500 a day for a family of 4 to go to Disneyland or $500 to see a top name artist perform. What was your last spectator entry fee? The only thing that will elevate the sport to the point in which "giving back" is a topic is if the players are capable of making money that supports such.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cant seriously think watching a person play and having direct instruction are equivalent, from a learning perspective.

They give lessons each and every time they play. You can look up matches on YouTube for free. This is the first generation that has access to these lessons. How about spectators, sponsors and such putting more money up so the players can make decent amounts of money to be in a position to give back? Just saying. It costs $500 a day for a family of 4 to go to Disneyland or $500 to see a top name artist perform. What was your last spectator entry fee? The only thing that will elevate the sport to the point in which "giving back" is a topic is if the players are capable of making money that supports such.

What would be cool is if there was an annual tournament where pros and amateurs played together. The pros pay no entry fee and cannot win. They are merely there to match up with the amateurs and be part of the elimination process. Pros would be there in a less serious environment. They can sign autographs and give pointers as they play. Now I think that would be fun and probably better than any lesson they could give. I would sign up for that (as an amateur of course). This would require a very special format but it could be done.