Matlock vs Keith

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definition of "buzzer."

It is a buzzer that is hooked up to a table. When someone pushes a button, then the table reacts differently. Every time Dave breaks the balls, 3 and 4 balls went in. The side balls would fly in every game. Every time Keith breaks the balls, there was a thud. Keith said he broke the balls so hard one time, with all his might, and none of the balls hit a rail. They barely moved. He said it was the damnedest thing he ever saw. :D

By the way, the set took 20 hours for David to win the money, which Keith believes was about 26 dimes with all the side action included. :smile:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I woke up today, and the first thing I read was David Matlock versus Keith McCready. Whoever that guy is continuing to drag my name in posts with David must be a pretty good friend of David's, but he doesn't know all the facts or have all the facts.

Just for your information, first of all, I have all the respect for David. I would never say anything to hurt his feelings or rag on his game -- in other words, take it in the mud.

For you to say I couldn't beat David and never did beat David is absurd. The last time me and David played, it was a 10-ahead set in Richmond, Kentucky, at The Maverick Club. We played a 10-ahead set. It lasted about 50 minutes to an hour, me winning.

Second of all, David's 4-1/2-by-9 play was not nearly as strong as his bar table play. For you to say that I couldn't beat him playing 9-ball on a big table or 10-ball or one-pocket, I just wish that you would have been there when I had some real money and was playing all the time. I would have put you back on your back porch, right where you belong, reading a book.

The time that I did play David in Texas was in Dallas. I was getting staked by Weldon Rogers and Will Willingham. We didn't pick the location. It was in a guy's house with a buzzer. Every time David broke the balls, 3 and 4 balls would fly in, and every time I broke them, I wouldn't make a ball. There was something funny going on. Come to find out later, Sonny Spring, the guy's house that we played at, told me all about the buzzer. I played him after that, was chomping at the bit to play on neutral equipment, and I finally got my chance and I dusted him off. And then we played one more time after that, and that was at The Maverick Club.

There's nothing wrong with being friends with somebody, and I get it. I guess just like the way Bobby is with me, but Bobby knows what time of day it is. He witnessed a lot of my beatings on a lot of people. They shipped bar table players in from all over, and I shipped them, out one by one, busted and broke. I was giving everybody back then the 7-ball and the 8-ball. With the big cueball, they wouldn't play me. They had to go to the little cueball on the bar tables to even have a chance.

Back in the '70s, there was a Mexican by the name of Canella, who everybody said was the best bar table player in Mexico. I never really got to see how good he was because he never shot. I beat him two sets so fast, 10-aheads, that it would make you swim. He didn't ask me for weight because he didn't want to lose getting weight. Pride, I guess.

I was playing Morro Paez, giving him the 7 on a 4-by-8 with a big cueball, Ernesto Dominguez the 7-ball. This was all on a bar table with a big cueball, and they had to switch the big cueball to the little cueball. There used to be a bar called Nutty Nero's. That's where everybody would come after hours and play for days. They all checked up short. Kim Davenport, I was giving him the 7-ball on a big table. I would win some, lose some. We had some pretty good battles ourselves. None of these players would ever play me even.

I sort of wish that we could go back in time, but we can't. I'm 57 now, just about, not in combat like I used to be. But if you think in your right mind that I was afraid of David playing on any table, you're crazy. I've seen this Clint guy rambling on, on this website, trying to belittle me or put me down, and I don't know why.

I won't post any more about this. I consider David my friend, not my enemy. I hope David is doing well, and I know he is.

Just as an FYI, the three toughest players I ever played on a bar table were Boston Joey and Vernon Elliott and David Matlock -- in that order. ;)

Keith,
No need for you to respond, your reputation speaks for itself. We all know you are one of the best barbox players ever. :thumbup2:
Take Care,
Ray

PS - Really miss seeing you in the pit at SBE

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Definition of "buzzer."

It is a buzzer that is hooked up to a table. When someone pushes a button, then the table reacts differently. Every time Dave breaks the balls, 3 and 4 balls went in. The side balls would fly in every game. Every time Keith breaks the balls, there was a thud. Keith said he broke the balls so hard one time, with all his might, and none of the balls hit a rail. They barely moved. He said it was the damnedest thing he ever saw. :D

By the way, the set took 20 hours for David to win the money, which Keith believes was about 26 dimes with all the side action included. :smile:

Thanks Jenny!

Anyone know how one would work to do that?

Would it maybe be a case of slowing down the magnetic cue ball or something? But if they used the big rock then there would not be any metal in the ball.

Thanks for the upload was great to see Keith and Dave playing.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jenny!

Anyone know how one would work to do that?

Would it maybe be a case of slowing down the magnetic cue ball or something? But if they used the big rock then there would not be any metal in the ball.

Thanks for the upload was great to see Keith and Dave playing.

Keith said that years later, Sonny Springer told him the gaffe table with the buzzer was delivered to his house. It was Sonny Springer's house where the match took place.

Truth be told, I thought they were talking about a buzzer on a back door that one needed to know the password to get in. :eek:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
In 1987 he won the Steve Gumphry Memorial, in 88 he won the Paul Huebler Cup, and he won the Ohio open and Georgia open. I remember it well since it was me he beat in the finals. In 89 he won many tournaments on the Baxter tour with many top players playing in them. I think he was already ranked in the top 10 in 1989 or 90. So, yes his best pool was in the 90's but he had already won many tournaments before the 90's was my point.

Billy I know you have a great memory , but Country Calvin won the 1987 Steve Gumphry Memorial, double dipping Brian Atchley in the final, the tournament with the Photo of the players, as a matter of fact Calvin won the first two they had , with pretty much the same players in both of them,

Johnny A did win it , but was later on.

David Harcrow

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy I know you have a great memory , but Country Calvin won the 1987 Steve Gumphry Memorial, double dipping Brian Atchley in the final, the tournament with the Photo of the players, as a matter of fact Calvin won the first two they had , with pretty much the same players in both of them,

David Harcrow

Here's the great photo that Hemicudas sent to me. It has the names of all the players. :smile:

Attachments

• steve_gumphries_memorial_tourney.jpg
    steve_gumphries_memorial_tourney.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 454

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Well, I managed to convert and upload the first of two VOB files from the DVD of the "Magnolia Classic" which was held at the Lakeview Complex in Hattiesburg. The video is shakey, and YouTube gave me a prompt while I was uploading tell me the video was shakey and asking me if I want YouTube to fix it, so I said yes. :embarrassed2:

I'm not sure how long it is going to take to finish being processed. The upload is finished. I keep checking back, and it says "The Video is Being Processed." Sheesh!

I wonder if it will look a wee bit better than the DVD did. Remember that this was shot from the rail, and it is not a professionally produced video, but it beats a blank. :smile:

Whenever it gets finished "processing," here is the link ---> Matlock v. McCready in Magnolia Classic.

This is the first time I've ever done this, upload a video on YouTube. I'm kind of excited to see it. :grin-square:

I love the beginning of the InsidePOOL article, which lays the foundation for this event:

The South has always been one of the best locales for ppol competition, and so often I would burn up the roads between New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama, looking for a little action. Word came to me about a big shootout deep in the heart of Mississippi, and as always, I was eager to discover what the buzz was all about. Pool players from around the country swarmed into the City of Hattiesburg like honeybees to compete in the first annual Magnolia Classic.

Upon entering the Lakeside Complex, I was welcomed by the fragrant scent of Louisiana boiled seafood, Southern-style Po' Boys, and hickory-smoked delicacies. Folks clustered around to enjoy the good old Southern hospitality, and soon the player roster grew to 118 strong, consisting of the toughest 9-ball contenders at the time....

Okay, so that sets the mood for the match. :grin-square:

OMG, I just checked it while writing this post, and I can hear it, but there's no video. :frown:

Maybe it will magically appear soon. :embarrassed2:

When I sent you that video, you said that Keith would sign something and send it to me. I'm still waiting...

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I sent you that video, you said that Keith would sign something and send it to me. I'm still waiting...

I am so glad you mentioned that, because that is exactly what I thought this morning when I opened the box in my den. Sometimes my work gets in the way of me following through. I'm usually pretty good at remembering, but sleep deprivation and old age raises its ugly head every now and then. :sorry:

For sure, I'm going to mail that to you this week. I still have the original box with your return address. If you are at a different address, please PM me your new address. Thanks again, Woof Biscuit. Without you, nobody would have been able to see this tournament. :)

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Jam, that sure was a great photo, a few names are wrong though, like the guy standing besides Danny Cook on the top row is Floyd Trice from Little Rock, and the guy listed as Tommy Kennedy on the bottom row is Jimmy Sanders from Shreveport, all other names seem to be right.

I remember that day of the photo, it was just before the players auction and we were waiting on Brian Atchley to get there from his room, but went ahead and took the photo without him.

David Harcrow

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam, that sure was a great photo, a few names are wrong though, like the guy standing besides Danny Cook on the top row is Floyd Trice from Little Rock, and the guy listed as Tommy Kennedy on the bottom row is Jimmy Sanders from Shreveport, all other names seem to be right.

I remember that day of the photo, it was just before the players auction and we were waiting on Brian Atchley to get there from his room, but went ahead and took the photo without him.

David Harcrow

How interesting! You know, the guy in the back row, Wayne Collins, used to hail from my neck of the woods. He was strong player of all games. :)

Actually, Steve Gumphry was from my area too. He went out Midwest, fell in love, and we never heard from him again.

His brother passed away from the same cancer as Steve years later. :(

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I am so glad you mentioned that, because that is exactly what I thought this morning when I opened the box in my den. Sometimes my work gets in the way of me following through. I'm usually pretty good at remembering, but sleep deprivation and old age raises its ugly head every now and then. :sorry:

For sure, I'm going to mail that to you this week. I still have the original box with your return address. If you are at a different address, please PM me your new address. Thanks again, Woof Biscuit. Without you, nobody would have been able to see this tournament. :)

Address is the same. No worries. Just thought I would remind you. When I first started playing at 14, a friend of mine's Dad had that video. I didn't know who Keith or Dave was, but I knew I wanted to play like that. I must have watched that video 100 times.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Address is the same. No worries. Just thought I would remind you. When I first started playing at 14, a friend of mine's Dad had that video. I didn't know who Keith or Dave was, but I knew I wanted to play like that. I must have watched that video 100 times.

Woof, I just noticed your last name. Are you related to one of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Champions?

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny A did win it , but was later on.

David Harcrow

I was going by the Dec/Jan 1989 issue of Make it On the Snap magazine write up on Johnny, which listed at 18 Johnny won the 1987 Steve Gumphry Memorial, at 19 he won the Paul Huebler Cup, In 1989 he won the Georgia open and the Ohio open . Its on page 9. Its the issue with Johnny's picture on the cover. I do remember espn being at the Georgia open as it was Johnny's 21st birthday, (I think) when I played him in the finals. They may be wrong though, I wasn't at the Gumphrys tourney in 87. I was at the one, I think 88, where Calvin finally got away from that lunatic stakehorse I use to have named Bob. Ask Calvin about that nut. He's the one that ran off with the 30,000 score me and Earl made. remember?

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I managed to convert and upload the first of two VOB files from the DVD of the "Magnolia Classic" which was held at the Lakeview Complex in Hattiesburg. The video is shakey, and YouTube gave me a prompt while I was uploading tell me the video was shakey and asking me if I want YouTube to fix it, so I said yes. :embarrassed2:

I'm not sure how long it is going to take to finish being processed. The upload is finished. I keep checking back, and it says "The Video is Being Processed." Sheesh!

I wonder if it will look a wee bit better than the DVD did. Remember that this was shot from the rail, and it is not a professionally produced video, but it beats a blank. :smile:

Whenever it gets finished "processing," here is the link ---> Matlock v. McCready in Magnolia Classic.

This is the first time I've ever done this, upload a video on YouTube. I'm kind of excited to see it. :grin-square:

I love the beginning of the InsidePOOL article, which lays the foundation for this event:

The South has always been one of the best locales for ppol competition, and so often I would burn up the roads between New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama, looking for a little action. Word came to me about a big shootout deep in the heart of Mississippi, and as always, I was eager to discover what the buzz was all about. Pool players from around the country swarmed into the City of Hattiesburg like honeybees to compete in the first annual Magnolia Classic.

Upon entering the Lakeside Complex, I was welcomed by the fragrant scent of Louisiana boiled seafood, Southern-style Po' Boys, and hickory-smoked delicacies. Folks clustered around to enjoy the good old Southern hospitality, and soon the player roster grew to 118 strong, consisting of the toughest 9-ball contenders at the time....

Okay, so that sets the mood for the match. :grin-square:

OMG, I just checked it while writing this post, and I can hear it, but there's no video. :frown:

Maybe it will magically appear soon. :embarrassed2:

Was this the tournament right after the Steve Gumphrey Memorial that Matlock won, Tom Spencer came in second and Keith came in third? Magnolia Classic sep 20-24 1989?

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I was going by the Dec/Jan 1989 issue of Make it On the Snap magazine write up on Johnny, which listed at 18 Johnny won the 1987 Steve Gumphry Memorial, at 19 he won the Paul Huebler Cup, In 1989 he won the Georgia open and the Ohio open . Its on page 9. Its the issue with Johnny's picture on the cover. I do remember espn being at the Georgia open as it was Johnny's 21st birthday, (I think) when I played him in the finals. They may be wrong though, I wasn't at the Gumphrys tourney in 87. I was at the one, I think 88, where Calvin finally got away from that lunatic stakehorse I use to have named Bob. Ask Calvin about that nut. He's the one that ran off with the 30,000 score me and Earl made. remember?

Well they got it wrong as Johnny winning the 87 Memorial, but he did win the 88 tournament I think, I do remember something about the crazy stakehorse running off with yours and Earl 's score,, man I sure do miss Earl Kellum!, I'll ask Calvin to give me some details about the stakehorse.

David

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
How interesting! You know, the guy in the back row, Wayne Collins, used to hail from my neck of the woods. He was strong player of all games. :)

Actually, Steve Gumphry was from my area too. He went out Midwest, fell in love, and we never heard from him again.

His brother passed away from the same cancer as Steve years later. :(

I really didn't know Wayne Collins, just saw him play a few times.

but me , Calvin & Steve were great friends, we had roomed together over in Longview, Tx. for about six months onetime, actually I had been seeing ( Peggy ) off and on some before she and Steve fell in love, he took her away from me, I guess I didn't shoot the same stick as Steve!.......hehe:smile:

I'm sorry to hear about Steve's brother, I saw him at a few tournament's with Steve long before we became friends in the late 70's, that's sad.

David

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I met Joe Lawrence was at the Glass City Open in, I think, 2004. He was there with the Canadian contingency of pool players, all strong players. Joe was feeling no pain, shall I say. :p

In this photo, he's wearing Keith's Orioles shirt. I can't remember why he wanted to borrow a shirt.

We all went to the horse track on the off hours. I hit an extacta my first bet for about six C-notes. Everybody else lost. I had to avoid multiple bites all the way back to the hotel. :D

Me and Joe Lawrence depicted below. :smile:

If I remember right, Joe could not only name every song that came on the radio, he could tell you how long the song was to the second. If anyone has a contact number for Joe I would really like to chat with him a bit, its been over 20 years.