Saw a new ferrule install technique today...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
well sort of LOL. A buddy that is also a regular customer called me today and told me the ferrule on his break cue cracked,so I go pick it up.

This is an oddball Wal-Mart cue,with an actual plastic ferrule instead of aluminum that you see on the ones with a screw-on tip. It also has a stainless 3/8-10 pin,with a brass insert in the shaft.

I was able to work a utility knife into the crack,and the ferrule came apart clean with almost identically shaped breaks on both sides.

What surprised me is the tenon was live-threaded at the factory level,and the threaded part measured .308 dia and .500 long.

The bottom half of the tenon miked at .325,but had no outside threads of it's own.

Here's the part I found interesting. Inside the broken ferrule there is a bored section at the bottom,which has 4 full threads tapped into it,probably done with a 3/8-16 bottoming tap.

There was enough glue in the ferrule that these tapped threads created their own threads on the tenon itself.

Of course,these threads will disappear when I clean the tenon up,and hopefully I never see them again ;). Tommy D.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Might as well turn that thing down to 5/16 18.
Leave the bottom 3/16 unthreaded.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The first half of the ferrule was threaded 5/16-18,the bottom was unthreaded and .325 dia.

I wound up cleaning up the tenon and made a custom ferrule. Tommy D.