14.1 Rack Outline

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to re-draw the rack outline on my Diamond Pro-Am table. I know from previous discussions there is nothing in the rules defining what a "regulation" rack for 14.1 should be (much to my dismay). But I've noticed recently in many of the professional 14.1 tournaments the rack outline on the tables have been that of the wooden Diamond rack.

Maybe it's just me, but that rack seems too big, especially on the foot end, to define what balls are in or out of the rack. I'm leaning towards a wooden rack that is about 1/4" in diameter, with rounded corners, and limited clearance inside once the balls are racked as my pattern rack.

I thought I'd start this thread to get some opinions from 14.1 players as to their preferences prior to the actual draw. I'd welcome any comments or recommendations.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to re-draw the rack outline on my Diamond Pro-Am table. I know from previous discussions there is nothing in the rules defining what a "regulation" rack for 14.1 should be (much to my dismay). But I've noticed recently in many of the professional 14.1 tournaments the rack outline on the tables have been that of the wooden Diamond rack.

Maybe it's just me, but that rack seems too big, especially on the foot end, to define what balls are in or out of the rack. I'm leaning towards a wooden rack that is about 1/4" in diameter, with rounded corners, and limited clearance inside once the balls are racked as my pattern rack.

I thought I'd start this thread to get some opinions from 14.1 players as to their preferences prior to the actual draw. I'd welcome any comments or recommendations.

You are not alone in your observation of the problem of using the Diamond wooden rack.

I think the shape of the Delta-13 is good and it's the most accurate rack available.

I suppose the WPA regulations should specify a shape for the outline for those situations where a traditional rack is not used.

If you make a thick line, such as with a sharpie, there is some ambiguity in the rules about which side of the line to use to determine in/out. I think you should judge by the rack-side edge of the line. It is the edge that is fixed as the line gets wider due to a thick marker. But it's better to use a thin marker, such as this tailor's pencil:

CropperCapture[469].png

This will give a very fine line. The downside is that you will have to renew the line as it wears off fairly quickly.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I would trace the outline of the rack that you like best or use on your table. Regardless of how large or small the rack is it will still have to clear the edge of any possible obstructing break ball(s) when reracking for a new rack of 14 balls.

Kevin

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Make the lines with the tailors marker as suggested, and make the lines using the rack you will be using.

i too find the Diamond Rack way too big. and too prefer the Delta Rack for the perfect rack in my opinion, but that too have spots that stick out too much(that being the circles in the rack at each corner. and i think both versions of their racks are of the same design.

Steve

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Logistically you need to draw the outline around the rack you plan to be using when you are playing 14.1. You make a valid point when stating that a thicker walled rack like a diamond will result in balls being on the line that might sometimes might be outside the line with a thinner walled rack, but how are you going to manage to rack the balls without marking that remaining ball and then replacing it - kind of a pain and not real accurate in my opinion.

If you really want to minimize the size of the outline of the rack, you could find a rack that fits perfectly tight when placed down on the balls, and draw your line around the inside edge of that rack. Then you could use a racking template such as an accu-rack to rack the balls. Problem then is you won’t easily be able to remove the template from the cloth until all balls are cleared off of that template.

Perhaps one day someone will come up with a specialty rack just to be used for straight pool, with very thin but strong walls all the way around including around the three points.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make the lines with the tailors marker as suggested, and make the lines using the rack you will be using.

i too find the Diamond Rack way too big. and too prefer the Delta Rack....
Steve

I have both. Used the Delta to draw lines, but prefer to rack with the Diamond (quieter and gathers/tightens easier, though only really true in one direction). If the last ball is too close, then I use the Delta. The oversized Diamond will restrict behind-the-rack break balls especially, though I reiterate my previous stand re: close racking/interference in general: Better to break from the headspot, since being pissy about not disturbing a ball too close to actually make is rather pointless (IMHO).

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I have both. Used the Delta to draw lines, but prefer to rack with the Diamond (quieter and gathers/tightens easier, though only really true in one direction). If the last ball is too close, then I use the Delta. The oversized Diamond will restrict behind-the-rack break balls especially, though I reiterate my previous stand re: close racking/interference in general: Better to break from the headspot, since being pissy about not disturbing a ball too close to actually make is rather pointless (IMHO).

Well if you are in a competitive match. the rack type you start the game with is the same rack you must use during the whole match.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you are in a competitive match. the rack type you start the game with is the same rack you must use during the whole match.

‘Start the game” would equal “Draw the lines”. If the last ball isn’t at all close to the rack area, I don’t think anyone would care what triangle is used until it is.
I know D.H. disagrees, but I still think the lines should only be a guide, since the traditional rules merely specified ‘interference’, when using whatever rack was originally agreed to.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
wooden' it be better

Looks like their are a few people who have stock in delta metal rack, that rack is ok if your goal is to let your neighbors down the street hear you racking (heavy metal noise) better to just stick' with a thin traditional wooden rack. I use a chalk pencil to display the rack line. On a different note do not let any fake news organization take away of Willie Mosconi's true record of 526. We need a rack line for fake news (fact checker). Adios

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I particularly like the white diamonds for centering the rack on the ball spotting line.

Picture link:

Video link:

If the outline is drawn, I think you need to use that. With no outline the mark at the center of the side of the rack is a good idea that Diamond has had on their rack for a while.

I wonder how accurate the 60-degree angles are on the magnetic snap-together rack. Are there guide pins or some other mechanism to ensure that it is exactly the same each time?

poondogger

Registered
#2 pencil

Just had my 9' Diamond professional marked by the guy that installed it. He used a #2 pencil and it turned out great. Rack outline, line from foot spot to foot rail, and a head spot.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...the mark at the center of the side of the rack is a good idea that Diamond has had on their rack for a while.

The wooden ones have a saw kerf for that purpose and the new plastic ones have a Diamond logo that is designed to do the same thing.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF you can! :rolleyes:

JS run of 626 may cause serious side effects including:

chest pain or pressure,
pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder,
nausea,
sweating,
vision changes,
sudden vision loss,
an erection that is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours,
severe shortness of breath,
cough with foamy mucus,
ringing in your ears,
sudden hearing loss,
irregular heartbeat,
swelling in your hands, ankles or feet,
seizure (convulsions), and
lightheadedness

Get medical help right away, your hard on has lasted way over 4 hours.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
listen to this music

I heard John Schmidt broke Willie's record by 100 balls.

626 is what I saw.

and 30% of the run has to be shown in double speed - in order to b dodgy' and avoid the full proof computer graph fact checker, u should probly stick to what u heard - I robbed him on a tight diamond in a race to 400 - 255 un edited footage :). Meditate on it. U might want to watch that match the mid to later portion of that match in double speed - there is no funny business on that TAR video. As far as showing 30% of the so called 'record breaking run' run in double speed or edited footage - i think it was Truman that said " If you can't convince them confuse them" I hear u joined this forum in order to look for a $ game - I would be happy to spot u a ball in any pocket billiard discipline of yer choice.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
listen to this music

I heard John Schmidt broke Willie's record by 100 balls.

626 is what I saw.

and 30% of the run has to be shown in double speed - in order to avoid the fullproof computer graph fact checker - what a joke, u should probly stick to what u heard - I robbed him on a tight diamond 400 - 255 un edited footage:). Meditate on it. When viewing the middle to latter portion of this particular TAR match between he and i - u might want to play it in double speed as well. I hear u joined this forum to match up - I would be happy to spot u a ball in any pocket billiard discipline u choose. Would u care to play me a friendly set? U can bring yer own - I will end up keeping mine :)

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear u joined this forum in order to look for a $ game - I would be happy to spot u a ball in any pocket billiard discipline of yer choice.

I hear u joined this forum to match up - I would be happy to spot u a ball in any pocket billiard discipline u choose. Would u care to play me a friendly set? U can bring yer own - I will end up keeping mine :)

You "heard" I joined the forum to find a money game?

Are you serious or are you just barking in two separate posts?

Must be barking because it is totally false.

Carry on.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Logistically you need to draw the outline around the rack you plan to be using when you are playing 14.1. You make a valid point when stating that a thicker walled rack like a diamond will result in balls being on the line that might sometimes might be outside the line with a thinner walled rack, but how are you going to manage to rack the balls without marking that remaining ball and then replacing it - kind of a pain and not real accurate in my opinion.

If you really want to minimize the size of the outline of the rack, you could find a rack that fits perfectly tight when placed down on the balls, and draw your line around the inside edge of that rack. Then you could use a racking template such as an accu-rack to rack the balls. Problem then is you won’t easily be able to remove the template from the cloth until all balls are cleared off of that template.

Perhaps one day someone will come up with a specialty rack just to be used for straight pool, with very thin but strong walls all the way around including around the three points.

Whichever rack is used to draw the line - the line should be drawn around the OUTSIDE edges of the rack.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Ok

You "heard" I joined the forum to find a money game?

Are you serious or are you just barking in two separate posts?

Must be barking because it is totally false.

Carry on.

I had you confused with another facebook poster, we will leave it b about the chopped footage 626. But I did notice you not wanting to address the 30% of run ONLY being shown in double speed - but yet u know what u saw?