Pool tip collapsing in important tournament

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Some of you guys have been wondering why some choose to keep a spare shaft. This is why. During an international tournament, my trusty LePro suddenly collapsed on one side. This tip has been flawless for two years, and I honestly thought it would last for 2 more. I had a draw stroke and miscued for no apparent reason. My stroke was perfect and smooth, the chalk was correctly applied, but the tip just gave way and the whole side of it went to jello!:angry:

I have a second, identical shaft for this cue, but due to logistical difficulties, it had to stay home. I lost all confidence in the tip and tried to center ball my way through the match, but it didn't work and I lost badly. To be fair, the whole tip felt unstable, even hitting center ball. First time it's ever happened to me, and it will damned well be the last, as I'm NEVER going abroad without a second shaft again! Oh, and there was a timer on the match as well, in case some might think there was time to fix it.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must have been frustrating beyond words :frown:

Just out of curiosity, are you going to replace it with another lepro or go with a different tip?

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is one of the reason I only use consistent laminated tips. I was a big fan of Triangle tips back then, but whenever I miscue the tip kinda collapse on one side and they do not shape as easily as layered tip.

Of course if you pick a laminated tips that are not consistent or bad quality, the layers might delaminate.

Always carry a second shaft (even all the extra tools or accessories), one shaft is fine for practice (case's lighter), you never know when you will need it.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
A couple of years ago in my first match of national championships I played a regular spin shot at hill-hill 6-6 and my tip fell off. I also carry a spare shaft with a decent tip on it. So I swapped shafts, scuffed the tip and managed to clear the table for a win. I was lucky not to foul with the flying loose tip hitting the balls :p:grin-square:
So I agree 100%, always carry a spare shaft. If you don't have one, get one immediately. And make sure the spare one is in playable condition.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago in my first match of national championships I played a regular spin shot at hill-hill 6-6 and my tip fell off. I also carry a spare shaft with a decent tip on it. So I swapped shafts, scuffed the tip and managed to clear the table for a win. I was lucky not to foul with the flying loose tip hitting the balls :p:grin-square:
So I agree 100%, always carry a spare shaft. If you don't have one, get one immediately. And make sure the spare one is in playable condition.

If the flying tip hit one of the balls and fouled, I doubt your opponent would be able to runout (I'd laugh).

Yes, and play with the spare shaft occasionally it will do you real good use when ur tip fells off.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you guys have been wondering why some choose to keep a spare shaft. This is why. During an international tournament, my trusty LePro suddenly collapsed on one side. This tip has been flawless for two years, and I honestly thought it would last for 2 more. I had a draw stroke and miscued for no apparent reason. My stroke was perfect and smooth, the chalk was correctly applied, but the tip just gave way and the whole side of it went to jello!:angry:

I have a second, identical shaft for this cue, but due to logistical difficulties, it had to stay home. I lost all confidence in the tip and tried to center ball my way through the match, but it didn't work and I lost badly. To be fair, the whole tip felt unstable, even hitting center ball. First time it's ever happened to me, and it will damned well be the last, as I'm NEVER going abroad without a second shaft again! Oh, and there was a timer on the match as well, in case some might think there was time to fix it.
Sorry to be bluntly honest, but hard to feel much sympathy for any serious tournament player that would travel to an event with only one usable shaft for their cue, due to incidents much like happened to you. How much bigger a cue case do you really need to fit 2 ready to use shafts in as opposed to 1 shaft? I assume this will be a valuable lesson for you going forward.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You had a LePro last TWO years?? I used to use them and if i got 6mos out of one i felt good. I was playing a lot then but they just don't last like a good layered.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
You had a LePro last TWO years?? I used to use them and if i got 6mos out of one i felt good. I was playing a lot then but they just don't last like a good layered.

Can’t believe a tournament player would use a tip for two years.

I usually change my tip every 2-3months. Every month if I practice everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadCase

Banned
The old triangles were great.

Now I build my own tips from the bottom side of SHARK SKIN and they last a year easily. They don’t need scuffing or shaping. Best tips I’ve ever had. I’ve sold about 150 of them and haven’t had a single complaint. Heck for $7 they’re a great deal. They play firm and spin the heck out of the ball and miscue less.

Single layer tips are fine IMO but quality over the last decade has plummeted. Maybe that’s why Kamui and companies can market these layered tips for $15-30 a piece.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The next advancement in pool shafts will be a solid carbon fiber shaft that does not need a tip or chalk.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
The next advancement in pool shafts will be a solid carbon fiber shaft that does not need a tip or chalk.

That’ll appeal to most players but I’m sure there are still players like me that likes traditional shafts with a tip and chalking before every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk