Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page do it yourself tip replacement
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-18-2012, 01:37 AM

Its not brain surgery Thommy. It is pretty hard to do the ferrule without some help.

Other than that, anyone can do a tip with a utility knife, sandpaper and glue.

The various tip tools offered just make your job a little easier, thats about it.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#17)
riedmich
.. dogs' friend ..
riedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond reputeriedmich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-18-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortuarymike-nv View Post
doing your own tips.

9 times out of 10 its going to take you forever to get the tip flush with your ferrule and then you scratch the ferrule and chalk gets into the scraches and it looks like crap.
if you plan on doing you own tips get a lathe .
there is more to cue maintance than replacing the tip still need to clean and reseal the shafts plus replace a ferrule.
i have never seen any tip replaced by hand that compairs to what a lathe will do.
MMike
I disagree. It is very well possible to instal a tip with absolute perfect quality like with a lathe, but it is rather difficult and you have to work absolutely accurate. Like jwalko1 said, I personally do it in a very similar way, and I've perfected it to be 100 % as good as the best lathe installed tip. I don't want to boast ot trying to get work - i have enough. But I want to share my knowledge.

Flatening the ferrule and tip perfectly I know is the most important thing to have a durable and ever lasting glueing. For this reason I flaten the ferrule with a file (fine rasp) in the common way how you use a file. But with that usual technique you will not be able to have a perfect flat surface, it will always become some kind of a radius. The final surface I do with a drawblade, the file (but only by turning the ferrule on the file, it's the most difficult step because you must have power in your grip and feeling as well) and at the end sandpaper 80 grid. The final control i do with a straightedge.

Glueing I do with cyanacrylate gel and fixing the tip with a long clamp.

Shaping is pretty simple by using a very sharp oneside-flat knive. But here you also have to be very careful and have a defined and reliable technique. And first of all you musn't be in a hurry.

It took me nearly 1 year with several failures to be on that level now. This is why I clearly do not advise someone to use that technique. And by the way, it takes round about half an hour to instal a tip in my method, so this is nothing to earn big money with. And more than 4 tips a day I don't make because it is pretty straining.

If you don't have the habit like me to experience how far you can be perfect without special machinery and if you want to have a perfectly installed tip: Go to a proffesional that does perfect with a lathe.

Old
  (#18)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
Its not brain surgery Thommy. It is pretty hard to do the ferrule without some help.

Other than that, anyone can do a tip with a utility knife, sandpaper and glue.

The various tip tools offered just make your job a little easier, thats about it.
having recently gone through and experienced this myself, i would say this:

IMO changing a tip on a lathe is the BEST way to do it right and accurate, all things considered.
However, to me knowing how to do it by hand/getting practice is like being a huge "Car enthusiest, and never having changed your own spark plugs or oil!

no harm in having tools to help, but very important to know the best practiced steps. I say take it on! Learn, grow, and when you can support your local cuesmith great! do so, or even buy your own lathe and take on that role yourself!

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Old
  (#19)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
If you can find a pin that fits your shaft you can put the pin into a electric drill. Using the drill as part of a lathe. Secure the drill to a board that is longer than your shaft. Put the shaft into the drill and make a V block at the height required. Line the block with leather and a strap to wrap over the top. after gluing your tip on you can trim it using fixture you make using a razor, you can also shape it with the razor.

This is a start. When you get the drill in place you can be creative and add what ever you feel will help. Looking around a hardware store, Harbor Freight or etc you can find a lot of things cheap that you can adapt to make a lathe good enough to replace a tip, dress, clean a shaft and etc.

Even seen someone use the rubber end of a cain attached to a bolt inserted into a chuck to use as a way to secure the shaft in the drill.

You might want to try this method:

Buy (2) Ace hardware super glue gel. You can use the cap on one of those tubes to fit into your shaft hole: First put a phillips screwdriver bit in your drill and schmoosh it into the plastic cap and put the cap into your shaft hole. Some caps need a little knife trimming to fit the shaft hole exactly, but that's a piece of cake.

That loose fit allows your shaft to spin but it won't get out of control as it slips if too much pressure, etc. is applied to the shaft. It works for uni-locks as well as regular screw holes.

The Ace glue dispenses very well, doesn't dry up, and is as good as any glue I've found so far.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#20)
TheThaiger
Banned
TheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I must be an idiot (I know, people on here have been saying that for years). I have this tool for years and years and can't remember ever even looking for the part that cleans and prepares tops of cue ferrules for new cue tips.

Freddie <~~~ rightfully accused

PS. Here's how Mueller's describes it:

"The Big Shaver is one of the most versatile tools available on the market today. This hand-held tool will trim, shape and burnish your tip from start to finish. Adjusts to any thickness of tip with a control button for trimming. Shaves side of tip even with ferrule, but will not cut ferrule. Shapes to a perfect nickel radius. The file-hard steel blade allows you hundreds of trimmings before the blade needs to be resharpened. 3" x 3" x 1 1/2". Extra blade included.
"

Note that there's no mentioning of cleaning or preparing the top for new tips
I'm not fussed about this tool generally - certainly not enough to splash out 80 on it, but it does have one extremely useful feature. There's a hole for you to put the ferrule into, and you just spin the shaft between your hands, as if starting a fire, and the abrasive stuff in the hole takes the tip remnant and glue off the ferrule a treat. It's really very good.

Getting a perfectly flat ferrule is the hardest thing to do IMO. Everything else is easy.

Old
  (#21)
Goose1972
Banned
Goose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 10:10 AM

thanks for all the suggestions I actually have done it in the past as stated, and did a decent job with a white diamond break tip for my break cue, which stayed on for over a year.

was rather laborious and was just wondering if there have been any recent technological adnaces in this area. as a friend has 4 house cues, and I have extra tips. my own cues are brought to a pro. just dont feel right paying 15 bucks to put a cheap tip on a cheap stick. may do it for fun, or suggest frined buys new sticks.

Old
  (#22)
PaulGonzales
AzB Bronze Member
PaulGonzales is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to PaulGonzales  
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

What do you guys think about this tip replacement kit?

http://www.seyberts.com/products/Del...t-984-277.html

Playing cue: Samsara Design D03 Limited Cue
Break cue: Samsara JB_01
Jump cue: Samsara JB_01
Case: Predator Blak 3x5 Vinyl

"If this is my destiny You will never see me fall"

Old
  (#23)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1972 View Post
thanks for all the suggestions I actually have done it in the past as stated, and did a decent job with a white diamond break tip for my break cue, which stayed on for over a year.

was rather laborious and was just wondering if there have been any recent technological adnaces in this area. as a friend has 4 house cues, and I have extra tips. my own cues are brought to a pro. just dont feel right paying 15 bucks to put a cheap tip on a cheap stick. may do it for fun, or suggest frined buys new sticks.
same boat im in. but numers are a little different. im doing 80+ and on number 25 right now! by hand. Its too long to post, but if your interested ill email you my own (developed in majority from several threads/posts from AZB, personal experience, and youtube!) step by step with tools materials used. let me know!

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Old
  (#24)
Goose1972
Banned
Goose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond reputeGoose1972 has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPocket View Post
same boat im in. but numers are a little different. im doing 80+ and on number 25 right now! by hand. Its too long to post, but if your interested ill email you my own (developed in majority from several threads/posts from AZB, personal experience, and youtube!) step by step with tools materials used. let me know!

how long it take you to get to 25?

Old
  (#25)
zombie93
AzB Bronze Member
zombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond reputezombie93 has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

It takes a itof time and care, but its easy to replace a tip with a bit of practice. First and foremost a lathe is absolutely the best thing for put a new tip on. BUT...if you take the time, the results between a lathe and by hand can be exact. The best tool I have found for getting excellent results as far as shaping, sanding, and putting your final radius is a hand nail file. I use that to flatten the ferrule, sand to the right diameter, and shape.

Old
  (#26)
incognito
AzB Silver Member
incognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2012, 11:00 AM

It only costs a few bucks to get someone who knows what they're doing to replace your tip.

I gave up on the DIY approach years ago after having several tips fall of on me in competition.

"I get lucky" Efren Reyes.

Old
  (#27)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member

04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
how long it take you to get to 25?
I've done about 12 at a time... first batch took me about 4 hours. 2nd was a little less..

I'm sure others do this A LOT faster then me... but I'm not in a rush, I want them to turn out the best I can, so I spend some time on them. I also do them as a batch in steps, vrs one at a time.

Last edited by PickPocket; 04-18-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Old
  (#28)
xiao.wend
AzB Bronze Member
xiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond repute

07-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Is it okay to use epoxy 5minutes glue for tip replacement ? Thanks

lathe
Old
  (#29)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

lathe - 07-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riedmich View Post
I disagree. It is very well possible to instal a tip with absolute perfect quality like with a lathe, but it is rather difficult and you have to work absolutely accurate. Like jwalko1 said, I personally do it in a very similar way, and I've perfected it to be 100 % as good as the best lathe installed tip. I don't want to boast ot trying to get work - i have enough. But I want to share my knowledge.

Flatening the ferrule and tip perfectly I know is the most important thing to have a durable and ever lasting glueing. For this reason I flaten the ferrule with a file (fine rasp) in the common way how you use a file. But with that usual technique you will not be able to have a perfect flat surface, it will always become some kind of a radius. The final surface I do with a drawblade, the file (but only by turning the ferrule on the file, it's the most difficult step because you must have power in your grip and feeling as well) and at the end sandpaper 80 grid. The final control i do with a straightedge.

Glueing I do with cyanacrylate gel and fixing the tip with a long clamp.

Shaping is pretty simple by using a very sharp oneside-flat knive. But here you also have to be very careful and have a defined and reliable technique. And first of all you musn't be in a hurry.

It took me nearly 1 year with several failures to be on that level now. This is why I clearly do not advise someone to use that technique. And by the way, it takes round about half an hour to instal a tip in my method, so this is nothing to earn big money with. And more than 4 tips a day I don't make because it is pretty straining.

If you don't have the habit like me to experience how far you can be perfect without special machinery and if you want to have a perfectly installed tip: Go to a proffesional that does perfect with a lathe.
I put a couple tips on by hand with one of those tweeten tip kits .
then I bought a cue lathe .
I have no regrets buying my lathe.
I worked field service mechanic for over 25 years. They dont leave you in a field service truck is you cannot improvise....
I have made alot of tools in the field to get the job done. but its alot easyer to have the right tool to start off with.

one thing that everyone preaches is keep it simple.
a cue lathe does it all and its simple and easy.
MMike

MMike

Old
  (#30)
risky biz
Banned
risky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond reputerisky biz has a reputation beyond repute

07-18-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
what are the best tools and glue to use for at home do it yourself tip replacecment

have done a few with really cheap plastic tip changer sets, which were hit or miss, and extremely messy.

is there something good for cleaning and prepping ferrule. and glueing attaching and holding tip?

have used gorilla epoxy in the past, which works great, wondering if theres a quiceker setting alternative.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: