How many of you play multiple cues?

PoppaSaun

Banned
I have about five cues that I switch between. They are 17-20oz, have different tips, ferrules, diameters. Mostly wrapless, but one has a wrap. Doesn't really matter, I just grab whichever one I feel like and play.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2.

I have 2 Pat Diveney cues that I use and I shoot the same with either. I have 3 Diveney Lake Salvage shafts that fit either butt.

If I go to a bar tournament I use the Diveney cocobolo Bar Hustler as I have less money in it then I do the Diveney Custom Ebony Hustler with some small ivory inlays.

I like having 2 near identical length and weight cue butts with near identical interchangeable shafts. It always gives me a back up if needed.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just paired down my entire collection to two cues!!! One player (Hagan) and one breaker/loaner (Mali). I keep an OB shaft for snooker and that's it. All fits into my 2x4, but I also have a 1x1 if I'm traveling light.

If you shoot LD, you definitely should carry a breaker. If not, you can get by with one cue. I still like playing of the wall occasionally. I don't carry a jump cue, makes things too easy ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I just paired down my entire collection to two cues!!! One player (Hagan) and one breaker/loaner (Mali). I keep an OB shaft for snooker and that's it. All fits into my 2x4, but I also have a 1x1 if I'm traveling light.

If you shoot LD, you definitely should carry a breaker. If not, you can get by with one cue. I still like playing of the wall occasionally. I don't carry a jump cue, makes things too easy ;)

Well, that should wrap it up....
...the results of the Gallup pole are in.

I spelled that AZ right?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Monday, I played using both Jerry R. Cues.

Tuesday, I played using both my Owen cues.

Yesterday, I played with my Scruggs & Prewitt cues.

And today........I won't decide until I open my cue case.

It's fun and really enjoyable and the variety is essentially in
designs since 4 of the 6 cues have "identical specifications"
in every aspect and the other 2 cues are very close in spec with
the aforementioned other 4 cues (6-8 grams difference) these
2 cues for all intent and purpose almost match the other 4 cues.

So absolutely.....switching cues is enjoyable, at least for me but
like I previously posted, I believe most players would fare much
better if they stuck to just one playing cue and used a break cue.

Matt B

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I have dozens of Customs and generally play with 5-6 of them, depending on
the game and surroundings (Old Huebler for Bar Pool).
Jerry R. for Pool Hall League, (2) Larry Vigus or (2) Alex Brick for Straight Pool,
and a Szamboti with Custom 10mm Ash Shaft for Snooker. All Cues are 60" .
Also have a few Custom Carom Cues, but I rarely play 3-Cushion.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had 6, all each had thier own uses

Had to let em all go, and just have my one player and one guest/house cue

I'm ready to settle down on my player , feels refreshing to have and just worry about a single cue

One cue to play them all
"Refreshing" is exactly the right word for it. It's nice not to have to pick and choose, you just grab your case and go. No worries about neglecting your other babies.

Besides, unloading all my other non-essential cues gave me cash to spend on guitars, lol!

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have dozens of Customs and generally play with 5-6 of them, depending on
the game and surroundings (Old Huebler for Bar Pool).
Jerry R. for Pool Hall League, (2) Larry Vigus or (2) Alex Brick for Straight Pool,
and a Szamboti with Custom 10mm Ash Shaft for Snooker. All Cues are 60" .
Also have a few Custom Carom Cues, but I rarely play 3-Cushion.

60" Szam? Sounds delicious

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing with different cues breaks the boredom. Sometimes I shoot with a different cue every week in league. I just like cues and like to own them. Once I learn what a cue will do it is forever programmed into my brain and I never forget what it will do. Give me 15 minutes with any cue and I will know what that cue will do.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing with different cues breaks the boredom. Sometimes I shoot with a different cue every week in league. I just like cues and like to own them. Once I learn what a cue will do it is forever programmed into my brain and I never forget what it will do. Give me 15 minutes with any cue and I will know what that cue will do.
You must be super human then.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Yes, but not at the same time

I think there should be flexibility with this subject and allow the player to choose his weapon at will. So many different conditions are found when you are in travel league or on the road.

I try to keep 3 available when on travel league as we have high humidity around here, so be prepared.

For travel league I have a 21oz. Big K with a milk did tip. This cue will work in most humid conditions, dirty balls and such. Not much feedback, not counting the vibration. Sometimes I'll wear gloves on both hands.
When we play at this location with better tables and so-on, I will use my 18oz. Halex. This old campaigner belonged to my old college roommate. Some of the veneers are peeling up, but can easily be glued back down. I like this cue for long rail shots or close in finesse shots as well. I will keep this cue until I go to the nursing home.
When we are at our home bar I prefer to use a Varsity cue that I traded for an old JW cue I got from an uncle who claimed to be a pro. This Varsity is pretty plain looking. Not sure the age, but it truly plays amazing at home bar. Not to brag, but I have won a few "beer" bets after league.

Lastly when traveling I will use a cheap plastic felt lined case, but it has a good lining. This will only hold one stick and a few pieces of chalk and some tips. I drilled out the shaft and threaded it for this as conditions out there are way different. This stick is very well balanced depending on the tip. Not sure who makes it, but it Dasher because it has a "-R".

I don't think anyone should be judged for having more than one stick in their lineup !

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'm not judging ppl for having multiple cues, just seems it would be tough playing different cues since they play different.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i think there should be flexibility with this subject and allow the player to choose his weapon at will. So many different conditions are found when you are in travel league or on the road.

I try to keep 3 available when on travel league as we have high humidity around here, so be prepared.

For travel league i have a 21oz. Big k with a milk did tip. This cue will work in most humid conditions, dirty balls and such. Not much feedback, not counting the vibration. Sometimes i'll wear gloves on both hands.
When we play at this location with better tables and so-on, i will use my 18oz. Hale. This old campaigner belonged to my old college roommate. Some of the veneers are peeling up, but can easily be glued back down. I like this cue for long rail shots or close in finesse shots as well. I will keep this cue until i go to the nursing home.
When we are at our home bar i prefer to use a varsity cue that i traded for an old jw cue i got from an uncle who claimed to be a pro. This varsity is pretty plain looking. Not sure the age, but it truly plays amazing at home bar. Not to brag, but i have won a few "beer" bets after league.

Lastly when traveling i will use a cheap plastic felt lined case, but it has a good lining. This will only hold one stick and a few pieces of chalk and some tips. I drilled out the shaft and threaded it for this as conditions out there are way different. This stick is very well balanced depending on the tip. Not sure who makes it, but it dasher because it has a "-r".

I don't think anyone should be judged for having more than one stick in their lineup !
IMG_0149.JPG

--------------

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap tap tap

L O L ...... too funny!!!!!

PT.... you are one of a kind... but you remind me of SMORGIE....

Where on Earth do you find all the great matching pics??

Td

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a spectator at a Pro tournament in 1992 at the Pheasant Run Resort west of Chicago. There was a player who would put six cues together for his matches.

When he checked the rack, his head was about a foot above the rack, and he would bob up an down a few times.

During his games, after each shot, he would look at the table, then look upwards with his hands up like he was asking the pool gods to guide him to the correct cue for that shot.

As I was watching one of his matches, Steve Mizerak stopped by, watched for a minute or two, and muttered something about the guy being a lunatic and walked away. I thought to myself, "he's right "and left to watch someone else.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never understood playing w several cues. They act different w different deflection, feel, etc.

It would seem that to play your best game a player should only use one cue. Commit to it and learn it and know it.

I got a friend who plays everywhere w a sneaky pete but any league or tourney he gets in he pulls out his most expensive cue. He doesn't play the sneaky pete because he's trying to hustle.

I know they play different.

I own two cues, one sits in it's case. Every once in a great while I'll pull it out just to feel the difference and that's about the it. I got my second cue I don't play on a v sweet deal.

I thought of selling it but now I just figure for the money I'd get out of it, I'll just keep it. It's like new.
I'm a relative newcomer...not an advanced player but I'm working on it by playing a lot and am working hard to get better every day. I love the game and take is seriously. I have a firmer cue (Pechauer) and a softer-playing cue (McDermott) and they're both better than I am, but they play a little differently and feel a little different in my hand so I sometimes play both, going back and forth. I honestly can't decide which I prefer. That's my weakness perhaps, but eventually I will just pick one and use it. For now I enjoy the qualities of each and am not sure going back and forth actually hurts my game. I'll probably buy another one for my upcoming birthday. It's all about enjoying the game and having fun. I'm not trying to take anybody else's money so perhaps my perspective isn't the same as a more serious player.