Old
  (#61)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Terry, sorry to hear about your incident! If you go with a gun, a shotgun is the only way to go. I'm sure you remember how your adrenaline and breathing were during the incident. You don't want to have to rely on careful aiming in this kind of situation. You can start out with bird shot or even a non-lethal rubber buckshot and progress to buckshot or slugs. I don't necessarily want to shoot through my walls into my neighbor's house, if I can help it.

One thing you might want to pick up for situations that might be scary is wasp and hornet spray. The beauty here is that it will shoot over twenty feet away and most brands are very accurate. It doesn't cloud up the whole area like pepper gas or bear spray, which usually bothers the person using the spray, as well. The other great thing about W&H spray is that the spray is a petroleum distillate that can't be washed out of eyes with water or milk like pepper spray and tear gas. You have to go to an emergency room to take care of it, which makes it easy to find the person you just sprayed.
It is also a never toxin.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#62)
chevybob20
AzB Silver Member
chevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

03-18-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Somethings to consider.
I know, we all talk about our guns and what we'd do etc...etc...etc...

I think very few people understand the nightmare that would ensue after you shoot anyone, killing them....legally or not.

Let's set aside some of our machismo for a sec and think about this, because even if you were justified in shooting whomever....it could still ruin the rest of your life emotionally and financially.
A few years ago, a co-worker that was working nights with me hears a knock on the front door around 10am after getting home from work. He was just getting to deep sleep so it took a while to respond. Plus, he's a very large (6'4" power lifter guy) so he doesn't move fast. He knew his wife was at work so he grabbed his gun (.380 I think).

As he's opening his bedroom door, he hears his front door get kicked in in a very loud crash. He proceeds to the living room and gets the drop on the Democrats. They took one look at the giant standing in his skivvies pointing a gun and the both of them took off running. He follows them out side.

The thugs got about 2 doors down, turned around and started heading back toward him. He yells at them to stop pointing his weapon. About then, some bimbo driving by starts yelling at the two perps to run away from the evil man with the gun. I really wish I could have been creative enough to make that up but it's the truth. She just kept yelling. He was standing in the road and started to worry that she might try to run him over.

That's when he realized why they were coming back. In their haste to flee from the beast, they forgot that they left their car in his driveway. He wanted the confrontation over so he backs out of the way to let them have their car.

When the cops arrived, the first question the asked was, "Why aren't we investigating a self defense shooting?" They were pissed that he didn't shoot them.

By the way, He lived in an long row of condo's. The cops think they picked his home because he didn't have a storm door. The perps could get a long run directly at the door unimpeded by the storm door. The door and frame and all was laying in his living room floor.

I think he did the right thing. He is a soft hearted guy. This would have weighed on him. My choice of protection is a shot gun even though I have a Glock 23 in the night stand.

For the record, I would have shot.

Old
  (#63)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

03-18-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
I am well aware. I researched the KSG thoroughly before I got one.

There are two main issues here:

1) Yahoos and their accessories.

2) Yahoos and their handling of the weapon.

One of the things we frequently see is aftermarket rail mounted accessories all over the rails on these weapons. When I see somebody with a weapon all dressed up like that, I know he's a yahoo, think he's Rambo, and I don't want to be anywhere near him when he's handling a weapon.

A quote from the article you posted:

Key word: mishandled

If the shit hits the fan and we are living in the apocalypse, and I only had time to grab one of my weapons on my way out the door as I bugged out...it would be the KSG, no question.

If you get one, don't shoot your hand off. It's really bad form.

They have one at Impact Guns and when I showed the guys working there the photos of what some idiots did playing Rambo, one guy's response was "Holly crap! Never thought about how one's hand could slip off the pump handle and away it goes!". He followed it up by "I bet they only do it once."

Tell me..... do you have to reset the trigger between reloads or is it like a Winchester Model 12 or 1897 and will fire as soon as the action is locked?

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 03-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Old
  (#64)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Here in Memphis virtually every home and apartment has one of these. It is called a steel security door. It costs a couple hundred depending on how fancy you want to go and I can assure you not even a police SWAT team is going to get through one. Home Depot and Lowes sells them. They come with a steel frame that fits over the existing frame and open outward. It is not just a steel deadbolt at the lock, there are also steel bars that extend into the frame when you lock them. I have three of them.

Don't believe everything you think.

“These alarmists always demand the same thing: Absolute power to dominate, transform, and control every aspect of our lives,”

Old
  (#65)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStick View Post
Here in Memphis virtually every home and apartment has one of these. It is called a steel security door. It costs a couple hundred depending on how fancy you want to go and I can assure you not even a police SWAT team is going to get through one. Home Depot and Lowes sells them. They come with a steel frame that fits over the existing frame and open outward. It is not just a steel deadbolt at the lock, there are also steel bars that extend into the frame when you lock them. I have three of them.

My front storm door is a full view security glass door with 3 point dead bolts. Was about $400 and worth it. Only thing is I need an intercom because you cannot carry on a conversation with someone through it without opening it. But you can open the inside door or even leave the inside door open and no worries about someone breaking through its impact resistant glass. https://www.stormdoors.com/doors/400...-safety-glass/
Attached Images

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 03-18-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Old
  (#66)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Wow. I have never seen one of those. That would be really handy in Florida. I am going to look at them seriously when I move back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
My front storm door is a full view security glass door with 3 point dead bolts. Was about $400 and worth it. Only thing is I need an intercom because you cannot carry on a conversation with someone through it without opening it. But you can open the inside door or even leave the inside door open and no worries about someone breaking through its impact resistant glass. https://www.stormdoors.com/doors/400...-safety-glass/

Don't believe everything you think.

“These alarmists always demand the same thing: Absolute power to dominate, transform, and control every aspect of our lives,”

Old
  (#67)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....

03-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Wow. I have never seen one of those. That would be really handy in Florida. I am going to look at them seriously when I move back.
Just make sure you consider an intercom... seriously, you can't converse through it.

Old
  (#68)
Hunter
The King of Memes
Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000
Location: Arizona: Land of a Half Million Illegal Immigrants and a "dry heat"...

03-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
It's also more likely to end in a lawsuit than if you shoot the SOB with a bullet. Wasn't meant for people or warm blooded creatures like Bear Spray.. thus using it on someone could end with a lifetime debilitating injury like blindness, lung infections, or something like cancer as well as a lifetime payments from to the perp. Never PLAN to use something for self defense that was NOT designed or intended for self defense unless you want your ass sued off by a living breathing perp.

Now if a person is in the gargae and gets attacked and the only thing nearby to ward off the attacker was wasp spray, then by all means use it.... but that was not pre-meditated.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know how some people end up on the wrong side of the lawsuit. Why loss prevention agents for most companies are not allowed to tackle a fleeing perp to recover stolen items ... lawsuits for injury.
That is a good followup post. Don't PLAN to use it. Just have a can round in case wasps are present.

"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you"...

Old
  (#69)
Sir Scratchalot
AzB Silver Member
Sir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
So, last night, Wed, I get home from Pool League. I don't drink a lot when out, so brought home a small pizza and was going to have a couple of beer and play on the computer.

I have a Mora Bush Knife, made with Carbon Steel. I had given it a hot vinegar bath once, and was going to do another last night. The vinegar puts a nice black Patina on the carbon, and will help it resist rust a bit better.

I'm standing in the kitchen, and all of a sudden, Crash, Bang, Boom. my back storm door gets ripped open. It has a cheap lock on it, but, still it is difficult to open when you are on the outside trying to open it.

On the inside aluminum door, I have a half moon crest shaped window with 6 segments in it. One has to be tall, or taller than I am, in order to see thru it, unless you are standing on your toes looking out. I see this face staring in at me.

Man, at 59, and pretty much screwed up back and right leg isn't good for much, I admit, I am not as strong as I used to be.

My Blood, actually ran Cold.

Now, I had the razor sharp Mora in hand, and I have a much longer Mora Path Finder, in a Bowie style within reach by my desk.

What if I had have opened the door. There were no knocks. And, this guy would have pushed his way in, and friends would have been hiding around the corner of my house.

I would have been in some serious trouble.

After last night, I am seriously thinking about buying a hand gun, whereas, other than target shooting, I had no real use for one.

I am not a freaker by any means, and have been in a couple of past situations that necessary emotions kicked in and I handled myself quite well, but I don't mind telling you guys, as I mentioned, my blood ran cold and I was scared. First time in a very long time, I was actually scared for my situation.

I did call the Police, they came over in approx 15 minutes, so much for 911. I may have been seriously injured by then. They basically told me to take a picture with my phone if he returns and Poo Pooed it off as they left.

Well, FK me, easy to do when you get to legally carry a Glock on your hip.

A few years ago, some seniors down the block had the same happen to them. Both were killed. I would prefer that doesn't happen to me.

Bad thing was, I had my 270 apart, refinishing the stock, but had shells for it. The 7mm, no shells.
I just now read this and damn...I'm glad you are ok!

I haven't read the other replies, but I imagine you've gotten plenty of support for the notion of buying a handgun. I'm adding my support to that notion. Please do! Maybe a shotgun, even. I'm surprised you didn't immediately do that after those seniors down the block were killed.

Anyway, good luck to you, sir. Please be safe!

Pimpin' vitamins T&A to the people since '92!

Old
  (#70)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks guys. All sensible answers. Previously thinking of a Trail Cam, but Larry mentioned something that is probably superior and easier to maintain, so will look into that.

A Cam doesn't save you on the spot, but useful later, or if someone now has my house Targeted and will return when I am not home.

I always wanted a Pit Bull. I think that would be a huge deterrent, home or not.

I applied for an RPAL at the same time as my PAL. Just a Restricted Acquisition License .
At the moment, I don't have a hand Gun. Like Dave Mentioned, a Home Defender or hand Gun might be the scariest thing a person can use, but in Canada, not the wisest.

Should a person be drunk and hopped up on who knows what, if they try to puch their way in and start a scuffle, grab at, or grab your fire arm, you are now in the position to
either surrender it, or use it. Goes without saying, once you point a loaded fire arm at a person, you better be willing to use it, or they will use it on you.

Funny, as far as I know, from delivering Summons's year ago, I was made aware of an Old Canadian Law. I believe that it is still on the Books.

"A Man has the Right to Protect His Castle". That is why we were cautioned to not attempt to deliver a Summons after dark.

Besides, I don't think that Law will cover a person using any type of Fire Arm. Specially a hand gun.

I wouldn't want someone to know that I have a hand gun anyway, as I currently don't have a Gun Safe. If I keep going, a Gun Safe will be mandatory in the near future.

They may target my house specifically for guns later.

Normally, at a half decent time of the evening, a person could open the door. 3 am and you have to wonder. I was almost like, "Should I, or Shouldn't I.

What if the person had pushed their way in, and had Accomplices hiding around the corner of the house. Grappling with one person, I wouldn't have much time to react to more. It would then be a Do Or Die situation.

Definitely going to be taking more precautions from now on. And will start looking into
Cams and such.

I have a huge Cedar tree beside the Bar B Cue deck, in which would make an excellent mount for a hidden cam. I know the Trail Cams that have Infra Red, will take pictures and begin recording without the regular Flash, which would alert a person.

Then, they would just likely remove the cam from the tree. So that is one of the best options to at least find someone later if I am not home when it happens. A person only has to turn them on when you leave the house. Just have to remember to do it.

Other than that, the next closest thing might be a can of Bear Spray. That is easily obtainable, and more legal in use than a gun. Next time I am at Cabelas, I will buy a can. Usually around $60, but worth it if that is an only option. Apparently, those will shoot a steady stream out at a fair distance.

I usually don't have a problem thinking on my feet, but this time, it was should I or shouldn't I. I actually froze while accessing the situation, and in other circumstances,
that might have been detrimental to myself. I have been in other situations where I was able to assess, and spring into action. Definitely a feeling of Helplessness that I had not experienced before.

And I had one Bush Knife in hand, and another Bush knife close by, both shave ready
at my disposal. But, close quarter knife fighting is much different than whittling and doing Camp Chores. If a person rushes you, then it is, use it or lose it type of thing.

If it had have been, just some drunk looking for the all hours of the night Slut next door, it may have been as innocent as being at the wrong house, and I could end a persons life over that. Not so sure my conscience would allow me to live with that.

So many scenarios that could all end differently.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#71)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post

I always wanted a Pit Bull. I think that would be a huge deterrent, home or not.
I own a Red Nose Pitbull. Great dog but...

I'd like to recommend a German Shepard. Their smart, loyal and much easier to train than most guard dogs. They retain their training over time much better. IE you're not constantly refreshing them on commands.

Don't get me wrong I love Pit Bulls but the American Pit Bulls and the hundred if not thousands of mixed pit lines make these dogs unpredictable and a lot of times people and animal aggressive.

I know that sounds contrary to what you want but the best thing for a first time owner is a dog that's easy to train and responds well to owner commands. It will defend you much more intelligently and creates a less stressful environment both for the dog and owner.

A traditional Pit Bull (Staffordshire Terrier) would be better than an American Pit but I'd still go German Shepard.

I'd set up a training schedule of twice a week for 6-8 weeks. No more than 30 minutes each day. Less is more.

You'll be amazed at how smart German Shepards are.

Old
  (#72)
Mr. Wilson
Was
Mr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

03-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Me and one of my dangerous dogs
Attached Images

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

-- Mark Twain

336Robin "This smells of a Prid Quo Pro"

Old
  (#73)
chevybob20
AzB Silver Member
chevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond reputechevybob20 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

03-20-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:

This is the door his insurance company recommend that he install. He did and it is very stout. The wall will have to come down with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old
  (#74)
Bishop
AzB Silver Member
Bishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond reputeBishop has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Me and one of my dangerous dogs
That dog is no more dangerous than a handgun.

Its all about the owner.

Great looking dog.

Old
  (#75)
Mr. Wilson
Was
Mr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

03-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
That dog is no more dangerous than a handgun.

Its all about the owner.

Great looking dog.
Handgun is great...doesn't do a damned thing for me while I'm at work.
She does...and is enthusiastic about her job

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

-- Mark Twain

336Robin "This smells of a Prid Quo Pro"

Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: