Identify a table/help with restoration

Stealthimage_r

Registered
Hi everyone,

New here. Just got an 8ft table for $50 that is in pretty beat up shape. I've done some mechanic work before setting up and recovering tables so I took this home and got to it. As much as I hate to say, this will be an outdoor table as my house doesn't have the space inside for a table. It's a 3 piece slate table with no markings. So far I've oiled up the wood, replaced the leather pockets (new set in box came with the table. Pretty positive they are a copy of play master and not original) Flipped felt over for temporary play and leveled the table to the best of my limited tools at the moment. (4in carpenters scale and eye balling a rolling ball) Will relevel once I recover with new cloth and replace bumpers at same time and should have a machinist scale by then.

Has anyone here had experience with acrylic cloth for the play surface for an out door table? Is that the best choice for ourdoor or would I be better off with Valley teflon ultra?
0e61241ea8ffa336ba8003623c69e7c9.jpg
c0d4898767b2fc4af2a8dbb01f39ed36.jpg
7a5fb9e2ef3ad02e806c8e941f5739ab.jpg
a1d5215022088918c024e988b08e8808.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Obviously someone has doctor MacGyver that table.
AMF playmaster.........

Rob.M

Stealthimage_r

Registered
Yea the playmaster pockets definitely aren't for this table. The old pockets were tearing apart and the play master pockets were thrown in with the table they fit so I used them..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is synthetic cloth for billiard table buts its super expensive. One problem you may have here is all that pressed wood in the table. This table was NEVER meant to go outside. I don't know where you live but if its very humid this thing won't last long. Its gonna start warping soon after you put it outside.

Stealthimage_r

Registered
There is synthetic cloth for billiard table buts its super expensive. One problem you may have here is all that pressed wood in the table. This table was NEVER meant to go outside. I don't know where you live but if its very humid this thing won't last long. Its gonna start warping soon after you put it outside.
I live in the east bay in Northern California. The guy I bought it from has it outside in a covered patio and the table hasnt wrapped yet (at least not a significant amount to make it unusable. I haven't had to shim very much to level the slate. It doesn't get humid here so it should last me a decent time outdoors. I'm not looking to make it a perfect table. I have taken the steps to start the recover and recushion process. It has u23 rails which disappointed me but for a $50 table I can't expect much. By the end of this (table purchase, truck rental, and parts/supplies) this is now become a $650 table. I decided to go with championship mbs cushions and proform 505 felt. Should have table all reconditioned by next weekend once parts get in. In the long term I may tackle making new solid wood rails as the current ones are mdf. Wood on the feet have just started to split so will be doing some work to preserve those as long as possible (fill splits with wood glue then reseal the wood)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the east bay in Northern California. The guy I bought it from has it outside in a covered patio and the table hasnt wrapped yet (at least not a significant amount to make it unusable. I haven't had to shim very much to level the slate. It doesn't get humid here so it should last me a decent time outdoors. I'm not looking to make it a perfect table. I have taken the steps to start the recover and recushion process. It has u23 rails which disappointed me but for a $50 table I can't expect much. By the end of this (table purchase, truck rental, and parts/supplies) this is now become a $650 table. I decided to go with championship mbs cushions and proform 505 felt. Should have table all reconditioned by next weekend once parts get in. In the long term I may tackle making new solid wood rails as the current ones are mdf. Wood on the feet have just started to split so will be doing some work to preserve those as long as possible (fill splits with wood glue then reseal the wood)

It may not get hot but it is a pretty humid place. I bet the average is over 65% and that's pretty high. I just wouldn't sink much $$ into it if it was me.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may not get hot but it is a pretty humid place. I bet the average is over 65% and that's pretty high. I just wouldn't sink much $$ into it if it was me.

Depends on the month. It can get up to 65% in the winter months but most of the year humidity is in the 30's which is relatively dry. It also depends where in NorCal he is. It could be less humid or more humid.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can only imagine what would happen if I put a pool table on my back patio down here in West Texas. The humidity probably wouldn't kill it as quick as the 112 degree temps in July and August. The heat would be absolutely devastating to all that adhesive binding all that chip board and plywood together.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the month. It can get up to 65% in the winter months but most of the year humidity is in the 30's which is relatively dry. It also depends where in NorCal he is. It could be less humid or more humid.
I made my post based on a quick search of East Bay weather. Don't know exactly your location but if you're fairly close to the bay/ocean i would doubt humidity is ever 30%. The average for Walnut Creek is 75%. Most every East Bay town average is over 60%. Even in Stockton the average is 65% and that's quite a ways from the bay.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made my post based on a quick search of East Bay weather. Don't know exactly your location but if you're fairly close to the bay/ocean i would doubt humidity is ever 30%. The average for Walnut Creek is 75%. Most every East Bay town average is over 60%. Even in Stockton the average is 65% and that's quite a ways from the bay.

Averages take the highs and lows. It's not a constant 65% or 75%. There can be huge humidity swings in a single day. Mornings and evenings are more humid than the daytime.

Right now in Folsom:
49793128527_08f2d54d21_c.jpg

I'll post this afternoon. It will probably be in the 30's.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Averages take the highs and lows. It's not a constant 65% or 75%. There can be huge humidity swings in a single day. Mornings and evenings are more humid than the daytime.

Right now in Folsom:
49793128527_08f2d54d21_c.jpg

I'll post this afternoon. It will probably be in the 30's.
I hear ya. My main point is that unless its a truly outdoor table high humidity is no good. This table has a lot of pressed wood and that stuff can act like a sponge. It may stay straight a while but not long. I'd just throw some cheap cloth on it and play on it. I wouldn't put any real $$ into one.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya. My main point is that unless its a truly outdoor table high humidity is no good. This table has a lot of pressed wood and that stuff can act like a sponge. It may stay straight a while but not long. I'd just throw some cheap cloth on it and play on it. I wouldn't put any real $$ into one.

I agree, but with pool halls being close, people are looking for temporary alternatives.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
With press-board I dont think warping is as much as a problem as the wood swelling up and splitting when it gets damp. In WI it gets humid in the summer and I have had press-board swell up and not return to its original size, it looks deformed. If it wasnt in a basement before I wouldnt think its going to be a problem being outside unless water gets directly on the table.

Stealthimage_r

Registered
This table has already lived many years outside and hasnt swelled up yet. I expect to get more than a couple years out of it and at the point it is too far gone I'll hopefully be in a house that I can store one inside.

Maybe it was a mistake to post here as it seems everyone is a purist. I simply came to ask advice on felt material and cushion for a table outdoors. I didn't ask how to make an outdoor table play and last like a table indoors.